No announcement yet.

Dell used to be really good quality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell used to be really good quality....

Because there just there to link two circuits together. It could be a jumper wire instead.

Some of the caps will be Low ESR, some will be general purpose. The best thing is to traw a diagram of all the wiring, then desolder the wiring to get the PCB free, and then mark, measure, and identify all the caps.

List them here along with the series and I will tell you what to get.

As for my preferences, I like UCC the best.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
      ASUS has been doing full board polys for the majority of their boards for about 2 years...just saying.
      And screwing it up.... just saying.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I think I can get the right replacements. But Low-ESR, High Ripple Current? Any series you like in particular? Almost anything has to be better than this crap.

I think I'm going to do a full recap...

Are coupling capacitors electrolytic? And what is the reason behind not replacing them?

Thanks for all of the help.
        Coupling caps don't work very hard.
        All they do is pass a signal through them while blocking the DC.
        Signal current is tiny compared to Ripple current.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

On the 'beer can' cap that looks to have a bloated top.
          The top has a plastic disc on it that is held in place by the sleeve.
          - It's there as electrical insulation.
          Sometimes the discs will bow up even though the cap under it has not bloated.
          Push down on it with your finger to see if the cap under it is actually bloated or not.
          [With the thing de-energized of course!]

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
            Coupling caps don't work very hard.
            All they do is pass a signal through them while blocking the DC.
            Signal current is tiny compared to Ripple current.
            So replacing the coupling caps would be bad? I mean...if I replace value for value, how could it go wrong? Or is it ESR specific or something...

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              Because there just there to link two circuits together. It could be a jumper wire instead.

Some of the caps will be Low ESR, some will be general purpose. The best thing is to traw a diagram of all the wiring, then desolder the wiring to get the PCB free, and then mark, measure, and identify all the caps.

List them here along with the series and I will tell you what to get.

As for my preferences, I like UCC the best.
              What do you mean of the "wiring"? When I recap, I draw a quick diagram of the PSU and mark the value of each cap. Then I desolder them all and replace them.

I'm not home right now, but I'll do so tonight.

Is there any reason why I can't use Low ESR for all of them?

Comment

When you try and take out the PCB (Because you have to get at the underside to desolder the caps), you'll notice the wires connected to the power socket and possibly voltage selector switch are a hinderance. You should desolder those from the PCB so that you can freely move about with only the PCB. It will make the job a lot easier.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

When you try and take out the PCB (Because you have to get at the underside to desolder the caps), you'll notice the wires connected to the power socket and possibly voltage selector switch are a hinderance. You should desolder those from the PCB so that you can freely move about with only the PCB. It will make the job a lot easier.
                  Dell actually made it easy...or rather Hipro did.

The IEC socket's wires go into a socket on the board. So all I had to do was pop the socket.

The voltage selector switch was screwed in, so all I had to do was unscrew it and it easily came out.

So I have PCB out. There are about 18 electrolytics on the board. However, about 9 of those are tiny values, like 1uF-47uF. So are these the coupling capacitors you speak of? It would seem like a pain in the but to replace even these. If it is necessary, I'll do it, but...

Anyway. Here are the values of the big capacitors. Not the smaller ones. I'm assuming they are pretty unimportant.

6x G-Luxon 2200uF @ 10V
                  1x G-Luxon 2200uF @ 16V
                  1x Teapo 220uF @ 35V
                  2x Teapo 330uF @ 200V

Not too many caps really, but then again, I think it's like a 120W PSU or something.

I'm doing a big order of Mouser soon for another project so I'd prefer they were sourced from there. It seems UCC KY are out of stock on Mouser though...

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

So replacing the coupling caps would be bad? I mean...if I replace value for value, how could it go wrong? Or is it ESR specific or something...
                    No, it's not bad to replace them.
                    Just trying to explain what they are.

