Netgear routers are also affected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear routers are also affected

They seem to have used Tolon caps in 2003 routers. Mine has a blown cap.
    Many others on the Netgear forum seem affected also!

Lets hope we don't see a Boeing 737 on this list!

cheers
    Steve

Re: Netgear routers are also affected

My Netgear FS605 switch has UCC (KMG) caps. Quite a pleasant surprise for me.

Comment

Originally posted by steve6375
      Lets hope we don't see a Boeing 737 on this list!
      The issues get real serious when you go down that avenue.
      Infrastructure, national security,it's mind boggling.
      At least my mind is boggled.
      Jim

Comment

some netgear stuff is designed by ZyXEL which is a great company. unfortunately ZyXEL is also using crap in their products....Supacon, Hermei etc.

Cisco is using Nichicon. but most of the time you dont need the complexity or expense of Cisco gear. talking about national security what about the cisco IOS vulnerability that was exposed a few months back. would find a lot of cisco routers in government organisations.

i see lots of companies trying for entrance to the enterprise market, LevelOne, ZyXEL, Dlink, Netgear etc. do they thing they will gain a position with crap caps?
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

When I see smoke coming out of my local ATM machine, I'll be be very upset.
          Jim

Comment

havent you seen pics of atm machines or airport announcement plasma screens GPF? i am waiting to see that live. most run on windows now.

Comment

Isn't it funny that the almighty Mr. Gates seems to have more GPF's than most people,
              and always in front of everyone. LOL
              Jim

Comment

Hmmm..have a dead router here at work...time to "look under the hood"...
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

about the gpf issue in atms: I once saw an ATM rebooting. Guess what OS it had: OS/2 Warp!!
                  The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

The amount of obsolete/legacy equipment still in use is amazing. My previous employer still used a 386-based DOS (5 or 6) system to run their conducted EMI test set-up in '04, and may still.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                      about the gpf issue in atms: I once saw an ATM rebooting. Guess what OS it had: OS/2 Warp!!
                      A bit OT but....No less than 6 months ago I was working for a big Aus retailer.
                      The Z/OS mainframe HMC (Hardware Master Console) was OS/2 Warp, on an equivalently old desktop.
                      It had a huge (sizewise) 9k modem always updating IBM with the status.

For those that don't know, if you loose both your HMC's you are in deep shizen.
                      Wish I looked at the caps in it back then.

All master consoles were from the early 90's, and their RSX controllers ran on old XT type servers running DOS5.? frontend for switching systems.
                      All since outsourced and shipped to CSC!
                      Last edited by cods69; 10-17-2005, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I used to have a Netgear 8-port hub, but that was replaced with a Billion ADSL Modem/Firewall Router, which contained Teapo SEK series and one Hermei HV series (3300uF 25V) unit; none of them were bulging since the modem was working for two years.

When I do find my Netgear 8-port hub, I will keep you updated.

(I cannot find anything about 'Tolon' capacitors; do you mean 'Tocon' capacitors?) www.tocon.com.tw
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
                          When I see smoke coming out of my local ATM machine, I'll be be very upset.

I wouldn't be upset at all if it had dispensed a load of cash to me right before it burned up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                            I've seen Windows here once

Comment

Unfortunately, I may literally be the one that has the most BSODs!!!

Because of the misery the way some PC builds go.

Many people report having crashes with newly built PCs.

Thanks to flawed motherboards and faulty processor chips.

ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yes, Netgear DG824M routers from 2003 are definitely affected, due to Tocon 2200uF caps.

My father and I both have one. His has just started failing to sync with the ADSL line, and has a classic bulging cap.
                                Mine was not used for over a year, so has had only about 18months usage. No damage evident so far on that one, but I have noticed an increasing number of disconnects.

Andy

Comment

can you get a pic?

are you going to recap it yourself?
                                  actually hubs/switches/routers are quite easy to recap. much easier than motherboards.

Comment

My dad's Netgear router (not DG824M) that was bought in the year 2005 (it's not that old) has Teapo capacitors. They haven't failed yet.
                                    My gaming PC:
                                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/vi...ight=capacitor

picture of my blown cap

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by willawake; 01-10-2006, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Poked apart a DG834GT to add a serial console, it has TEAPO caps... There is also one Chemicon cap...
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                        X