Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You think you see it all?

Think again.

Todays my mate from high school phoned, if I could recap him six caps... And then come to my place with THIS:

I must say that I was pretty shocked that the GFX card was still usable with caps looking like that... And he claimed that the owner used it, yet it was problematic. Like rebooting 10 times per day as normal stuff...

Some of the GSC caps aren't bulged, but look closer...

Now what the f*ck is this?

Ah, that is why they did not bulged!

Also, he come with Jetway mainboard for Socket A based on VIA KT600 chipset, and full of GSC caps:

He brought some Nichicons (5 of them) to recap the board and 6 to recap the GFX card. I recapped the six most bulging GSC caps with his six Tayeh 100uF 6.3V caps and replaced 5 of the Vcore caps on the mobo with these Nichicons, leaved one most well-looking GSC casp from the six ones... Machine found working w/o troubles later, however I dubt it will run stable - it is getting old and these GSC caps (all over whole board!) aren't worth even talking about...

But seen that on the GFX card, I could not help myself to share that pictures. I seen a lot of bad caps recently, I recapped a lot of mainboards (2x DFI LP B, Jetway N2PAP Ultra, Jetway V266B, Abi ST6-R, Abit KD7-G, ESC P6STMT...) and few GFX cards, however I never seen the caps und up like that.

Sure, if one put them on 230V AC and flip the switch, they will look pretty bad - probably much worser that what is on the pictures right now - however this was not the case of purposefully destroying cap. This was supposed to be a normal usage case...

Jetway, Jetway, Jetway...!
    Last edited by trodas; 07-16-2006, 08:43 AM.
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Re: You think you see it all?

Elevator "shoes". Cool. Looks like GSC has poor process control on the internal pressure necessary to open their caps' vents.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That's a suprisingly LARGE amount of venting, even for GSC caps. Those top "exhausts" are so wide open you can see the insides of the capacitor!

It's strange, since those "wide open" caps don't even have any dried electrolyte on them. The closest I've seen to something looking like that is when one intentionally "blows" a capacitor within a minute by connecting it backwards... but then you see the paper shredded into fibers...

Mysterious ...
      Last edited by tiresias; 07-16-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I saw a photo some time ago on this forum, which showed a seriously vented cap... and I do mean SERIOUSLY. The top of the cap was completely opened up, you could see the rolled up paper/foil inside. It wasn't exuding any electrolyte, it just looked like gas had popped out of it

According to the original poster of that pic, the fuse had been replaced with one that was too high in rating. Therefore, it didn't blow when there was a power surge... instead the cap blew
        You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Tom, that was a cash register or something, no?

Those are just insane. Where'd the electrolyte go?!...

I recapped the six most bulging GSC caps with his six Tayeh 100uF 6.3V caps

Out of necessity I assume. You'll probably be getting it back soon.
          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

PeteS in CA - for me it looks like GCS win the "worsest cap ever" price at large

tiresias - all I can see inside looked like a pieces of hay... I think the electrolyte just dry up... or drain up, as the cap position on GFX card was upside down...

Tom41 - and you see, this was not misued, these caps are originally there soldered ...

Shroomie - well, I did not provide any recapping service, nor I intend to do so (too booring and I was having lot's of problems with own hardware that need recapping...) - so I used caps he provided. I made typo, of course these Tayeh caps are 1000uF 6.3V - but they are Tayeh. Quality equivalent crap of Teapos, I believe. But I did not have big enough stash of 1000uF 6.3V d8 caps, so I had no choice.
            Both the board and gfx card will return back to me one day for sure. But after recapping it could fold pretty well I think...
            "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
            "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

There are quite a few series that provide ~1000uF/6.3 in 8mm - Rubycon YXG, YXF; Panasonic FC, FK; Chemicon LXZ; etc. Tayeh are similar to GSC and much worse than Teapo - you'll have to recap it again fairly soon.

Comment

i have seen gloria caps blown open worse than that in shuttle fv boards.
                at first glance you say oh shit they are hatching!appology to anyone who hasnt seen alien.

Comment

A self opening beer can, somebody shook them too much.
                  Jim

Comment

linuxguru - heheh, you right - of course there is a hell lot of 1000uF 6.3V caps with d8. The problem is, however, that I have to solder what he bring me to and that it is.
                    Anyway, why do you recommend such general usage caps? I would rather go for example with Pannyes with the FM line, where is also d8 1000uF 6.3V and even 1200uF 6.3V ones - but I got last few of them from the DFI recap, and I did not going to waste then on someone GF4MX440 card witch he throw away in few months - the time might survive even the used Tayeh ones - tough I have my doubts...

kc8adu - oh, even worse? What could be worser? We demand a pictures!
                    No kidding. It should become classic

arneson - LOL

Comment

Those look like headcrab canisters in Half Life 2

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        i have seen gloria caps blown open worse than that in shuttle fv boards.
                        at first glance you say oh shit they are hatching!appology to anyone who hasnt seen alien.
                        yup. i've seen a LOT worse than that! HAHA
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

LOL
                          And up to this I thought that nothing worser can be seen

Bad caps could always bring surprise, hehe!

...anyway, any pic of worser failure than these opened GSC caps, Topcat?

Comment

Working...
                          X