Another Example of Apple's Superior Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Example of Apple's Superior Operating System

I don't really pay for software so I have choices already. I use neither wmp or itunes. There are tons of mp3 players and a good amount run on both linux and windows.

and if you dont like either of them , you can modify it to your needs and even make a new one entirely.
    There are windows shell replacements. Nobody is coding a gui from scratch: don't reinvent the wheel.

Stuff like kino and to a lesser extent gimp is still immature. Windows has more older apps whose developers have been at it a while.

Comment

so dont mind microsoft having the ability to delete your files just because they think they are too old?

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

look there. you will see what i am talking about
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Ratdude, you are making some good points but the defective by design site is pretty much a lie.

No version of Windows can delete your files just because MS says so. It's a complete fabrication.

Windows gives you more choices not less. I don't like DRM, but it's a CHOICE, if you don't like it don't use it.

Linux: Can run any non-DRM media you have a player/codec for. You can't run DRM media, even if you wanted to. Less choice.

Windows: Can run any non-DRM media you have a player/codec for, PLUS you can run DRM media ONLY IF YOU WANT TO. How is that less of a choice? If you want to be stupid and buy something with DRM Windows will support that. If you never touch DRM windows will work fine too.

Windows will not magically DRM your files. If your file has no DRM it will stay that way and Windows will play it fine. If you are smart and never buy anything with DRM then it will never affect you.

Even all the DRM cracking/removal tools work in Vista / 7. MS doesn't care and won't stop you.

Comment

Well they haven't deleted any of my 3 or 400 GB of movies. They have not touched my mp3s either. If you're stupid enough to buy drm protected content then you have to deal with it. Nobody will use an OS that checks through their shit as soon as they find out.

Comment

Windows never deleted any files on my PC ever. Now it has compressed some older files but they are still there and perfectly usable.
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
              List of linux apps..
              Ratdude, the problem with a list like that is that while you have lots of choices in Linux, lots of times all those choices are simply inadequate or downright SUCK.

Sure one of the Linux office programs will get a lot of people by. However, if you legitimately need something only MS Office has then the Linux ones simply will not do.

Second, Linux media players SUCK. A list of crap is still crap. Saying they are good is just burying your head in the sand. Take a look at Foobar2000 for windows. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it kicks the snot out anything on Linux. So much so that it has tonnes of people using it in wine. It's free too.

It's like the GIMP. That thing sucks and Linux users are hurting their cause by saying that it's a Photoshop replacement. It's not, its an embarrassment.

Linux doesn't need a bunch of OK applications on the desktop, it needs BETTER applications. Look at servers. Linux has tonnes of top notch server apps and it's kicking ass in that area. Until the desktop has the same things Windows will rule.

Comment

i give up. the rst of you can go kiss bill gate's nast yass, im outnumbered. just remember that you have right that micorsoft denys you. ill save money and not go bankrupt, you have fun flushing away your money on a 300 dollar dvd.

its not that costing money is bad but that charging too much and by denying people their rights is immoral. you can avoid all this but like a bunch of sheep you let them kick your ass.

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

go there and see what you really deserve.

i dare you
                sigpic

Comment

also read this
                  sigpic

Comment

few lasts posts of washu = ++

it indeed is ridiculous that linux has worse media players...
                    as it should be more flexible because it's opensource...

but anytime i see win port of linux player, it's horror!
                    and i don't think linux versions are any better...

it's just extremely crude...

it seems taking from linux and adding to win works(to get better win proiduct), but not other way around...
                    probably because they would have to cheange whole architecture of the os, and it's too late now.
                    ie we have ffdshow that heavilly borrows from ffmpeg...and it's excellent...
                    on linux there are only ugly media players that bundle lot of the codecs, but lack many things ffdshow has...

and they're ugly probably because linux bunch still needs to learn how to think in gui terms...
                    hell, ms windows media player is better than vlc, mplayer and smiillar....

Comment

Radude:

I'm not saying Linux sucks. It's great for a lot of things. However on the desktop it needs A LOT of improvement before it's a viable alternative to Windows. Just saying it's better than Windows when it's not isn't helping any. The Linux community needs to admit that much of the desktop stuff is still sub-par and then fix it.

Also, spreading falsehoods like defective by design isn't going to win any converts. Any Windows user that is considering Linux isn't going to be an absolute newbie. They will be smart enough to know that "MS can delete your files" and similar crap are lies. It makes Linux users look like a bunch of raving lunatics and keeps potential converts away.

Comment

Hi Ratdude!

I'm pretty anti-MS too.
                        I'm certainly not going anywhere near Mr. Gates OVERPRICED, RIPOFF products if I can help it. (thought I'd borrow and modify an anti-Mac rant there)

That said, many of Washu's points are valid.

