Sony CPD-15SX1 - Bad convergence in upper left corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony CPD-15SX1 - Bad convergence in upper left corner

This monitor was given to me about fiive years ago, and it has always had the issue shown in the picture. You can see that the black outline of the mouse cursor is offset from the white cursor. Blue lines up properly, but green and red are not in the correct location. Other than this, the monitor gives a good picture. What could cause this?
    Attached Files

Re: Sony CPD-15SX1 - Bad convergence in upper left corner

Originally posted by lti View Post
    This monitor was given to me about fiive years ago, and it has always had the issue shown in the picture. You can see that the black outline of the mouse cursor is offset from the white cursor. Blue lines up properly, but green and red are not in the correct location. Other than this, the monitor gives a good picture. What could cause this?
    It's a convergence problem. CRT monitors are prone to this problem.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I believe you have some adjustments in the menu, but they are for the overall picture.

Trinitron tubes are prone to this kind of local convergence issues - they are corrected in the factory by small magnets placed around the tube. You can try taking it apart and placing small fridge magnets on the back of the tube in the affected area to see if you can improve it without affecting the rest of the picture. Use Nokia Monitor Test for the generation of convergence patterns.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

If it's only in that corner, it may be a slightly bent aperture grill. Unfortunately not fixable.

Comment

I can't figure out how to take it apart. Something is holding the back cover on along the top edge, but I can't see what it is.

It only affects that corner and doesn't extend past the My Computer icon on the desktop.

Comment

I can't figure out how to take it apart. Something is holding the back cover on along the top edge, but I can't see what it is.
            There may be 2 or 3 plastic latches on the top. Should be similar to LCD monitors, but usually much easier to unhook them, though.

Try running degauss a few times and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then perhaps try Th3_uN1Qu3's method.

There's also this, but I don't think this will help your problem:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j404EgmdXSU

By the way, good to see another Trinitron user.
            I still have my Dell D1025HTX. It has absolutely amazing colors. Was watching a movie on it a few weeks ago. At one point in the movie, there was this dark room with bright windows - the dark spots in the room were truly black whereas the windows were blinding white. Good luck getting that on any LCD monitor.
            Last edited by momaka; 05-30-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

You know what's funny? I have both Trinitron and regular shadow mask CRT monitors. I like the shadow mask one better.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

And I have a 23" LCD monitor. And I love the viewing area, even though it's color rendition makes Th3_uN1Qu3's avatar look like a corpse.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

You should see the Dell E772c monitor that my parents use. I don't know why, but the color rendition is completely screwed. First it had a yellow tint, then it had a red tint. Currently, gray looks more like pink and blue objects really stand out against everything else.

On the Sony monitor, I can't find the latches along the top edge. There are two slots on the top edge, but I don't see any way to unhook any latches that might be there. The problem has existed for at least five years, so it should have been degaussed enough times.

It seems that this monitor has trouble displaying dark colors unless the brightness is turned up to an insane level.

Comment

Originally posted by lti
                    On the Sony monitor, I can't find the latches along the top edge. There are two slots on the top edge, but I don't see any way to unhook any latches that might be there.
                    The latches may be next to the slots (or they may be far away too).
                    Post some pics if you want. CRT monitors are usually very easy to open.

Originally posted by lti
                    It seems that this monitor has trouble displaying dark colors unless the brightness is turned up to an insane level.
                    Try playing around with the brightness, contrast, color temperature, and color adjustment (if available).
                    Normally on CRTs, I put all of the colors and contrast in the high 90's (%), and color temperature around 7500K to 8000K. As for brightness, that depends on the tube itself. I have several test patterns I can upload if you feel like playing around.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    You know what's funny? I have both Trinitron and regular shadow mask CRT monitors. I like the shadow mask one better.
                    Yeah, I have both shadow mask and Trinitrons as well. Can't say which I like better though - it just depends on the occasion. For watching movies, playing games, and viewing images, I prefer the Trinitron because it has superior colors. For reading text or editing images, I prefer my shadow mask Samsung SyncMaster 955DF because it's more crisp.
                    In this summer-like weather, though, I'm now using my family's computer (which has a 17" LCD). Those CRTs are better suited for the winter when it's cold .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Try playing around with the brightness, contrast, color temperature, and color adjustment (if available).
                      Normally on CRTs, I put all of the colors and contrast in the high 90's (%), and color temperature around 7500K to 8000K. As for brightness, that depends on the tube itself. I have several test patterns I can upload if you feel like playing around.
                      6500K FTW.

