No announcement yet.

Dell used to be really good quality....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell used to be really good quality....

Forget what I said about HNs. They cost too much. How about KYs? They are like $0.50...pretty tempting. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
      Forget what I said about HNs. They cost too much. How about KYs? They are like $0.50...pretty tempting. Thanks.
      Depends on what the old ones are.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=88
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        G-Luxon (HM). I can't find a datasheet for them, but they are utter shit so I doubt they're any good ESR-wise.

Comment

Thelaw,

Whoa! That's *out of context*! Why did you bring up G-luxon? This is nowhere, we were discussing the quality capacityrs that PCBONEZ put up a post the listings of series for one brand, what is it, PCBONEZ?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
            Thelaw,

Whoa! That's *out of context*! Why did you bring up G-luxon? This is nowhere, we were discussing the quality capacityrs that PCBONEZ put up a post the listings of series for one brand, what is it, PCBONEZ?

Cheers, Wizard
            Because PCB asked about what the old ones were. He responded that they were G-Luxon, and crap.
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
              G-Luxon (HM). I can't find a datasheet for them, but they are utter shit so I doubt they're any good ESR-wise.
              Presumably you came to this site for help which is what I'm trying to do.
              If you're going to cop an attitude I'll be more than happy to sit here and watch you screw yourself.
              If you want helped that means you have to answer our questions instead of blowing them off.

- Crap quality does not imply crap specs.
              - Never has, never will.

G-Luxon are crap quality but they have caps with specs at least as high as MBZ.

When you can't find a data sheet look for them in a cross reference or [easier] post some photos so we can see what they are in and where they are in the circuit.

Though only a few are here at any given time, there are probably 20+ people at BCN with enough experience to tell you what grade cap should go there just by looking. [Assuming the circuit makes sense in a photo, they often do.]

A number of them [including myself] horde data sheets which means if you run into a discontinued series or one that is simply hard to find they just might have the data sheet on file.

So, please don't waste any more of my time making me explain -why- I'm asking questions instead of just answering them.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                Presumably you came to this site for help which is what I'm trying to do.
                If you're going to cop an attitude I'll be more than happy to sit here and watch you screw yourself.
                If you want helped that means you have to answer our questions instead of blowing them off.

- Crap quality does not imply crap specs.
                - Never has, never will.

G-Luxon are crap quality but they have caps with specs at least as high as MBZ.

When you can't find a data sheet look for them in a cross reference or [easier] post some photos so we can see what they are in and where they are in the circuit.

Though only a few are here at any given time, there are probably 20+ people at BCN with enough experience to tell you what grade cap should go there just by looking. [Assuming the circuit makes sense in a photo, they often do.]

A number of them [including myself] horde data sheets which means if you run into a discontinued series or one that is simply hard to find they just might have the data sheet on file.

So, please don't waste any more of my time making me explain -why- I'm asking questions instead of just answering them.
                My man,

I'm confused as to what I have done to offend you. I have posted pictures and Mockingbird has provided me with a list that would be good replacements. However, if you read back a few pages, you will see that there was never really closure on which Low-ESR caps to use. It was suggested by Mockinbird that I use Samxon GTs if I had to use 10mm Diameter. I said that 12.5mm would probably fit, though I never got any verification on which caps to use. So I've been trying to find out which caps to use.

I have no hard feelings for anyone. This is the best forum I've ever been on and it would stink if this experience was tainted by a stupid event like the one now. I am confused as to where I have questioned your knowledge or where I've put up an attitude. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, somehow, in some shape or form.

In regards to the relationship between quality and specs. I was stupid for writing that, as I know crap caps can at many times be better than Japanese 'lytics, but generally won't last as long. Everyone makes mistakes.

*sigh*
                Last edited by TheLaw; 03-31-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

TheLaw,

Sometimes vulgarity can be perceived as offensive, there is no need for it.

Regarding using 12.5mm caps... I would say Panasonic FM class to FC class would be just fine. So any of these from PCBONEZ' list:

FM, FR -- [.030][.018-.019]
                  HV, ZLH, KZM, KZH, NRSH -- [.029-.033][.019-.020]
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  ZL, KZE, WX, HD, GK, NRSG -- [.041][.023]
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  ZT (125C - Low ESR & High Temp) -- [.054][.030]
                  PA, FK -- [.044][.035]
                  Mouser is replete with stock, so you should have no problem finding these. If Panasonic is out of stock, try first Nichicon and then UCC.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    TheLaw,

Sometimes vulgarity can be perceived as offensive, there is no need for it.

Regarding using 12.5mm caps... I would say Panasonic FM class to FC class would be just fine. So any of these from PCBONEZ' list:

Mouser is replete with stock, so you should have no problem finding these. If Panasonic is out of stock, try first Nichicon and then UCC.
                    Yeah sorry I was on my break. A bit frustrated you see.

