Good economical temp controlled soldering irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good economiccal temp conrolled soldering irons

the problem with goot is poor distribution. like their site doesnt even list their international distributors. weller is everywhere, hakko is not doing too bad also.

tips is a personal choice. if maintaining temperature is a concern then you want the biggest tip that will make the best contact with the pad. personally i would get one for recapping but also a nice standard chisel for doing electrics and stuff. i havent figured out the optimum dimensions for recapping yet.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Wellers go for a lot more than that over here. Had my eye on one for a while.

For what you pay for them on the rare occassion they do appear on Ebay Australia, you may as well buy a new one.

I have placed the order now. I discussed my needs with the rep and got a 1.6mm chisel tip along with the standard one supplied with the iron. I kept asking him, "What about spares" and he kept saying what for?

Such longevity will certainly be a change from the scope which I will still use for heavier electrical work.

Can't wait to get it. Just love getting stuff in the mail.

Comment

here's some more interesting ones i found today. goot again

this one is the PX-242 corded iron with ceramic heater. 70w, 220mm, 70g. Tip temp is about 420oC which might be too low for recapping. The wattage is good. About 23 pounds + vat. or $34.04

here are the tips. with the PX-2RT-B as stock and getting the PX-2RT-2D also, good for most jobs.

the PX-201. This one is quite interesting indeed because it is a variable temperature corded iron. Its got a cap also that can be put on 3 minutes after unplugging to go in the toolbox. It is 70w with ceramic heater and temperature can be set from 250-450oC, 210mm, 86g. not much additional weight for the temperature control. The handle looks a bit fatter but goot's handles are usually very comfortable. it uses the same tips as above. price about 39 pounds plus vat.

this one i wish i hadnt seen. RX-760AS digital station with 70w, 200-500oC. The tips have integrated heater. 160 pounds plus vat.

then the RX-802AS. 72w, ambient to 450oC. This one seems to be specifically designed for lead free. it is curious they would price it 185 pounds or $295, only a little more than the 760as. but it doesnt have such high temperature. it does have easy change tips though. there is a lock in the handle for tool free changing.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by willawake; 04-12-2006, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Good economical temp controlled soldering irons

looks like the RX-802AS is getting the most promotion from goot. must be their newest model.

here is another interesting one.

PX-251AS 70w, 250-450oC. $80
          Attached Files

Comment

What do you think of the Goot PX-201 temperature-controlled 70W iron, compared to the Hakko 936-12, which is $30 more but has 20W less maximum power?

I currently use a cheap 60W adjustable power iron, but I don't think it's really 60W because one 40W I tried (orange thing w/ slip-on tip) seemed to deliver more heat to its tip.

Comment

On the RX-802AS the tips integrated with the heater is like a higher end Hakko design.

Even the cartridge with the foam on it that the tip snaps into is very similar.

The FX-951 is a very nice piece of equipment indeed I can't believe how long I lived without a regulated iron.

I personally think the Hakko 936 is the best value for the money especially for beginners. The next step if you want to easily do lead free is the FX-951.

As for the quality that all depends on the type of heating element, sensing element, feedback circutry, and tip quality. Hakko uses printed elements while most lower grade irons (and clones) use wire wound elements.

Weller still seems to be obsessed with using wirewound elements probably because they're cheaper to manufacture.

Be careful with those switched dual wattage irons the ones from Radioshack simply have a diode that is switched in and out to chop half of the sine wave.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-13-2009, 07:08 AM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                I personally think the Hakko 936 is the best value for the money especially for beginners. The next step if you want to easily do lead free is the FX-951.
                Based largely on your recommendation, I got a 936-12. So far I'm loving it. It is a dream to work with compared to the 30w RS gun I was using before.

If I wind up doing this enough (I had 2 computers at work die this week due to caps going bad), I probably will get an FX-951.

Comment

I remember when I ditched my first RS iron and got an unregulated Hakko Dash (same slender design as 936). The feeling in my hands was night and day.

The only way I can describe it was like writing with a huge crayon (RS iron) then discovering the pen (Hakko) and how much more control you have.

If you do ever decide on an FX-951 be advised that it doesn't come with a tip. That was honestly the only thing that annoyed me about this model they at least could have included a conical one.
                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-13-2009, 10:29 AM.
                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

i must applaud to goot again for making such short irons.
                    it really makes for more precise soldering.

pitty it's not easy to buy them everywhere...

Comment

get the xytronic 258. its temp controlled, uses hakko-like tips, grounded, i love mine. i paid 20 bux for it in the local shop. CHEAP!
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

what about hakko FX-888? (noticed 888 {13.5-14.5}tips slightly shorter than 936). would it perform similar to FX-951 or a Goot RX 711AS?
                        FX-888 capable to do repairs to motherboard on notebooks?
                        Last edited by wolley; 02-22-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I bought from Altronics what they call a Micron T2380, and have been very satisfied with it

T2380 link

It looks like a Xytronic LF-1000, which Sam67 in England bought recently
                          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                          X