MS dominates the market not just because of Inertia but because Linux and Mac haven't come out with something that people feel is a lot better.

I feel that Mac is ahead of Linux here, but I applaud Linux for trying.

That said, Windows DOES offer the most choices, as the FanCrowd over there says.

Washu is also right about DRM. If you don't buy stuff with DRM, Windows itself doesn't care.

One of the many things I dislike intensely about Vista is the massive effort the OS undertakes to prevent theft of DRM'd material such as Blu-Ray disks and its own self, Vista. Crap like "tilt bits" was required by Hollywood in order to qualify for playing Blu-Ray. These are designed to either stop decoding if tampering is detected all the way up to the display or cut the resolution way back.
                        MS insists that these anti-theft features only come into play when actually playing protected content.... but I tend to not trust them.

Notice that no Mac plays Blu-Ray? They could have easily integrated Blu-ray into the All-In-One iMacs. Why didn't they?
                        Steve looked at BluRay and called it "A Bag of Hurt" . It would "Vista" his OS and he didn't want to do that.
                        Fast forward a couple years and he was right: Vista bombed and Mac is growing nicely without BluRay.

BluRay itself isn't decimating the DVD market either as was hoped. I've got some and they don't look all that better than a DVD on my average 32" TV.
                        (Yes, they do look better on a big set in the store)

As bad as I feel that Windows is, it doesn't generally delete or DRM files on its own. However, it's such a gullible, broken over-complicated monstrosity that all manner of stuff happens for various reasons.

MacOS First!
                        Linux Second!
                        Windows Third.
                        My personal preference anyway.

Keri

PS. Yes, I KNOW that I'm really bad at Linux!
                        It's a Philosophical preference you see.
                        Last edited by KeriJane; 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM.
                        The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                          Hi Ratdude!
                          One of the many things I dislike intensely about Vista is the massive effort the OS undertakes to prevent theft of DRM'd material such as Blu-Ray disks and its own self, Vista. Crap like "tilt bits" was required by Hollywood in order to qualify for playing Blu-Ray. These are designed to either stop decoding if tampering is detected all the way up to the display or cut the resolution way back.
                          MS insists that these anti-theft features only come into play when actually playing protected content.... but I tend to not trust them.
                          Vista's protection of Blu-ray only comes into play if you use the "official" way. Rip the disk (tools are out there) and Vista will not stop you. You can then play the Blu-ray on anything, even your Mac.

As for trusting MS. Lots of people have claimed Vista will screw up your media, DRM or not. In the three years that Vista has been out there has not been ONE credible report of this actually happening. I don't trust MS much either, but their track record on this is spotless.

As for OS install DRM, you use OSX the most DRMed OS of them all. Requires a hardware dongle to install. That dongle just happens to be an overpriced computer.

Notice that no Mac plays Blu-Ray? They could have easily integrated Blu-ray into the All-In-One iMacs. Why didn't they?
                          Steve looked at BluRay and called it "A Bag of Hurt" . It would "Vista" his OS and he didn't want to do that.
                          Fast forward a couple years and he was right: Vista bombed and Mac is growing nicely without BluRay.
                          How did Vista "bomb" It's not as popular as XP, but it sill has more in use copies then every Mac ever made.

Also, part of the reason there is no Blu-Ray is that not all Macs could play them. Correction, not all Macs can play them in OSX. Vista can on the same hardware. Steve just didn't want that embarrassment. Once the next version of OSX drops support for the early Intel Macs you'll probably see Bue-Ray.

Comment

RatDude just can't accept the fact that he isn't going to convert us Ms Windows people to Linux just by saying its better. Fact is just to make his stuff usable you have to go find a bunch of other crap to plug into it. This isn't my idea of a complete OS. For some reasom windows will work right out of the box. I don't know what my Xp cost because it came with the PC. The full disk with the serial came with it too. Now as far as $300.00 goes, I just don't think so! Maybe $300.00 for the Xp Pro Corp VLK edition.
                            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                            Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by washu

How did Vista "bomb" It's not as popular as XP, but it sill has more in use copies then every Mac ever made.
                              Having to offer "Downgrade Disks" from V(bleep!)sta to bad 'ol XP in order to sell computers isn't your idea of "Bombing"?

V(bleep!)sta was supposed to completely sweep the market. Its forty million different versions and price points were supposed to be everything to everyone!

If you try to recommend Vista to someone because of its more secure nature, their friends come over en masse and call you an Idiot and don't go pushing that garbage on their unsuspecting friend.
                              I found this out this year, in 2009! After people have had a couple of years to get used to your monstrosity.

I'm sorry for calling you part of an MS FanCrowd. That was indeed inaccurate.

You're a Microsoft OPERATIVE ! Or family member.

