Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid flux question ?

Guys,

Does anyone know where I can buy liquid flux ?
    The one I have is paste one...

Thanks

Re: Liquid flux question ?

for what? there are many types of liquid flux.

Comment

for soldering bga, reflowing...

Comment

is it safe if I thin paste flux with alcohol ?

Comment

I use a no-clean liquid flux made by a polish company, AG Thermopasty, it comes in bottles from 50 ml to 500ml and prices from under $2.
          TME.EU distributes this brand in Europe, it's a reputable company.
          However, for bga and reflow you'll probably be better served by a flux that's more paste-ish, no water like liquid.

Louis Rossman has a Youtube channel where he repairs Apple products and took it upon himself (and his company) to buy big quantities of flux from Amtech (which have an antiquated sales mechanism involving signing and faxing authorizations and crap like that) and reselling it in his online store.

Here's the store link : https://mailin.repair/amtech-nc-559-v2-30-cc-16160.html and here's a video he made about this explaining in more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skxEr1eQ9o

It's expensive (for quantity) but genuine stuff.

Comment

http://www.mektronics.com.au/solder-...-flux-gel.html

seems local to you - relativly.

Comment

I've never seen such a fanfare made over flux. Sure there are exotic products. Or should we say there are simple products out there with exotic packaging and prices. I'll let the professional micro-solderers use whatever magic product they want, but there are basically only 2 types of lead solder flux and they are acid core and rosin core.

Paste flux is usually acid flux designed to solder copper pipes. Personally, I like to use liquid flux because it will hold a chip in place on the pcb. Flux really becomes an issue when higher temps and other metals are used, such as silver braze and brass. Then you might worry about burning off the flux, but not at electronic soldering stations. Pulleeze.
              Is it plugged in?

Comment

no, there are many types of flux using many types of chemicals - using tree-sap is ancient history!

i use EC45 with a small brush.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah but if your rosin sits too long and gets hard you can use it on your violin bow.
                  sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

no rosin in my solder or flux.

if you do use rosin based flux, you can thin it with IPA, it's based on it anyway.

Comment

I've been used Organic fluxes for 6 years, I collected pine tree rosin+alcohol +Lard or tallow +Olive oil then mixed it . (see the picture,look horrible but taste good.)

Tall oil rosin finds increased use due to its higher thermal stability and therefore lower tendency to form insoluble thermal decomposition residues.

One of the early fluxes was a mixture of equal amounts of rosin and vaseline. A more aggressive early composition was a mixture of saturated solution of zinc chloride, alcohol, and glycerol.(add acid, u can make a bomb.) (from WiKi)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by capwizard; 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        no rosin in my solder or flux.

if you do use rosin based flux, you can thin it with IPA, it's based on it anyway.
                        What's IPA mate ?

Comment

Is it safe if I use rosin and acetone for soldering flux ? or alcolhol and rosin ?
                          because they're flamable liquid and I will use it in 300 degree celcius ?
                          http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Flux,_flux,_flux
                          I'm interested making it myself....

Comment

IPA = IsoPropyl-Alcohol

dont use acetone unless you want an impressive fire.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              IPA = IsoPropyl-Alcohol

dont use acetone unless you want an impressive fire.
                              Coming soon to another Jackass episode

Comment

Oh I thought he meant IPA beer.... India Pale Ale

Comment

Originally posted by phat34 View Post
                                  Oh I thought he meant IPA beer.... India Pale Ale
                                  Yes that too, but you should drink that while doing the repair, not use it for cleaning
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                  X