Sharp lc-42sb45u no response... at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp lc-42sb45u no response... at all.

Just got this TV in as dead... it's mine now, but I need to fix it for it to be worth anything. Caps are CapXon, and I replaced 2 of the 4 on the PSU board, but I didn't have any 680uf 50v caps for the other two.

The +5v is sitting at 4.4v coming off the PSU board. At the power switch itself, I have 2.7v.

There are 4 wires going to the board that has all the switches on it. I'm measuring them as such:

Red - 0.00 v
    Grey - 2.7v
    White - 2.7v
    Black - 0.65v

When I push the power switch, black drops to 0.00v.

Is the low +5v the problem here? If so, would I look to the other two capxon caps as the culprit? I'm uploading pics now and will post them shortly.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Sharp lc-42sb45u no response... at all.

Here's the power board -

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I've got high-res shots if anyone thinks looking at them would help. I'm not the best at diagnosing circuits... I generally just replace caps and hope for the best.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
        The +5v is sitting at 4.4v coming off the PSU board. At the power switch itself, I have 2.7v.

Is the low +5v the problem here?
        That would be my guess. Almost all TVs require a stable 5V standby in order for the main board to work properly.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've got high-res shots if anyone thinks looking at them would help.
          It will help. Please use manage attachments for my sake.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

For now, here's cell phone pics on smugmug - http://nadams.smugmug.com/Other/Sharp-TV/

I'll grab my digi now and get some better shots. I'll upload those here.
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Main power board -

The output of the power board is labeled as such. Both Power On/Off and +5v measure 4.4v

The 4-pin connector goes to the switch board-

Attached Files
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Sorry, Power on/off doesn't have any voltage on it. The two lower grey lines do. Is the switch supposed to pass voltage, or short to ground?
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Okay, let's break this down.

1) The most important voltage right now is 5V standby just below the power on/off. If it is not steady 5V, the main board will likely not work. 4.4V DC is way too low.

2) Power on/off is a pin that is toggled high (> 3V DC) by the main board when it is working properly. It tells the rest of the power supply to turn on.

3) Disconnect the main board from the power board. See if 5V standby is a solid steady 5V. If yes, then something on the main board is dragging down the power supply. If no, then something is wrong on the power board.

4) I see a lot of Capxon caps. You know what that means.

5) The service manual and power board schematic is on page 79. (22MB).

6) I snipped out the portion that relates to 5V. Refer to diagram.

7) With the main board disconnected, I would check D927 (middle pin or pin 2) and see what the DC voltage is. This should be 5V or more.

8) Check the DC voltage across C955 (the new Panasonic cap).

9) Check the DC voltage across C934 (47uF 25V) cap.

10) Remeasure 5V connector pin.

11) Report readings for 7, 8, 9, and 10.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Something strange here. R941, R944, R945 form a voltage divider that sets the output voltage of the supply. Q918 and R947 'tweek' that setting. With Q918 off the outpit voltage should be 2.50 * (1+ 11K/18K) With Q918 on the output voltage should be 2.50 * (1+ 11K/9.9K). You do the math.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'll be checking out everything when I get home from work later... I can tell you now that 4.4v is with the power supply board disconnected from everything, so the problem lies in the power supply itself. Also, the reading across C955 is also 4.4v

Like I said, I'll get all the info to you when I get home. If need be, the option is always there to just buy a replacement board off eBay and recap it. They're only $40... but I'd rather give fixing this one a shot.
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

What does the STANDBY logic line measure at?
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Retiredcaps - 7, 8, 9, and 10 all measure 4.44v
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Retiredcaps - 7, 8, 9, and 10 all measure 4.44v
                            I'm exhausted. I will take a look again when I get some rest and a clear head. I have the feeling the answer is front of me, but right now I can't see it.

And yes, I did the math that PlainBill wrote earlier.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

One last thought before I retire for the night.

If Q918 (a NPN) isn't turning on, then there are two possibilites.

One, R920, a 10K ohm resistor is open. Voltage never gets to the base.

Two, Q918, is non functional. It could be shorted? Test all combinations for shorts. That is, base-collector, base-emitter, emitter-collector. Any reading less than 30 ohms suggests it might be shorted and should be desoldered and verified out of circuit.

tiredcaps
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-09-2012, 12:50 AM.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                One last thought before I retire for the night.

If Q918 (a NPN) isn't turning on, then there are two possibilites.

One, R920, a 10K ohm resistor is open. Voltage never gets to the base.

Two, Q918, is non functional. It could be shorted? Test all combinations for shorts. That is, base-collector, base-emitter, emitter-collector. Any reading less than 30 ohms suggests it might be shorted and should be desoldered and verified out of circuit.

tiredcaps
                                R920 measures at 9991ohms

Q918 has 2.47v at what I'm assuming is base (the single pin on one side)

IC911 has 4.16v at pin 1 and 3.14v at pin 2.

IC909 appears to be where the 4.44v is coming from... I get 4.44v on pin 1 and 3.78v on pin 2.

What setting should my DMM be on to test the resistance of Q918? Also, if I'm looking at Q918 with two pins at the top and one pin down, Which is base/collector/emitter?
                                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

What setting should my DMM be on to test the resistance of Q918? Also, if I'm looking at Q918 with two pins at the top and one pin down, Which is base/collector/emitter?
                                  If you have a manual meter, set it to 200 ohms scale.

Emitter is the down arrow, collector is top, base is middle. It really doesn't matter if you just number the pins 1, 2, 3. Measure between 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3. That covers all the bases.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    What does the STANDBY logic line measure at?
                                    Don't forget to check this as tom66 requested.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Don't forget to check this as tom66 requested.
                                      Would that be the pin for Power On/Off?

In-circuit, on the 200 ohm scale, Q918 measures open.
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Would that be the pin for Power On/Off?

In-circuit, on the 200 ohm scale, Q918 measures open.
                                        1) Okay, let's assume Q918 is working fine. I neglected to see/spot C942 last night just before the base of Q918.

2) For the standby line, I can't see a test point on the connector so I would suggest measuring on the right side of the R920 or R946 resistor (as per schematic). I suspect that will be 4.4V DC as well.

3) I'm curious, what is the voltage reading on the collector (top) of Q918?

4) What is the voltage reading on the emitter (bottom) of Q918? I suspect I know the answer, but would like confirmation because my schematic interpretation skills aren't the best.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X