No announcement yet.

Dell used to be really good quality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell used to be really good quality....

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
    I missed something you said.
    The 16v PSU caps are usually on +12v.
    You can't use a 10v cap.
    Yeah I know that. All of the 10V parts, I will use 10mm, but for the one 16V part, I'll use 12.5mm. It should fit fine. What won't work is if they are all 12.5mm.

Are HMs good? I think I'm going to make an order soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
      Are HMs good? I think I'm going to make an order soon.
      Nichicon HMs are reliable (provided they're newer than 2005). However, you don't normally see such a low ESR capacitor in a power supply. They're also rated way better than the original G-Luxon HM. Since PCBONEZ provided the data sheet and we now know what the specs are, I'd stick with something closer to the original specs. Panasonic FC or UCC LXZ perhaps. Even those are rated better than the originals. While a slight upgrade in ESR/ripple is okay, you don't want a huge difference in specs. G-luxon HM to Nichicon HM is a huge difference in specs. It will probably work fine, but something closer has a better chance of working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
        Nichicon HMs are reliable (provided they're newer than 2005). However, you don't normally see such a low ESR capacitor in a power supply. They're also rated way better than the original G-Luxon HM. Since PCBONEZ provided the data sheet and we now know what the specs are, I'd stick with something closer to the original specs. Panasonic FC or UCC LXZ perhaps. Even those are rated better than the originals. While a slight upgrade in ESR/ripple is okay, you don't want a huge difference in specs. G-luxon HM to Nichicon HM is a huge difference in specs. It will probably work fine, but something closer has a better chance of working fine.
        That's what I was partially afraid of. I'm thinking either Panasonic FC or UCC KY for the 10V. For the one 16V cap, LXY or FC.

Comment

Wow Digikey has to worse cataloging system ever...O.o

Anyway, I've decided to make the order off Digikey now, seeing that Mouser is failing to stock half of the things that I want, (and stuff for another project).

KYs seem to fit the bill. I know they are pretty old now, but I think they are pretty tough caps. The ESR isn't insanely low, but it's not too high either.

Any ideas? I'll go for 10mm on the 10V, and 12.5mm on the 16V. Should fit.

Sorry to be dragging this thread out into 100+ posts....Power supplies seem to be a little trickier than I thought.

Thanks.

Comment

KYs seem to fit the bill.
            what are you buying caps or sex lube? giggity giggity
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

!!!

Comment

KY do fine in PSUs when their specs are adequate.
                For the G-Luxon HM they are a 2 or 3 'step' upgrade however the G-Luxon HM have unusually crappy specs for that application in the first place.
                KY sound like a good choice.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

KY do fine in PSUs when their specs are adequate.
                  For the G-Luxon HM they are a 2 or 3 'step' upgrade however the G-Luxon HM have unusually crappy specs for that application in the first place.
                  KY sound like a good choice.
                  Alrighty then, KY it is. If it doesn't work, it's not the end of the world. But that shouldn't happen.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    what are you buying caps or sex lube? giggity giggity
                    clever

Comment

So I've got Chemi-Con KY for the low-ESR 2200uFs (10V + 16V), Chemi-con KMG, and Nichicon PW for the more general purpose types. And then Chemi-con KMH for the PFC filter caps.

I've kept a lot of what Mockingbird recommended but I decided to replace some of them with PWs. A lot were already KMG so I kept those the same. KMH was kept the same, and KY seems good to go.

Let's get ready to rumble!

Comment

So I've got Chemi-Con KY for the low-ESR 2200uFs (10V + 16V), Chemi-con KMG, and Nichicon PW for the more general purpose types. And then Chemi-con KMH for the PFC filter caps.

I've kept a lot of what Mockingbird recommended but I decided to replace some of them with PWs. A lot were already KMG so I kept those the same. KMH was kept the same, and KY seems good to go.

Let's get ready to rumble!
                        Scratch that. I'll be using a Nichicon PW for the 2200uF 16V.

Comment

Okay, I think I've got everything down. Is a PW alright for the 16V? And PW is a few other general purpose areas?