These are usually going to be 22uF or less and 4mm or 5mm caps. [On Mobos & in PSUs at least]

Regardless of uF, not every 4&5mm cap is a coupling cap.
                    There are some other uses. You can't tell what it's doing there without tracing the circuit and drawing out the schematic. That's a little bit too much work for what it's worth to know exactly what the cap does. Most of the time they ARE coupling caps, but not always.
                    - In discussion "Coupling Caps" has come to mean small uF 4&5mm caps - even if they aren't actually coupling caps.

If they are 85C caps it's a reasonable preventative measure to change them to 105C caps in anything that gets hot.

[With what is coming, bear in mind that it's -unusual- for coupling caps to go bad and most people don't even look at them, let alone change them.]

They cause occasional problems on Intel made boards all the way back to socket 370. Some of those have small 4&5mm 85C caps that go bad [and may or may not bloat] sometime after about 5 years old. Time to failure depends on actual operating hours of the PC and how hot it is inside the case.

Also these are the ones that cause problems in Dell 620 mini-cases. [Long thread on that somewhere.] The case configuration puts them right next to a hot HDD and they fry after a while even if rated for 105C.

Someone [you will need the Way-Back machine to find this thread] found some bad ??22uF OST's in the chipset area and it was 'killing' the Vtt voltage entirely. As I recall it was an Asus board but I can't remember who posted the thread. [I suspect many of the Asus 'mystery failures' are due to cheap 4&5mm caps. Few people check those caps even when the board won't work so the problem never gets found.]

So: YES, they do go bad now and then..

In PSUs I replace them just because opening up PSUs far enough to change caps is a PITA and I don't want to do it twice.

--
                    They often aren't low ESR [and usually don't need to be] but it doesn't hurt to use 'entry level' low ESR caps.
                    I'll usually use something like LXZ, FC, KG or PW for those.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

According to what PCBONEZ is saying, I would recommend replacing ALL the caps. why not, you already have the thing opened.

Can you list also series and diameter of the caps (Height is less imoprtant than width) in mm? This would help me nail an exact replacement from Mouser.

If you're going with Mouser, forget about using UCC exclusively. We'll probably need to go with a mix of Nichicon/Panasonic/UCC. They even have a limited stock of Rubycon if you're prepared to pay a little extra.

Comment

Alright. I have to be out so I'll make this quick. I've tried to get my measurements as close as possible. There's usually around 1-2mm leeway on every capacitor anyway, so don't fret too much.

6x 2200uF @ 10V-10mm
                        1x 2200uF @ 16V- 10mm
                        2x 330uF @ 200V- 22mm
                        1x 220uF @ 35V- 7mm
                        1x 22uF @ 16V- 5mm
                        2x 47uF @ 16V- 5mm
                        1x 2.2uF @ 50V- 5mm
                        1x 1uF @ 50V- 4mm
                        1x 0.47uF @ 50V- 4mm
                        1x 10uF @ 16V- 5mm
                        1x 4.7uF @ 50V- 5mm
                        1x 6.8uF @ 50V- 5mm
                        1x 47uF @ 50V- 6mm

I'll pay for whatever is good, but honestly, I doubt I'd see a difference between Nichicons/Pannys and Rubycons because this computer is already ancient and it probably won't get much use anyway. But whateverrr....

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Wait, Mouser doesn't stock Rubycon, do they?

The reason I am hesitant to do the small ones is because I've had some bad experiences desoldering super small components off mediocre quality boards. I've gotten better, but there's always that chance that I lift a pad, and I'm doomed. I mean...I could run a jumper wire, but that's ugly.
                          Last edited by TheLaw; 03-24-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Power supplies are easier because they're ususally only one layer. Listen, you did a good job listing the caps, but we really need the series to differentiate the GP caps from the low ESR caps.

Oops I meant NEwark. Newark has some stock of Rubycon, not much, but some.

Comment

Power supplies are easier because they're ususally only one layer. Listen, you did a good job listing the caps, but we really need the series to differentiate the GP caps from the low ESR caps.

