No announcement yet.

Dell used to be really good quality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell used to be really good quality....

The 0.47 is out of stock on mouser so I'm going to use this as a replacement: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2bMQv4vywJM%3d

Any reason on using KME vs another cap. Since its LC...maybe there is a better more modern alternative? I'm probably sounding ignorant and dumb. Just tell me if so....How about a Panny FC or a Nichicon RZ or something? Just tell me if I'm sounding stupid.
    Last edited by TheLaw; 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

FC are better than KME and just fine to use.
      You can basically use FC, PW, LXZ, or even KY or HE in place of anything in that list except for the first 3.
      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 03-26-2011, 05:11 AM.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Impedance wise, that's okay? To use pretty low ESR caps in place of even the General Purpose?

Comment

I'll take that as a yes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
            Impedance wise, that's okay? To use pretty low ESR caps in place of even the General Purpose?
            Yes
            Caps like FC, PW, LXZ are 'entry level' low ESR caps.
            They ARE low ESR but not drastically low ESR.
            The benefit to using them in place of GP is they are usually higher quality caps.
            -
            Also, since you aren't buying GP + [like "FC grade"] caps you can take advantage of the qty discounts. [Buying one kind for both applications.]
            -
            An example is 220uF 16v. They are used like EVERYWHERE and it's a mix of GP and 'entry level' low ESR.
            Rather than stocking two kinds of 220uF 16v caps I buy 'entry level' low ESR 100pc [or more] at a time which cuts the cost per-each significantly.
            -

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
              reminds me of my P4C800-E Deluxe.
              new caps, new BIOS, checked for shorted or open mosfets (every single one)... nothing.. dead as a rock..
              POST code card always shows FFFF.. ie dead..

edit: talking about FFFF...
              Strangely enough I have the exact same motherboard here. Other than that a nice computer. It posts and then gives a GPF when trying to install any windows. Sometimes no post but a message about a Bios failed checksum.

I'd love to fix it but i don't see anything looking bad.
              Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                Yes
                Caps like FC, PW, LXZ are 'entry level' low ESR caps.
                They ARE low ESR but not drastically low ESR.
                The benefit to using them in place of GP is they are usually higher quality caps.
                -
                Also, since you aren't buying GP + [like "FC grade"] caps you can take advantage of the qty discounts. [Buying one kind for both applications.]
                -
                An example is 220uF 16v. They are used like EVERYWHERE and it's a mix of GP and 'entry level' low ESR.
                Rather than stocking two kinds of 220uF 16v caps I buy 'entry level' low ESR 100pc [or more] at a time which cuts the cost per-each significantly.
                -
                Oh alright. I mean the price differential between GP and low(ish) ESR caps is pretty negligible. So if I do FCs in place of GP, that would be good? Theoretically, would FMs work for the low-esr caps, or is there something more power supply oriented. Mockingbird never got back to me on that. >.<

I've been looking around...and is it just me, or do FMs absolutely destroy other caps spec-wise? I'm looking at Nichicon PMs/ UCC KY among others. Seriously FM is like off the charts. Comparing exact case size and values. ESR is almost half as low, and ripple current is doubled in some cases. The only competitor I see is UCC KZE which looks pretty darn decent as well.
                Last edited by TheLaw; 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

UG!
                  I really need to put up a web page on this so I can link to it instead of writing it out every time..

The tiers go:

[xxx][xxx] = ESR(or ESR range) at [8x20mm][10x20mm]

HZ, GA -- [.009][.007]
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  KZJ, GC, HN, MCZ -- [.012][.010-.011]
                  FJ, FL, WGL2, NRSJ -- [.016][.013]
                  MBZ, HM, WG, GD, KZG, NRSK -- [.018-.019][.013]
                  KZG, ZLG -- [.020-.021][.013-.014]
                  GE -- [.025][.016]
                  FM, FR -- [.030][.018-.019]
                  HV, ZLH, KZM, KZH, NRSH -- [.029-.033][.019-.020]
                  ZL, KZE, WX, HD, GK, NRSG -- [.041][.023]
                  ZT (125C - Low ESR & High Temp) -- [.054][.030]
                  PA, FK -- [.044][.035]
                  HE, KY, YXG, YXH -- [.069][.046]
                  JXA, FC, PW, NRSX, NRSZ, and others --[.065-.080][.044-.054]
                  LXZ, PM, and many others... - [.080-up]-and-[.050-up]
                  There are a few not included because they are newer than when I made this or I simply had a brain fart.
                  ---
                  The ones that are in bold are simply the ones seen most often and/or that usually come up in conversations.
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 03-29-2011, 12:11 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Very nice! Bookmarked.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      UG!
                      I really need to put up a web page on this so I can link to it instead of writing it out every time..
                      the number on the post counter (at the right.. where it says #87, #88, #89, ...) is actually a link to view a single post.
                      like so
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=88

Comment

Great list, but which are suitable for power supply use?

Comment

FM, FR -- [.030][.018-.019] and below...

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

What goodpsusearch said is usually the case but it's best just to look up the specs on the old ones because PSU's do have ringers now and then just like mobos.
                              [ringer = non-typical & unexpected value]
                              Also mfr#1 might use one great spec cap where mfr#2 uses a pair of lesser caps in parallel to achieve the same thing.

It's just better to look them up.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                the number on the post counter (at the right.. where it says #87, #88, #89, ...) is actually a link to view a single post.
                                like so
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=88
                                I know that but bookmarks are only useful when you are on the same PC every time.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post

But it's a pleasant surprise when you open one of these up and get some really lovely stuff. HP on the other hand....We won't get into that.
                                  Just wanted to bump on this. I've picked up a semi-dead HP Vectra from 1999 at the dump (I find amazing stuff there), the computer did start but the graphics card did not work. I took it apart and I was pleasantly surprised to see Sanyo 6.3V 1200uF and Nichicon 10V 1000uF capacitors on the motherboard. Needless to say I desoldered them all for further use.

Same for Acer, which doesn't have a great reputation in terms of durability of their hardware. I've found the remains of an Acer eMachines from 2008, and to my surprise, the processor (IIRC) capacitors on the motherboard are all Sanyo ! I did the same and removed the caps

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
                                    I took it apart and I was pleasantly surprised to see Sanyo 6.3V 1200uF and Nichicon 10V 1000uF capacitors on the motherboard. Needless to say I desoldered them all for further use.
                                    Make sure you search the forums for some of the pitfalls of reusing used capacitors. It's not always a good idea as capacitors reform to the voltage of the circuit they are on. For 12 year old used capacitors, I wouldn't even consider it...Even reliable caps have a finite life.

Comment

Good to know, thanks ! I have repaired stuff with used capacitors with no problem though. I'll make a search.

Comment

Using used caps is a risk I take.

Comment

Say I used HNs for the caps that need to be low-ESR, would that work? They also have good specs. High ripple current/low ESR.

Comment

Working...
                                          X