Thanks. Final question I'll have and I'll be sure to post plenty of pics.

Thanks.

Comment

As before.
                            Depends on what you are replacing with it.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

As before.
                              Depends on what you are replacing with it.
                              The PWs would go in places deemed as "general purpose" by Mockingbird, but it would also be used for 16V 2200uF low-ESR cap.
                              Last edited by TheLaw; 04-02-2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

You are still talking about the 2200uF 16v G-Luxon HM from a bit over a week ago?
                                I posted the G-Luxon HM data sheet here.
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=111

And as before.
                                You want the same or more Ripple.
                                You want the same or less ESR.
                                [Unless the original are GP in which case you just look at Ripple.]

Both Mouser and Digikey link to the PW data sheet.
                                It's not that hard....

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Uggh...YES I am!

There have been a lot of conflicting ideas. Some people said don't go to far from the specs, while others say it doesn't matter.

Power supplies can be kind of picky apparently, and i don't want to get it wrong.

Please don't hate me for it.

Comment

PW should be fine in place of general purpose caps, as has been stated earlier in the thread.

PW should also be fine in place of the 16V 2200uF G-luxon HM...but make sure that it fits. The PW is physically larger at 12.5x25 mm size.

Comment

Problem is your style of asking what to use is too 'open' because you don't give enough info each time you ask.
                                      ~ WE CAN'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT...
                                      You have a habit of asking 'what should I replace THIS with' without telling us what it's going into -or- 'what should I use HERE' without telling what was found there -or- 'what is good replacement instead of using THIS replacement' without telling us what it will be used for.

You also seem unwilling to read the specs sheets on you own which would answer maybe 2/3 of your questions.

I haven't seen anyone ~HERE~ at BCN tell you the original specs don't matter.
                                      - The original specs ALWAYS matter as a starting point.
                                      - How far you can get away with deviating from them depends on the specific situation [and you keep leaving that info out of your questions].
                                      - Someone telling you that in some situation using 'x' instead will work does NOT mean the original specs don't matter. They were taken into account when they figured out what 'x' was.
                                      -
                                      The original specs always matter and it's always safe to match them.
                                      - In some specific situations you can't. [Try finding a 4700uF 10v in 10mm]
                                      - In some situations upgrades are well known and well tested and 'usually' okay.

The cap you asked about last is in the final OP filter in a PSU.
                                      It is -bad- to change the ESR any more than you have too.
                                      [ESR value is matched to the uH value of the coil next to it in the circuit to 'tune it' to be best at removing the expected Ripple frequency. Changing ESR too far will result in more noise [ripple] in the output of the PSU.]
                                      It is -bad- to use a cap with less Ripple because it will overheat and dry out the cap.
                                      It is -bad- to use a cap with voltage less than circuit voltage because it may [and probably will] cause the cap to short internally.
                                      uF is fourth on the priority list IN THAT APPLICATION and while it's best to use the original value if you -have- to change something to stay closer to the original ESR then uF is what you change first. [But as little as possible.]
                                      Now, if this same cap was in another application [say a motherboard Vcore] what you could safely change it to would be different and so would be the recommendations.

Now after all of that...
                                      Using a GP cap in the OP Filter of an SMPS is what one expects to see in $15 'Gut-less Wonder" Chinese POS power supplies FROM 10-15 YEARS AGO.
                                      The original cap isn't good enough to even be there.
                                      - When that happens
                                      - You go with values that are typically seen in that application [and keep your fingers crossed because some other design may now bite you.].

I suggest you start your own thread just for this project vice popping in with random questions that [to us] seem 'out of the blue'.
                                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Well perhaps I am not as competent in this subject as all of you seem to be. I'm sorry for seeming ignorant. I read spec sheets. I make a judgement. I ask you guys for confirmation, but I guess I don't know exactly how to "ask" correctly.

And it's not completely out of the blue...

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Too bad FRs are so darn ugly. >.>. Yeah it's not important, but for those macro-shots, its always nice to see a big Matsushita logo smiling back at you.
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14047

I just find it very strange that they have so different appearance than the usual...

Comment

Working...
                                          X