This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Wizard: The larger cache of the E8400 will help for a lot of things, as will the SSE4.1. However, the E5X00 series overclock like mad if you are willing. The high multipliers make overclocking easy. 4 GHz is nothing to those chips. The E8X00 will do that too, but you need better RAM and MB than with the E5X00.

It's a bit old, dealing with the first gen Core 2s, but this article gives a good indication of how much the extra cache helps. The extra cache doesn't make a huge diff for many media tasks. Also, MPEG2 decoding is easy, your E5200 shouldn't even lift a finger for that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tter,1709.html

Comment

I seems to have prechancant to have un-overclockable CPUs. The only one I had success was Am486DX-40 to 50. So I simply lived with that anyway and now wanted to be extra stable.

The processing is very heavy on CPU and GPU. So I'm giving much as I can afford as a TV PC processor as I have eventually haven't found a box that is a "killer". Unless I find a broadcaster's quality level SD tuner with processor attached for first rate quality that outputs component or HDMI. Wouldn't one exist at all?

Cheers, Wizard
      Last edited by Wizard; 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Wizard: What other "heavy lifting" are you doing with your MPEG2? My old HTPC was a single core P4 3GHz with crappy onboard video. It could playback 1080P MPEG2 (direct blu-ray rips) with no problems. 1080I TV rips it didn't even notice. H264 on the other hand would kill it easily. Now I'm using a E5200 with a better onboard card and it can playback anything I've thrown at it, even without overclocking. You having a dedicated ATI 3XXX should have no issues for playback.

As for overclocking, what MB are you using? A crappy MB that doesn't let you change the FSB strap will limit your overclocking quite a bit.

Comment

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600, sadly not the one with g0 stepping, 2.4ghz.
          GPUs: 2x 9800 GT EE 1024MB
          Motherboard: EVGA NForce 750i SLI FTW
          Case: Antec 900.
          Whatever DVD drive, card reader, 500GB HDD, and 3GBs of RAM a loaded Inspiron 520 would come with. :P
          2GB WD caviar.
          CD-R burner from Emachines T2245.

Comment

Asus boards is good for overclocking settings but I'm referring to the CPUs not so overclockable for what I got. And the urge to overclock had cooled as I prefer stablity.

I'm very fussy with picture quality so necessary for plenty of power to process and scale the video to TV so TV will not process it (1x1 mode). AA is very hard on GPU and CPU. The reason I saw excessive AA (coarse) is insufficient processing power.

What is good MPEG2 decoder that doesn't cause strange things and no hint of AA showing up?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

my new linux gaming rig:

Foxconn full atx case:

5 3.5 bays (3 internal, 2 external)

4 5.25 bays

2 usb 2.0 ports up front

1 92mm protechnic pwm fan (pulled from a dead cooler)- in back

2 80mm dual ball bearing vantec stealth fans (only $3 a pop at hypermicro!)- front by hard drive

550w acbel from hypermicro (will mod it soon to have a pci-e connector)

p4 prescott 630 (3.0ghz, ht, x86-64)

supermicro pdsge

nvidia geforce 8200 256mb pci-e card

happauge wintv-go tv tuner modded to have internal audio out cable

maxtor diomondmax 250gb SATA

dvd rw drive

dvd-rom drive

floppy drive

ubuntu 10.04 alpha 1
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Not much
                IBM T43 Pentium M 2.0 GHz/2GB RAM /80GB HDD XP Pro SP3
                Dell Dimension 4550 w/ P4 2.6GHz/ 1GB RAM/80GB + 500GB HDD XP Pro SP3
                Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

yayya thread ressurection. I completely forgot about this thread, actually it should be stickyed cause we get new members all the time who want to show off thier shit

I need to get some pics of my ~new 8 month old rig
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

wow... my computer above is my dad's now... mine is:

atech mac g4 clone case
                    recapped tuniq miniplant 950w PSU
                    intel dp35dp mainbold
                    PDC 1.8ghz
                    2gb ddr2 533
                    nvidia 7600gt 256mb
                    320gb WD caviar blue
                    asus dvd rw dl
                    ls120 (floppy for ide)
                    internal card reader
                    fedora 15 alpha x64
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

atech mac g4 clone case
                      intel dp35dp mainbold
                      PDC 1.8ghz
                      2gb ddr2 533
                      nvidia 7600gt 256mb <----
                      320gb WD caviar blue
                      asus dvd rw dl
                      ls120 (floppy for ide)
                      internal card reader
                      fedora 15 alpha x64
                      Is that one of mine?
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Is that one of mine?
                        yes
                        sigpic

