Another Example of Apple's Superior Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Example of Apple's Superior Operating System

JP: Using a Dell XP home CD on other Dells that came with XP home is not breaking the license. You are not a pirate in this case. Each of your Dells has an SLC which tells the Dell XP home CD that you have a valid license. MS is perfectly OK with what you are doing.

Now, you can't use a retail XP home CD in this way. It won't look for the SLC. You could use a valid XP home install key, but that would cost more money which you don't need to pay.

I can't say for sure what's going on with your VLK CD. It should work. A hang indicates some kind of problem or incompatibility. It's not a license issue.

Comment

My Brother is on that Carcinogenic OS called Vista. He had to call MS and deal with them on the phone because he had reinstalled one too many times on the same PC that it came with. What a POS! Remember Xp is NOT Vista, and OSX isn't Xp. Apples and Oranges maybe????
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
        Hi Washu

OK, how about a lot less ANNOYING than MS?
        Yes, it's so annoying that people are leaving Windows in droves. Oh wait, Windows still has 90%+ market share 8 years after activation came out. Doesn't seem to be that annoying.

You may call MS's scheme and software "better" but I don't.
        Lets see. I have an HP. It's almost the same as an Intel mini hardware wise. I can run Linux, BSD, Solaris, BeOS/Haiku and tones of other minor OSes. I can run XP using the included SLC. I can run any other MS OS if I have a license. The only compatible OS I can't run legally is OSX. The only compatible OS that has DRM in it to prevent it running on my HP is OSX. Not even if I pay Apple. Who is restricting my rights? It's not MS, it's Apple. I call that better.

Ask a Windows user how "great" Windows (especially Vista) is. Especially if they've run afoul of Activation.
        You do realize that there are millions who use and LIKE Vista? It's no where near as bad an OS as you claim.

Then ask a Mac user how "great" OSX is.
        Sure, lets put some people in front of 10.0 and see how they do. Vista is a godsend compared to that abomination. Even ME would be better.

OSX was so bad before 10.3 that Apple had to re-release the OS9 compatible G4 after the G5s came out. OS9 was really shitty in it's own right so that's saying a lot on how bad OSX was.

Just use "awful, rotten Leopard" for an example.
        I bet people who were bitten by the data loss bug in the release of Leopard thought it was pretty rotten. Or how they introduced a wonderful windows feature: The blue screen of death. The firewall off by default was a nice touch too.

Need I go on? Leopard has a huge number of critical bugs, way worse than Vistas.

Since you will probably come back with updates that fixed some of those issues, SP1 fixed most of Vista's issues too.

NOT because we've all drank the Kool-Aid!
        There are people out there who still use the crappy OS9 for no reason other than being fanboys. That's pure Kool-Aid right there. Apple's users will defend anything they put out. I don't see too many windows users defending or trying to run ME, even though it's a better OS then OS9.

Comment

You can't argue about someone's god. They will never believe you. In their mind apple shits gold. Its like fighting with a scientologist.

Comment

I have a friend who is Muslim. Try arguing with him concerning his god! His real gods are beer and girls but he just can't see it.
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

or even worse than me, 98 fist edition. it sucked. and even IT was better than OS9.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I had to put 98 SE on and old Packard Bell PC last week. The program and the PC were both turds needing to be flushed!
                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Everyone has there own opinion of which version of 9X is the "worst". All of them are light-years better then OS9 and below. It's not the same as comparing XP/Vista/7 vs OSX. In that case there is some debate as at least OSX is a decent and proper OS. Win 9X vs OS9 is no comparison, no debate. OS9 and below are shit, pure and simple. The only thing worse was OSX before 10.3.

The thing is, no one uses Win 9X now because they want to. Sure some people have legacy apps. Some others might not be able to afford a new comp. Some might simply not know any better. But no one goes out and says "I want to run Windows ME because I like it".

