Multi-processor alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-processor alternatives

Ok....it all started with the VP6....of which I still run 2.

Now I have dual core P4 and Athlon boxes.

So....the VP6 with two single core processors, a single dual core CPU, or a couple single core single processor mobos......

I'm looking to the future and I have 5 boxes sitting here. 2 VP6s, AMD Athlon x2, a single core P4, and the dual core P4. Each box serves a purpose...kinda sorta.

So...to my question...Is there a way to just have one box with, say, a dozen CPU cores??? Will it consume less power???

Just wondering....
    "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
    AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Re: Multi-processor alternatives

maybe...but you may need liquid nitrogen or such to cool it.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069
      ...Is there a way to just have one box with, say, a dozen CPU cores??? Will it consume less power???
      You can easily, yes... there are motherboards by Tyan and Supermicro which support 16 cores...

The problem is, that when you go above a 2 processor MB, the price rises tremendously. I guess they might use a little less power (compared to, say 4 4-core boxes) in that you don't have to power 4 EATX motherboards, but one larger one with an expansion card.

Still, any "savings" in power by this method would be minimal, and totally minuscule compared to the vastly increased initial cost of building such a state-of-the-art system.

Comment

Thats what I was worried about.

damn.....I guess I'll just have to stick with a bunch of dual core mobos.

I'll have to look at the power requirements of dual P3 vs dual core P4......

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069
          I'll have to look at the power requirements of dual P3 vs dual core P4......
          If you're looking for a very efficient, low-power dual intel system, take a look at the more recent Xeon LV offerings. Each CPU is as powerful as a dual-core 2GHz pentium M, and they have a rated TDP of only 31W.

Comment

what purposes do all your machines do
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

1 - Abit IC7-G MAXII w/3.0GHz P4....for general internet surfing and light games. my current video editing machine.
              2 - Abit AT8 32X w/AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor.....well....my first AMD....just sorta playing with it right now. Have a couple games installed. either this one or the dual core P4 will be the new video editing machines
              3 - Abit AW8-MAX w/Pentium D 930 Dual Core Processor....to see how it compares to the AMD....also with the replacement of the VP6s in mind
              4 – Abit VP6 w/dual P3(FC-PGA) 1GHz.....hey.....my first multi-processor board. been through hell with this one. it was my original video editing machine. it now sits as a file and print server of sorts.
              5 – Abit VP6 w/dual P3(FC-PGA2) 1GHz...was a spare for the other VP6, but decided to get it running for RC5

all of which are folding

Comment

I know of several silicon grapahics systems that can easily handle over 20 cpu's. I doubt however you will ever need more than two. What would you need that would require the power of 12 cpu's?
                Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                  I know of several silicon grapahics systems that can easily handle over 20 cpu's. I doubt however you will ever need more than two. What would you need that would require the power of 12 cpu's?

greed

Comment

Working...
                  X