Watch out for Washu Gates, Black Helicopters, the Communists and especially V(bleep!)sta!
                              AHHHHHH! 2012 is coming!

Pleas save us, Steve and Linus
                              Keri

PS. Just Kidding, OK, Mr. Gates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOh6Nh8w6f8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSDlSVDibA
                              Last edited by KeriJane; 09-13-2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

If you try to recommend Vista to someone because of its more secure nature, their friends come over en masse and call you an Idiot and don't go pushing that garbage on their unsuspecting friend.
                                I have several friends who have, use and LIKE Vista. I didn't push it on any of them, they got it themselves. My anecdote is better than your anecdote.

Non Anecdotal: Vista IS more secure than XP. It's also more secure than OSX too as pwn2own showed.

I'm sorry for calling you part of an MS FanCrowd. That was indeed inaccurate.

You're a Microsoft OPERATIVE ! Or family member.
                                I thought we were both past the petty insults. Guess not.

I don't like Vista. I don't use Vista in any primary role. My machines went XP -> 7.

I have some VMs to test Vista with and that's it. I go and actually try the things people say about Vista. My tests show that 99% the crap people say about Vista is false.

Just because I defend Vista doesn't mean I like it or have any relation to MS. There are lots of things wrong with Vista and if someone actually posts a TRUE statement about Vista's failings I'll back that up. Posting crap like "Vista will delete/DRM your files" and I'll "defend" Vista.

I have in the past and will continue to defend Linux and/or OSX if someone posts something false about them.

I study computers and OSes extensively for both work and personal. I have over 10 different hardware architectures represented in my home alone. I know how they work and what they can and cannot do.

Vista is just one of many OSes I have experience with and my conclusion is as such: I don't like it, I don't wish to use it. However it doesn't do 99% of the bad things people say it does.

Comment

Originally posted by washu
                                  I thought we were both past the petty insults. Guess not.
                                  Oh, please, Washu!
                                  Please don't say that you took that seriously?

It's been fun debating with you, if not some of the others.

I did say "Just Kidding" didn't I?

Offering my very most sincerest apologies to any hurt feelings even though no one here has spared mine,
                                  Keri

PS. I don't take it personally because that I know that you're all just very, very jealous of Mac Users and to a lesser extent Linux Users.
                                  Last edited by KeriJane; 09-13-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Oh, please, Washu!
                                    Please don't say that you took that seriously?
                                    No I did not, but I don't see the point with insults serious or not.
                                    It's been fun debating with you, if not some of the others.
                                    On that point I agree.
                                    PS. I don't take it personally because that I know that you're all just very, very jealous of Mac Users and to a lesser extent Linux Users.
                                    Why would I be jealous of Mac or Linux users? I don't care what OS you run.

You were the one who started this all with saying OSX is superior, when clearly and factually its not. Of the big 3 it is without question the worst on a technical level. If it works better for YOU and does what YOU do better then great, use it and be happy. You aren't going to convert anyone by spreading falsehoods about your favorite OS.

Comment

Guess what, they are all the best.

Linux is the best to Ratdude, Windows is the best to washu, and mac is the best to Keri. Thats the way it works, and always will. Trying to change someone else's opinion is pointless because you never will.

Done.

Comment

Why would we be jealous of mac? I think most of us have the skill level to run OSX on our hardware. Besides the plastic cases, what is there to be jealous of?

ms windows media player is better than vlc, mplayer
                                        Nope. Not WMP. WMP is garbage. VLC is ok but won't run things not in the program, ie Lagarith, Cineform, DNxHD. I like WMP Classic Homecinema. It comes with a x64 version and has multiple rendering options. Best media player out there as far as I know.

As for gimp, its not crap like kino. It does work pretty much like photoshop UNLESS you want photoshop's advanced features (ie 3D transformation in CS4). So for most people its OK. You can also WINE photoshop up to CS3 so its not the end of the world. Open Office is ok too for non DB applications.

Vista is pound for pound just like XP. Problem is the stupid UAC prompts and larger footprint with pretty much no benefit. That's the main reason it sucks. Download a BricoPack and you have everything vista has without the slightly dumbed down interface.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                                          As for gimp, its not crap like kino.
                                          GIMP is crap. It's not that it cannot do what PhotoShop does. It is a very capable photo editor. The problem is that it's interface is terrible. It has one of the worst GUIs of any program in existence.

I have personally seen several people try Linux, like what they see, then try GIMP to touch-up a few photos. Back to Windows they went, every one. It's so bad it hurts the rest of Linux.

It's like saying here, have a free Yugo, it's still a car right. No thanks, I'll still buy a better one.

It also still lacks proper 16 bit support, which is very important for anyone with a decent camera.

Comment

Working...
                                          X