However, Mac fanboys DO go out of their way to run OS9. It's not a money or a legacy app issue. They are so brainwashed by the Apple cult that they run OS9 on purpose. They purposefully get hardware that can run it. Even hardware that can run 10.3 or higher just fine. It's drinking the Kool-aid straight up.

Thing is, at least Win 9X is marginally useful in today's world. You can run a modern browser on 9X. The web browsers on OS9 are so out of date as to be practically useless. Doesn't stop the faithful.

Comment

However, Mac fanboys DO go out of their way to run OS9. It's not a money or a legacy app issue. They are so brainwashed by the Apple cult that they run OS9 on purpose. They purposefully get hardware that can run it. Even hardware that can run 10.3 or higher just fine
                    My friend collects old consoles (and 68k macs), some people collect old computers. There are legacy OS9 games out there. I hope they are just using it for that and not as their primary os.

Thing is, at least Win 9X is marginally useful in today's world. You can run a modern browser on 9X. The web browsers on OS9 are so out of date as to be practically useless. Doesn't stop the faithful.
                    I tried to find one for my iMac, no dice. If I put 10.anything on there it will crawl. It went in the basement

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                      My friend collects old consoles (and 68k macs), some people collect old computers. There are legacy OS9 games out there. I hope they are just using it for that and not as their primary os.
                      I have a few old Macs as "collection" pieces to. Doesn't mean I'm trying to run OS9 on purpose.

As I said, it's not for legacy apps like games. There are those out there who really do use OS9 as their primary OS deliberately. It's pure insanity by the faithful to use a practically useless and dead OS as their primary.

I'm not saying all Mac users are like this. Kari certainly isn't. It simply to demonstrate that some of the faithful really are that insane. They will use anything made by Apple no matter how crappy.

I tried to find one for my iMac, no dice. If I put 10.anything on there it will crawl. It went in the basement
                      The sad thing is that if an iMac was x86 it would make a decent Win2k box and still be useful to this day. Since it's an old PPC Mac it's basically a paperweight with any Apple OS. OS9 is garbage and OSX is far to slow to be useful. Linux isn't too bad on it, but it's harder to get going then a generic x86 box.

Comment

nxb, they still make xubuntu for ppc. that would run well on an imac. then you can install chrome beta or opera (or wine and ies4linux, bet ie sucks). or use default ff.

xubuntu for ppc

fedora also comes in a ppc flavor.

i bet it would run so much faster than os9. and its modern, too.

i wish i had an imac. just to play with xubuntu and they both look cool and take less space.
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 10-02-2009, 10:16 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

OS9 flies for some reason. I was impressed with how fast it ran considering its 233mhz. I wonder how PPC ubuntu/xubuntu or some other linux distro would do on it. I've only run that on G4s and above. The problem is that it only has 128mb of ram and that I have better computers sitting around. I'd rather set up a 1.0 P3 and use that vs struggling on an old machine just because it has a built in monitor.

I bet you could find an imac on craigslist easily. The one thing apple has is resale value.

Comment

On a lighter note:

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...uQOV3aqMA.cspx

I wouldn't have called the cops but he is really misusing his CCW. Revoking it would punish him more than any jail time if he was into guns.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                              OS9 flies for some reason. I was impressed with how fast it ran considering its 233mhz.
                              OS9 is barely a step above DOS on a technical level, of course it flies. Windows 3.1 would fly on 233 MHz and it's far closer to a real OS then OS9.

I wonder how PPC ubuntu/xubuntu or some other linux distro would do on it. I've only run that on G4s and above. The problem is that it only has 128mb of ram and that I have better computers sitting around. I'd rather set up a 1.0 P3 and use that vs struggling on an old machine just because it has a built in monitor.
                              Ubuntu is a no go with so little RAM. Xubuntu would work, but it wouldn't be pleasant. PPC needs more RAM for the same software as it doesn't have the code density of x86. You can get distros that will work better with so little RAM but they will be way harder to setup. RAM or not, it will run more or less like a P1. Despite Apple's lies, the G3 is slower than a P2, so you are looking at P1 speeds.