For watching movies, playing games, and viewing images, I prefer the Trinitron because it has superior colors. For reading text or editing images, I prefer my shadow mask Samsung SyncMaster 955DF because it's more crisp.
                      One thing i don't like about the Trinitron is that due to its phosphors being aligned in strips, it suffers from some kind of pixelization at very high resolutions (that is if you can reach those high resolutions without running into focus issues), whereas a shadow mask just gets blurry if you go past the tube's physical resolution. I run 1440x1080 on a 19" CRT, so if i get an LCD it would actually be a downgrade unless it's 1680x1050 or higher.

Those CRTs are better suited for the winter when it's cold .
                      True, my monitor puts out a fair amount of heat but then again, so does my computer itself. And i don't have any LCDs anymore. I was contemplating a LG 22" widescreen with a color issue (most likely bad cable), but nah... i'm sticking to my boob tube for the time being.

Comment

Now this monitor has another problem. The convergence is completely screwed along the right edge of the screen. The problem gets worse at lower resolutions and is very hard to see at 800x600. I will post pictures of this later.

Comment

Here are pictures of the top of the monitor and the problem that I am having. This only happens to white objects along the right edge of the screen. Any objects that are another color are displayed properly.

My camera never focuses on the object you are trying to take a picture of. Its OSD will place a box around the object I want to take a picture of, but it actually focuses on a random object or takes a picture that is completely out of focus.

Yes, that game was running at four frames per second. I really need to get a computer that isn't made by Compaq.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like there are latches right next to the slots (to the right for the slot on the left and the left for the right slot). Try sliding a thin object (like a putty knife or an old credit/debit card). If not, perhaps use a flashlight into one of the slots and see if you can see anything (maybe a special tool must be inserted in the slots?? - I doubt it, but still).
                            Normally, most CRT monitors of this size and age have only 4 screws and about 4 latches or so.

Not sure about the focus issues, though (both the new and the old one).

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3
                            One thing i don't like about the Trinitron is that due to its phosphors being aligned in strips, it suffers from some kind of pixelization at very high resolutions
                            Yeah, I've noticed that, too. That's why I usually run mine at the recommended resolution.

Comment

There are latches in those two areas. I just found them.
                              This monitor has those two latches at the top and two screws at the bottom. The base is attached to the back cover.

That issue you mentioned is strange. This monitor has a maximum resolution of 1024x768, and I never noticed any issues. If you set the resolution above 1024x768, the monitor shuts off and the power LED starts flashing orange.

Comment

This monitor has a maximum resolution of 1024x768, and I never noticed any issues.
                                So you mean it's a 15" ??? And you're playing _old_ games but still can't get past 4fps? Sheesh... you really DO need a better computer. I don't bother fixing any screen unless it's 19" or larger. I do have a laptop which has 800x600 as its native res... but that one runs DOS games just fine. And most of the early Windows ones too, like MDK, GTA, GTA2... It has a 2MB Trident video chip - i don't think you can do much worse than that.

So either you're trying to run a "newer" game (try a Voodoo II, or a S3 Savage4 but that's AGP), or there's something very, very wrong with your computer.

Comment

I was using this computer. It's a Compaq, so it will always be slow and unstable. That game was running at 320x240.

Comment

Well, i have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 that works great. And it has 8 (eight) SIMM slots and onboard LAN. It also weighs a ton, you'd think the Russians built it. And it has a power supply with a 92mm fan.

Comment

Working...
                                    X