Comment

^
                          Nice. I killed one last week. A year of it being beaten on and used on the test benches, it now displays everything all garbled....it's been dropped more than a few times tooo... Can't remember if you got one of the polymodded ones or a lytic one.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

it was a poly one.
                            sigpic

Comment

yes
                              ratdude = thief!

anyways, here we go, not just my systems but all my shit too

sorry about the large PNG's, but I prefer the quality

Main system:
                              I7-920 @ 4.0ghz
                              Cooler Master V8 (replaced default fan with higher CFM full read led fan)
                              P6T Deluxe V2
                              Corsair 850w
                              12gb DDR3-1600
                              Blue-ray/dvdrw drive
                              2x 300gb wd velociraptor intel raid 1
                              2x 500gb wd re3 intel raid 1
                              floppy drive
                              flash card bay with hdcp support
                              2x XFX GTX 285 OC'd
                              22" Acer
                              Logitech Z-5500
                              saitek eclipse (red)
                              Microsoft Wireless laser 5000 mouse

I *HAD* a creative f1tality titanium Pro PCI-express card with dolby live out toslink to those z-5500's. but the card started locking up, and then another exact card someone gave me started locking up. reinstalled the drivers again and again, but both cards went bad. I'm using onboard soundmax 2000b but hope to get an ASUS card with DTS toslink

server:
                              Dell Poweredge 700
                              Pentium 4 3.0ghz prescott
                              1gb DDR-400 ECC
                              2x WD black edition 1TB linux raid 1
                              ubuntu 9.10 server x86

router:
                              Abit KG7 (mostly recapped)
                              Athlon 1.0/266
                              512M DDR 266 ECC/Registered
                              4GB Compact Flash IDE
                              2x Kingston LNE100TX (WAN and LAN)
                              Netgear Rangemax WPN311 (Atheros)

Media Box:
                              Don't remember motherboard model. Yes those are KGZ's, they haven't bloated yet, so I haven't done a preventative cap yet
                              E6600
                              2GB DDR-2 800
                              160GB WD SATA
                              Integrated HDMI

laptop
                              DV-1000
                              Originally started as Celeron 1.3, put a P4 1.7 /w 512M
                              now its 1gb with a Scorpio 120

all taken with a sony DSC P50, after all these pics, with flash, and without, brand new energizer max AA batteries are totally dead. god I hate these old cameras
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Uranium-235; 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM.

Comment

oh my god I forgot to post my multimedia box

yes those are KZG's, but haven't given my any problems (yet, knock on wood)

you will also notice this wierd microsoft white adapter in the picture that shows the left of the box. that is a xbox 360 wireless adapter for two 360 controllers I have, using a USB -> header adapter. essentially making 360 controller support 'built in'. use it for the 20,000 SNES/Sega games I hacked off a rom website using some clever PHP programming and HTTP response and HTML parsing

I use HDMI audio for everything (built into the Nvidia chipset)

but at night, I turn off my screen and my winamp is set for the analog output to my amp, and I stream 108.pl meditative music through my theatre.

whole setup works beautifully
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Uranium-235; 04-14-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Asus G71 laptop custom painted of course

Comment

There are ten computers in the house I'm in, but I only own five of them. One is a web server, another one is an FTP server/secondary computer, another one is my main laptop, and the other two are PCs from the late 90s that I revived.

The web server's specs:

Brand, Make, Model: eMachines T1360
                                    CPU Brand, Make, Model: Intel Celeron Tualatin 1.4GHz/256K/100 FSB, SL6C6?, Socket 370 (previously had a 1.3GHz Celeron CPU)
                                    RAM: 512MB RAM (originally had 128MB RAM)
                                    Hard Drive Capacity: 8.4GB Fujitsu IDE primary, 60GB Seagate IDE secondary
                                    Optical Drives: Hitachi-LG CD-RW Drive and LG DVD-RAM Drive (Burner)
                                    Chipset: Intel i810E
                                    Video Spec, Brand, Make, Model: Integrated Intel i752 Graphics
                                    Sound Spec, Brand, Make, Model: Integrated Intel 82801AA (aka SoundMAX) Sound
                                    Network Adapter: Integrated Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Adapter
                                    Integrated USB Ports: Two Back USB Ports and Two Front USB Ports - All USB 1.1 Specs
                                    Original Peripherals Removed: Conexant Modem PCI Card
                                    Peripherals Added: D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Network Card, D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Wireless Network PCI Card
                                    Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
                                    Date Obtained: May 22, 2003

The FTP server/Secondary's specs:

Brand, Make, Model: Dell Dimension 8200 [Intel i850/400 FSB version]
                                    CPU Brand, Make, Model: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.8GHz/400 FSB/1.5V, SL7EY, Socket 478 (previously had a 2.0GHz Pentium 4 CPU)
                                    RAM: 1.5GB (2x256MB, 2x512MB) RDRAM (previously had 1GB RAM; sold remaining RDRAM)
                                    Hard Drive Capacity: 120GB WD IDE primary and 250GB WD IDE secondary with one 80GB WD external and one 1TB WD SATA internal (enclosure)
                                    Optical Drives: LG CD-ROM Drive and Memorex DVD Burner
                                    Chipset: Intel i850 (NOT Intel i850E)
                                    Video Spec, Brand, Make, Model: Dedicated XFX nVidia GeForce 7600 GT [256 GDDR3 RAM, AGP 4x/8x]
                                    Sound Spec, Brand, Make, Model: External Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI 5.1 Surround Sound Sound Card
                                    Integrated USB Ports: Two Back USB Ports and Two Front USB Ports - All USB 1.1 Specs
                                    Original Peripherals Removed: Conexant 56Kbps PCI Modem, AOpen AcerLAN ALN-325 PCI NIC
                                    Peripherals Added: DLink DWA-552 PCI Wireless NIC, Stratitec PCI USB Card
                                    Operating Systems: Windows XP Professional SP3 with Ubuntu Linux 10.10 Maverick Meerkat dualboot
                                    Monitor Spec, Support: Dell P793 and Dell M770 Monitors; Dual Monitor Support
                                    Date Obtained: January 2, 2002 [Original would have been December 2001]

The Main Laptop's specs:

Brand, Make, Model: Dell Inspiron 8100
                                    CPU Brand, Make, Model: Intel Pentium III-M Tualatin 1.2GHz/133 FSB/1.4V, SL5CL, Socket 479
                                    RAM: 512MB SDRAM
                                    Hard Drive Capacity: 80GB WD IDE
                                    Optical Drive: Matshita DVD/CD-RW Drive
                                    Chipset: Intel i815EP
                                    Video Spec, Brand, Make, Model: Dedicated nVidia GeForce 2 Go 32MB
                                    Sound Spec, Brand, Make, Model: Onboard ESS Technology Maestro-3i Stereo Sound [has line-in port, too!]
                                    Network Specs: 10/100 LAN + 56K, V.90 Mini PCI card modem
                                    Integrated USB Ports: Two Back USB Ports - All USB 1.1 Specs
                                    Other Specs: Infrared, Two PCMCIA (Cardbus) Connectors, Serial Port, Parallel Port
                                    Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Professional with Ubuntu Linux 10.10 Maverick Meerkat dualboot
                                    Date Obtained: December 24, 2001

The 7th PC's specs:

Case Type: Generic AT/ATX [stated as such because there are switchable templates for the case]
                                    Motherboard Brand, Make, Model, Revision, Type: A-Trend ATC-6240M R03 ATX Motherboard
                                    BIOS Type, Release/Version: Award, v1.1.08 [1999/12/08]
                                    CPU Brand, Make, Model, Speed: Intel Pentium II 400MHz
                                    RAM: 512MB SDRAM
                                    Hard Drive Capacity: Two 40GB Notebook Internals
                                    Optical Drive: AOpen 52X CD-ROM Drive and Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CD-RW Notebook Drive
                                    Chipset: Intel i440BX
                                    Video Spec: nVidia GeForce 3 Ti-200 64MB Video SDRAM AGP Card (from Dell Dimension 8200)
                                    Sound Spec: Sound Blaster Vibra 16X CT4170 ISA Sound Card and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 PCI Sound Card (originally had no sound card!)
                                    Network Adapter: 3Com 3C905TX 10/100 LAN NIC
                                    Operating Systems: Quad-boot [Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 Pro SP4]
                                    Monitor Spec: AOC Spectrum 9G 18" Monitor
                                    Other Specs: Two Back USB 1.1 Ports, USB 2.0 4+1 PCI Card, Serial Port, Parallel Port
                                    Date Obtained: May 11?, 2005

*Note: This PC's motherboard had bad caps lining the CPU slot. Thanks to Badcaps.net, it lives on.*

Cyrix Computer's (Cyrix2's) specs:

Case Type: Generic AT PC Case
                                    Motherboard Brand, Make, Model, Revision, Type: Elpina PCChips M571 3.2a AT/ATX Motherboard
                                    BIOS Type, Release/Version: American Megatrends, 1999/05/14
                                    CPU Brand, Make, Model, Speed: AMD K6-2-300/AFR, 300MHz, CXT core; Socket 7 (originally had a Cyrix CPU, hence the PC's name)
                                    RAM: 128MB SDRAM
                                    Hard Drive Capacity: 3GB IDE primary and 9.4GB IDE secondary
                                    Optical Drive: Sony CDU5211 CD-ROM Drive [32X read speed]
                                    Chipset: SiS 5598
                                    Video Spec: Onboard Video via SiS 5598 Chipset [1-4MB Shared System RAM]
                                    Sound Spec: Onboard Sound (C-Media CMI8330) via SoundPro Chipset
                                    Network Adapter: Netgear FA311 10/100 LAN NIC
                                    Operating System: Dualboot W95C/W98FE
                                    Monitor Spec, Support (Original, Replacement, Current): AOC Spectrum 9G 18" Monitor shared with 7th PC; Single Monitor Support
                                    Other Specs: Onboard USB 1.1 Ports) via Mainboard Connector), PS/2 Mouse Connector (also via Mainboard Connector)
                                    Date Obtained: January 3, 1999