I bet you could find an imac on craigslist easily. The one thing apple has is resale value.
                              The only reason it has any value at all is because the crazy OS9 users want them. In any sane world in 2009 a 233 MHz machine is free at best. Imacs are getting a bit rarer as the monitor boards go in them due to overheating.

Comment

Thank god for stupid people.

Comment

there is a shop in town with the white monitor models filling the front window. i wonder how much one would be?

what kind of cpu would one have? adequate memory for xubuntu? its the crt all-in one kind, fyi.
                                  sigpic

Comment

I rather like Vista.....
                                    I've gone from W98 then 98SE, on a 486 box.
                                    I could shut down at night, and switch on in the morning and it had gone tits up overnight....
                                    Then I got a much better PC and got XP Pro.
                                    That I liked as it was much harder to break.........I am good a screwing up the OS.
                                    From there I built a much faster machine......I got the 'building my own bug' and as I had the money I bought Vista32 and 64 versions.
                                    Much more stable and ran 32 bit for a while.....still have it loaded on one of my drives, but now use the 64 bit version, as it makes use of my 6GB of memory.
                                    Yes the UAC is a bit of a niggle, and I can turn it off if I want, but I have got used to it now.
                                    Thing is, it is harder for me to break it, I turn it on, it works.........I can surf, email, and play my games ( I built it to play games) and the only time it has crashed, is if I have got a little bit enthusiastic in overclocking it.............my fault, not Vistas.
                                    So I support Vista, it works for me, and will install W7 Home when it arrives in the post later this month, and put it on another drive.
                                    I did try a Ubuntu version a while back, but as it was rather different, I couldn't be bothered to try and get used to it............so I remain a Windows user....

However, I have enjoyed the very informative discussion going on here, and I particularly like the fact that no flaming has taken place.....everyone stating facts and putting forward their opinions without malice..........
                                    Tt Armor+ black case--Corsair HX1050--Intel i7 920 (default)+Noctua U12-Gigabyte GA-58EX-Extreme--6GB tri-ch. Corsair Dominator+ Corsair Dominator memory cooler--2 X Gigabyte 6870OC CF -2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors--1 X 500GB WD Green--1 x WD 250GB--1 X 1TB Samsung F3--8 case fans--Samsung T220 22" + Dell WFP2408 24"--Logitech G15 keyboard-Logitech G500 mouse--Onboard sound--plus other bits.
                                    OS-Vista-64bit+Win7-64bit+Win 8 64bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                      there is a shop in town with the white monitor models filling the front window. i wonder how much one would be?

what kind of cpu would one have? adequate memory for xubuntu? its the crt all-in one kind, fyi.
                                      Depends, its it a "snow" iMac G3 or an eMac?. The iMac is 15", the eMac 17" and has a flatter front.

An iMac would be a G3 and therefore pretty slow. A "snow" model is one of the mid to high speed ones, could be anywhere from 350 to 700 MHz. Will run like really overclocked P1. Wouldn't pay much more than free for one.

An eMac would be a G4 and a fair bit faster. A G4 runs about the same speed as an original Athlon. They came in 700 MHz to 1.42 GHz. The 1.25 GHz and up ones are the best as they have USB 2 and DDR ram instead of USB1 and SDRAM. The 1.42 also has a real VGA port for dual monitor instead of a Apple's crappy mini port. I wouldn't consider them worth more than a good Athlon system with monitor, but the OS9 idiots love these so usually the prices are insane.

Comment

its an emac. i thought an all in one would be fun to play with, thats all.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                          its an emac. i thought an all in one would be fun to play with, thats all.
                                          An eMac would make a fine xubuntu machine if you want an all in one. Even full Ubuntu would be ok if it's good enough. If you can find one for a price you are willing to pay then go for it.

eMacs do have cap problems, so if you can find a dead one cheap/free you could fix it up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X