what are these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are these things?

i have a Bunch of these things which i originally thought were caps of some kind. but i recently blew up a thermistor and it looks just like these things. where i get confused is the units of measure printed on the side of these things, they all seem different i have K,n,V,J,u and some have strips like a resistor. I'm not sure what they all are or where to start cataloging these things or if i just throw them all away.

K I'm guessing is Resistance?
    V volts?
    u micro farads?

the J and the n have me most confused and J is on most all of them. any help would go a long way. i need a 2K ohm thermistor (QAD0012-202) and I'm wondering how to go about finding one in this pile.
    Attached Files

Re: what are these things?

Those good sir are ceramic caps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_capacitor

The labeling defines capacitance, volts and series and sometimes have a manufacturing logo stamp somewhere.

Comment

all of them are? even the ones with stripes on them? can i measure them with a fared meter and just look for 25v,100v, etc... and use them like i would when replaceing a regular cap?

are you sure they aren't thermistors?

Comment

Those bean sizes ones with a L on them could be tantalum capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          Those bean sizes ones with a L on them could be tantalum capacitors.
          They sure are.

Unlike cermic/mylar caps they ARE polarized... like 'lytics, the stripe marks the negative lead.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

some of them may be SCK's or thermistors hard to tell from the picture...
            Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

The red rectangular ones are polyester film capacitors.

Comment

Remember, the red L on the tantalum caps indicates polarity. Tantalums are right opposite of aluminum electrolytics... the L indicates "+". NEVER subject a tantalum capacitor to reverse voltage or overvoltage, they WILL explode violently!
                Attached Files

Comment

I see a mix with mostly disc ceramic caps, some film caps (probably polyester), some solid tantalum caps (the tear drop shaped parts) and a very few probable monolythic ceramic caps. That white or light mint green part in the center front of the pic may be an R-C snubber. That large brown part at the left marked "105K" is a 1uF, +/-10 film cap.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

can i test them with a esr meter? or a farred meter? to check if they are good?

Comment

Usually the preferred method is to use a DMM with capacitance capability to do the ceramic and foil caps, and use an ESR meter on the tantalums along with a DMM (provided the total capacitance is not over range... I think my DMM tops out at around 20uf).

Comment

Working...
                      X