Oops I meant NEwark. Newark has some stock of Rubycon, not much, but some.
                              Oh sorry. I forgot about series. It's going to be rough. The G-Luxon labels are pretty crappy. I'll do my best. Especially on the tiny ones.

Comment

Phew!

6x 2200uF @ 10V-10mm....G-Luxon "HM" @ 105C
                                1x 2200uF @ 16V- 10mm....G-Luxon "HM" @ 105C
                                2x 330uF @ 200V- 22mm....Teapo "LXK" @ 85C
                                1x 220uF @ 35V- 7mm....Teapo "SEK" @ 105C***
                                1x 22uF @ 16V- 5mm....G-Luxon "SM" @ 105C
                                2x 47uF @ 16V- 5mm....G-Luxon "SM" @ 105C
                                1x 2.2uF @ 50V- 5mm....Teapo "SS" @ 105C
                                1x 1uF @ 50V- 4mm....Teapo "SS" @ 105C
                                1x 0.47uF @ 50V- 4mm....G-Luxon "SX" @ 105C
                                1x 10uF @ 16V- 5mm....G-Luxon "SX" @ 105C
                                1x 4.7uF @ 50V- 5mm....G-Luxon "SX" @ 105C
                                1x 6.8uF @ 50V- 5mm....G-Luxon "SX" @ 105C
                                1x 47uF @ 50V- 6mm....G-Luxon "SM" @ 105C

***This one is hidden behind two ICs. It's really hard to see. On first glance I saw "GEK" but after googling, I can only find "SEK". It looks a hella lot GEK, but I'm thinking it's SEK.

Just a note.

I'm going to come up with my own list as well and see if I'm on the right track.
                                Last edited by TheLaw; 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

hey guis i hab had dell for 14 years no problems and i justbought a car that my friend put a dell computer in its great

Comment

Originally posted by 02502536 View Post
                                    hey guis i hab had dell for 14 years no problems and i justbought a car that my friend put a dell computer in its great
                                    Troll?

Comment

1) 10v 2200uF Samxon "GT" 10x20mm (Big Joe)
                                      2) 16v 2200uF Samxon "GT" 10x25mm (Big Joe)
                                      3) 200V 330uF UCC "KMH" 22mmx30mm (Mouser)
                                      4) 35V 220uF UCC "KMG" 8x11.5mm (Mouser)
                                      5) 16V 22uF UCC "KMG" 5x11mm (Mouser)
                                      6) 16V 47uF Nichicon "KT" 5x11mm (Mouser)
                                      7) 50V 2.2uF Nichicon "ST" 4x7mm (Mouser)
                                      8) 50V 1uF Nichicon "SV" 4x7mm (Mouser)
                                      9) 50V 0.47uF Nichicon "SV" 4.7mm (Mouser)
                                      10) 16V 10uF UCC "KMG" 5x11mm (Mouser)
                                      11) 50V 4.7uF UCC "KME" 5x11mm (Mouser)
                                      12) 50V 6.8uF Nichicon "VR" (Mouser)
                                      13) 50V 47uF UCC "KMG" 6.3x11mm (Mouser)

Regarding the SEK... Yes, farily common Teapo general purpose series. The spec sheet even says that it can be used for "coupling, decoupling". I will simply match the ripple.

Note for the first two caps I point you two Big Joe. These caps are very difficult to source at 10mm. True the owner of this site (TopCat) stocks Samxon GC and GD for this rating but GD and GC have too low an ESR. GT is perfect however. Newark *may* have a Panasonic FK part that would suit you here. (If you can fit a 12.5mm cap in place, let me know so you can place the whole order at Mouser).

Are you sure 12 is 6.8uF and not 0.68uF?

Comment

Big Joe? Big Pope? ...?

Comment

It is 6.8uF.

I did some measurements. I think 12.5mm would be fine. It would be very tight, but I can do some manipulating and it should work fine.

Thanks for the indepth list!

Comment

Working...
                                          X