*Note: In 2011, I actually tossed this motherboard in the trash because I thought it stopped working in 2004.*
                                    Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                                    I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                      ratdude = thief!
                                      Actually both Top Cat and ratdude are!
                                      The real true story ... way back, I found an auction on ebay for 13 (or was it 14?) dead EVGA 7600s. I didn't have any computers with PCI-Express at the time (nor the experience to recap that many), so I just passed on the deal here.
                                      Still don't have a computer with PCI-E (well technically I do, but it's motherboard is dead, lol).

Anyways....
                                      As for my computers - I'll spare you the details because almost all of my computers are a "work in progress" and have been like that for some time. But just for a semi-short summary:

Gaming computer (hey, don't laugh!):
                                      AMD Duron 1.4 GHz, 1GB RAM, Asus 9200 SE 64 MB, 2x 20 GB HDDs, Jetway mobo with GSC caps (I do have replacements for them, but just want to see those GSCs die first ).

Download/I-don't-give-a-crap-about computer - Gateway Select 750
                                      (was trash picked):
                                      AMD Athlon 750 MHz, 384 MB RAM, Radeon 7200, 1x 15 GB HDD, 1x 160 GB HDD

School laptop - Dell Latitude C-600:
                                      700/850 MHz Pentium 3, 512 MB Ram, 8 MB Radeon M1 video, ESS 3 Maestro Audio (VERY LOUD OUTPUT!!!), 20 GB Deskstar HD

No pictures because they are all rather unimpressive . Got more computers/parts too, so except for the school laptop, most of the above systems are subject to change anytime.

Comment

I have lots of computers but I have two "main machines"

Laptop:
                                        5 months old
                                        Crappy Toshiba L455D-S5976
                                        AMD Sempron SI42 2.1Ghz
                                        2GB DDR2 RAM
                                        320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black
                                        Windows 7 Home Premium
                                        Desktop:
                                        5 years old
                                        Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz (I'm not rich!)
                                        2GB Kingston DDR-333 RAM (only runs at DDR266)
                                        60GB Hitachi Deskstar hard drive
                                        Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

atech mac g4 clone case
                                          intel dp35dp mainbold
                                          PDC 1.8ghz
                                          2gb ddr2 533
                                          nvidia 7600gt 256mb
                                          320gb WD caviar blue
                                          asus dvd rw dl
                                          ls120 (floppy for ide)
                                          internal card reader
                                          fedora 15 alpha x64
                                          its been a while and other than a mod or 2 and a fedora update (no longer alpha, its stable), I have some pictures of the beast.

First, a Picture of the beast's temporary habitat:

Right now, my house is awaiting major rewiring, and since what will be my room is my parents's office right now because future office has non-grounded crappy wiring, I had to move it to the basement. I also will eventually use my nicer samsung 20" and my better speakers but this desk will not allow that.

Next, a full frontal:

behind the door at the bottom are 2 usb 2.0 ports, a firewire 400, and headphone/mic jacks.

you can see why I got the case for $17 + shipping... they were leftover cases from when fry's got out of the store brand computer buisness. it is actually a nice case once you do some mods (see below)

now for a butt shot!

here you can see the I/O it offers- I added the extra 2 usb ports outside of the I/O shield since they had snap outs for that size of a plug fixture (also the size for a gameport).

The other mod you can see is the rear fan vents. see also this crappy picture:

what I did (when I got the case a year ago) was I completely dremel'd out the metal part and I broke off some of the plastic bars to give some actual airflow.

recently, I also added some intake vents in the bottom:

what I did was I first stripped it down to the metal cage (all guts and plastic off) I then plotted my holes on graph paper taped to the bottom of the hard drive cage, using the rivets as boundaries. I then took a step drill (xmas tree bits) and drilled the holes to .5". I wish I had used a center punch first, as the drill "walked" a bit while drilling. I then took a deburring tool and deburred all the holes (what a pain in the ***). last, I used a magnet to carefully get all of the shavings out of the case.

Last, the guts:

not much to say here...
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by ratdude747; 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X