No announcement yet.

Dell used to be really good quality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell used to be really good quality....

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
    The PWs would go in places deemed as "general purpose" by Mockingbird, but it would also be used for 16V 2200uF low-ESR cap.
    As is shown in the earlier post
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=88
    [and previously discussed] PW -IS- a low ESR cap comparable to FC, both of which are on the low end of low ESR but they are still low ESR caps. In fact both of those are highly regarded series' of caps.

And, as was already said several times by several people..
    You can use entry level low ESR caps in place GP caps just fine.
    Amazingly...
    Good brand entry level low ESR caps are good to replace bad brand entry level low ESR caps too.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
      Well perhaps I am not as competent in this subject as all of you seem to be. I'm sorry for seeming ignorant. I read spec sheets. I make a judgement. I ask you guys for confirmation, but I guess I don't know exactly how to "ask" correctly.

And it's not completely out of the blue...

Thanks for the info.
      You aren't expected to know what you are doing yet.
      -
      You do need to be more clear as to specifically what you are asking about.
      WHAT "the 16v" - you've asked about more than one cap.
      [Starting a thread for each project would help with that.]
      -- If you want 'specific' answers you need to ask 'specific' questions.
      -- Otherwise you get a general answer.
      -
      And, you keep asking the same questions over and over which gets annoying. For example you've asked what to use for this same G-Luxon 2200uF 16v HM several times spread over more than a week. It's getting old..

Lacking tone of voice:
      - This is intended as -constructive criticism-.
      - If I can get you to ask better questions then it's easier for us to help and you won't be chasing your tail so much because the answers from different people will be more consistent.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        As is shown in the earlier post
        [and previously discussed] PW -IS- a low ESR cap comparable to FC, both of which are on the low end of low ESR but they are still low ESR caps. In fact both of those are highly regarded series' of caps.

And, as was already said several times by several people..
        You can use entry level low ESR caps in place GP caps just fine.
        Amazingly...
        Good brand entry level low ESR caps are good to replace bad brand entry level low ESR caps too.
        Well thanks PCBONEZ (and everyone else). I'm sorry if if bugged you out...for over a week. I'll order em and recap, make a new thread, and put some pictures up for reference (assuming it works).

Comment

You aren't expected to know what you are doing yet.
          -
          You do need to be more clear as to specifically what you are asking about.
          WHAT "the 16v" - you've asked about more than one cap.
          [Starting a thread for each project would help with that.]
          -- If you want 'specific' answers you need to ask 'specific' questions.
          -- Otherwise you get a general answer.
          -
          And, you keep asking the same questions over and over which gets annoying. For example you've asked what to use for this same G-Luxon 2200uF 16v HM several times spread over more than a week. It's getting old..

Lacking tone of voice:
          - This is intended as -constructive criticism-.
          - If I can get you to ask better questions then it's easier for us to help and you won't be chasing your tail so much because the answers from different people will be more consistent.
          I've never fixed a power supply before and there is an element of uncertainty to a first time you do something. The reason I asked about the 2200uF 16V so much is because a.) I originally was going to use a 10mm form factor, b.) then I decided 12.5mm was going to fit. c.) there was no ESR listing in the G-Lux datasheet, so how am I supposed to know which to use? d.) I was confused as to how low you could go in ESR, or if you should stray.

There were reasons why I asked so much, but I'll forget about it now. It's over. Thanks to all who had to "deal with me". I'm sorry it was that painful for you.

Comment

That was explained too.

When you have a GP cap go by just the ripple.
            Using a GP cap with at least that much ripple is fine.
            Using an entry level low ESR cap [with at least that much ripple] is fine and usually better because low ESR caps are usually better quality than GP.

-THAT- GP cap though should not have been a GP cap to start with.
            Someone was 'costing down' a bit too much that time.
            [PSU probably had lots of noise in the output.]
            I suppose it's possible it was recapped sometime in the past using crappy caps.
            But:
            If it at least ran with a GP cap there then any entry level Low ESR cap would be an improvement.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

It all comes down to bean counters.

I'll try to take everything you've told me into consideration. I'm seriously trying. Thanks.

Comment

PCBONEZ, keep in mind his computer is an old socket370 coppermine...
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Should still have low ESR in the PSU. - Especially the OP filters.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

I bought FCs for the low-ESR, some FCs for the "GP" as well as some PWs and one PJ.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

We'll see how it goes.

Comment

got a vostro 200 desktop tonigh (windows fix)

dell got it right, use rubycons! but wait, every cap is a rubycon...except vrm...all kgz, and vrm for ram too

but all the smaller-medium caps are ALL rubycon

fail
                          Last edited by Uranium-235; 04-05-2011, 01:21 AM.
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Kind of like my Optiplex. OSCONs and Chemi-Cons on the board and the power supply is G-Luxon.

Comment

Dell doesn't build their own stuff, they OEM.

Their mobos are from Intel [who sometimes outsources to Foxconn].

Their PSUs can be from a number of different companies - even in the same Dell model.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

I think Intel is exclusively Foxconn these days. I haven't see an Intel board made by any other OEM in a while.

Comment

Dell doesn't build their own stuff, they OEM.

Their mobos are from Intel [who sometimes outsources to Foxconn].

Their PSUs can be from a number of different companies - even in the same Dell model.

I think they have a little bit control over the general quality of the machine. Like whether they want OSTs or Rubycons. Could be making things up again.

Comment

They [Dell] seems to on mobos but they seem to ignore it in PSUs.

Dell GX270 boards were labeled Intel up until the bad HM/HN fiasco where GX270 were blowing caps right and left,,, then suddenly those boards said Foxconn,,, they were the same boards otherwise.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Got home today expecting to see a Mouser box in my door. Checked the tracking. Departed from Fortworth Texas 4/6/11 (today) @ 4:48PM...wtf. Ordered on Monday. =P

Comment

You know, the Dell Dim4600 uses DDR RAM not PC4200

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post

The Vostro 200 series are all cheap and nasty
                                          They seem fine to me. One that was given to me works good. Looks typical to me.
                                          I cannot say that they're flat out cheap-and-nasty.

And the Inspiron 530S is related, looks like it's just a year-newer version of the Vostro 200.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X