Anyway, regarding the real topic: Thank you. I'll go with FMs and then everything else you wrote. If they aren't in stock, I'll use something like FC/KMG/LXY.

Thanks again. I'll try to tone it down, I guess.

Comment

I can't find G-luxon HM on their current site or on their old site that I saved. (To add more confusion - their old site has different specs than the new site does for the same series...but that's a story for another thread...)

The G-luxon HM capacitors are low ESR, from the looks of where they are in the power supply, but this has already been established.

In cases where I can't find a datasheet, I'll often go with FM due to their long rated life or UCC KZE/Nichicon HD/Rubycon ZL for low ESR power supply caps.

Don't use KMG to replace the G-luxon HM - KMG are general purpose (not low ESR).

FC and LXY are low ESR, but my guess (strictly a guess since I don't have datasheets for the G-luxon) is they should be a bit lower based on their location in the PSU.

KZE and HD have good availability on several sites. They'd probably be my first choice to replace the G-luxon HM.

Comment

G-Luxon HM Data Sheet.
                        ---
                        G-Luxon leaves data sheets to their old series on the server but the web pages don't have links.
                        ---
                        Just copy the link to existing series like this..
                        http://www.luxon.com.tw/elec/Product%20Word/FM.zip
                        ---
                        Enter it in the URL box in your browser
                        ---
                        Change it to the series you want ,, like this..
                        http://www.luxon.com.tw/elec/Product%20Word/HM.zip
                        And click 'go'.
                        ---
                        Not every one will be there but many are..
                        ---
                        Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

The data sheet is over 10 years old and they weren't listing ESR.

Also the 2200uF 16v looks like it's longer than what is in the data sheet.
                          [That's not too usual. Especially with crap brands.]

Measure your cap and use the dimensions to find the closest match in the data sheet.
                          Use the ripple from that as the basis to choose the new cap.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Cool. Well I guess I measured wrong or something because it says the case-size is 13x20. Hmmph. Well, I was using a ruler I got for free from a convention.

EDIT: Beat me to it ^

FMs look like a good fit, then.
                            Last edited by TheLaw; 03-31-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

The 2200uF 10V is exactly 10 x 20 which would give it around 1100mA RC according to the Datasheet.

As I look closer at my PSU, 12.5 is really looking like a stretch, so I think I might have to go back to 10mm.

Are Nichicon HMs still bad? They seem to have ideal specifications for this. If not, the only other ones I'm seeing are HN/KY/Panasonic FR.

Does anyone know if FR is any good? I bought some for a network card recap a while ago. They seem to work fine, but they seem kind of shoddy on Panasonic's part. There's not even a Matsushita (M) on the sleeve anymore. Not even the word Panasonic. Seems unlike them.

Maybe I'll try HM/HN...

FM doesn't come in 10mm.

Comment

HN and HM were only bad from 2001-2004.

Panasonic FR are a brand new series.
                                FR are almost identical to FM for ESR/Ripple but have a longer Endurance Lifetime.
                                [Which people confuse as useful lifetime and it isn't.]
                                -
                                FM already last forever.
                                Upgrading the Endurance Lifetime doesn't have any real world -practical- value but on paper they are better caps than FM.
                                Can use FR and FM interchangeably.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

When I run into the 10mm 2200uF-4700uF PSU cap problem I get Samxon RS from badcaps.net
                                  Use the 3300uF/16v or 3300uF/10v RS for 2200-4700uF originals.

You CAN find others in 2200uF but it's not easy...
                                  ... 'over' 2200uF it's about the only choice..

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Too bad FRs are so darn ugly. >.>. Yeah it's not important, but for those macro-shots, its always nice to see a big Matsushita logo smiling back at you.

Anyway....HM vs FR. Hmm. I belive HMs are slightly better on paper. HNs are absolutely beautiful and HZs are disgustingly good, but disgustingly expensive and disgustingly hard to find.

I haven't seen HN in power supplies, probably because it's kind of expensive. But for 6 caps, the price difference will only be a few bucks...so what the heck, might as well...I guess

Comment

I missed something you said.
                                      The 16v PSU caps are usually on +12v.
                                      You can't use a 10v cap.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

A 10x20mm at 1100 mA is less than FC.
                                        The problem is finding a 2200uF/16v in 10mm.
                                        --
                                        Currently
                                        Mouser has one but the mA is too low.
                                        Digikey has none.
                                        --
                                        Unless you are gonna risk eBay I suggest you get the 3300uF/16v RS from here.
                                        If you do PSU's often then you might want to get 10 or 20.
                                        The 10mm Cap in PSU problem comes up all the time.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Panasonic nor any of the others have a 16V part in 10mm. You will have to use Samxon RS. Panasonic only has FK 10V in a 10mm part IIRC, and only Newark has FK in stock, and their shipping charges are high.
                                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                          X