Snap in Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap in Capacitors

I have an LG LCD tv (47LC7DF-UK) the picture only comes up after numerous times turning the set on and off. I hear buzzing coming from the SAMWHA capacitors (450WV 150uF) and wonder if these are snap-in capacitors. The name is confusing and I think that I can replace them by pulling them out and pushing new ones in. However I looked at the back and see the soldered parts and wonder if I am just delusional. Does anyone have any input? Thank you!

Re: Snap in Capacitors

caps are almost always soldered. samwha's are bad anyway, so solder in new ones. DO NOT PULL!

pics would come in handy (see the "manage attachments" section in the new post page.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Snap in caps feet are bent like a claw so they can be pushed down and snapped into the holes on the PCB. This allows them to stay on the board so you can flip it over to solder.

The same thing is accomplished by bending the legs sideways on regular leaded caps.

Solder makes the permanent connection there is no way you could just snap in a line voltage cap the effects of arcing if it didn't make perfect contact would be disastrous.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

oh, my bad there.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Here is a picture of the capacitors. Are SAMWHA capacitors okay to buy and put back in or should I buy something different? Anywhere good to get them or just go on Ebay? Also, can anyone send a link of how it is best to solder. I soldered back when I was a Boy Scout but that was quite a while to go. Thanks again!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mwturtle1; 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM. Reason: Add picture

Comment

FAQ on recap (excellent pictures and explanation) right here at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

I like this solder video at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Originally posted by mwturtle1
            Here is a picture of the capacitors. Are SAMWHA capacitors okay to buy and put back in or should I buy something different? Anywhere good to get them or just go on Ebay? Also, can anyone send a link of how it is best to solder. I soldered back when I was a Boy Scout but that was quite a while to go. Thanks again!
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you very much. One more question, I think. I should discharge the energy from the capacitor since it hasn't exploded or bulged yet, so what do I do. Allow the uninstalled board to sit out of the tv for an hour or use something to discharge the energy? Thank you.

Comment

It is best to wait about an hour for the uninstalled board to discharge, then measure the voltage on the 450V capacitors (and any capacitors over 35V) to confirm it is safe to handle.
                For replacements for the Samwha LP Series, I recommend Nippon Chemi-Con KMH (or the more compact KMM) Series.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Thank you for the replacement capacitor ideas. I've been thinking, "is this problem the capacitors?" I hear the buzzing/whirring from what I think is the large capacitors, but could it be something else from what my first post explained? I also have other smaller capacitors that look to be blowing their tops, but the actual noises are coming from the two larger capacitors that I sent a picture of? Very confusing for a newbie? Thank you.
                  Attached Files

Comment

the 1st picture shows 450v 150uf x2, outputting 300uf. I believe parallel caps have a longer lifespan compared to a single cap. I see nothing wrong.

the second picture shows at least 3 bloated caps. This is the problem when they bloat; they lose capacitance and gets high resistance. Then they make the semiconductors take in more current than usual.

Comment

The caps in the second picture are most likely to be your problem. replace them first.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Agreed but the noises are coming from the two big capacitors.

Comment

Replace the smaller capacitors first, if the tops of the big capacitors feel flat, leave them alone for now.

In this photo:https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...chmentid=16217 it looks like there is one in the top left hand corner which is actually open.

You could test the big caps with an ESR/capacitance meter.
                          Last edited by seanc; 06-13-2010, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Is there a better way to discharge these, I don't feel like waiting an hour and still dealing with a live capacitor.

Comment

For a start, measure them with a DVM to see if they're holding any voltage.

Comment

Discharging is simple. First measure, then, if theres significant voltage on it, use a power resistor like 10kOhm 10W (with old multimeter test leads connected to it) to discharge safely, then re-check for voltage.

For your actual problem, replace all of the smaller capacitors, Samwha is known to be trash, and on your pics several of them are faulty, and these that are not yet burst open, will fail soon.

I would use United Chemicon KY or LXY, Nichicon PW, Rubycon YXF or ZL, Panasonic FC,FK or FM series as replacement.
                                If you want to do a good job and the device is worth it, replace the larger Samwha capacitors too, with 105° long-life parts from Panasonic, Rubycon, Nichicon, Chemicon, BC Components or Epcos.
                                Digi-Key or Farnell is a good source for replacement parts, Ebay or local electronics stores are NOT.

Comment

Thank you all! I think I got it now, I just need to practice a bit before actually doing it.

Comment

In the top left corner of the first photo, a(nother) vented cap is visible (not sure if it's in the second photo as well). If that's buzzing, could it be close enough to those snap-ins to make it seem like they're making sounds?
                                    Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

The placement is pretty different, but maybe the vented caps are causing the sound to come from the larger caps because they have to work harder maybe. I bought plenty of each and will most likely replace all with rubycon caps in order get rid of the samwha caps. Thank you.

Comment

FYI-

About an hour ago, I was running my Samsung lcd tv with the back off to see what was hissing before the picture went out. I heard the hissing start and leaned closer to the power board to pinpoint the source. One of those 450v 150uF caps jumped and then exploded into flames! Scared the crap out of me, to say the least. Earlier, I had changed out the 2200uf caps like everyone else and that didn't fix my problem so I had to do something more drastic and this definitely showed me which caps are bad! Now I know what the inside of a capacitor looks like, lol. Good luck with your replacement!

P.S. My big caps had looked bulging but I read that those don't usually go bad. Live and learn. I also wondered about the snap-in aspect of the caps I ordered so I'm glad you asked.
                                        Last edited by lauriloo; 06-21-2010, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X