Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recap for fun

Hi guys,
    I'm new on this great forum, but pretty familiar with electronic service. It's just a hobby, not my everyday job, but I like it and it's a good way of spending my spare times.
    I have an ASROCK 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2 motherboard, 1.5 years old and I've decided to recap it completely. It works flawless, recap just for fun and checking its overclocking margins.
    The motherboard came with:
    30 x 1000μF/6.3V Nippon Chemi-Con TMZ = 0.02 - 0.03 Ω ESR
    3 x 1000μF/16V Nippon Chemi-Con KZG = 0.01 Ω ESR (CPU)
    1 x 1000μF/16V Nippon Chemi-Con KMZ = 0.01 Ω ESR
    7 x 1500μF/6.3V Panasonic FJ = 0.01 Ω ESR (CPU)
    2 x 1500μF/6.3V Panasonic FL = 0.01 Ω ESR (DDR)
    5 x 100μF/16V Teapo (sorry, forgot to get the series) = 0.05 Ω ESR

I ordered all capacitors as follows:
    Rubycon MCZ 1000μF 16v
    Rubycon MCZ 1500μF 6.3v
    Panasonic FM 100μF 50V

I'm thinking about replacing only the Nippon Chemi-Con and Teapo caps and leaving Panasonics as they are now.
    What do you think - should I replace all caps (including Panasonics) or even leaving the board as it, as it works flawless?
    Thanks guys.

Re: Recap for fun

I would have started with an obsolete board as my first recap, just in case it doesn't work out, no harm done.

As for the Panasonic FJ/FL, you won't find a better cap, so leave them as is.

Your recapping technique will determine the success of the project. That board will have ROHS lead-free solder, so you are for sure going to have to apply new solder to melt the old stuff to remove the caps.

Main thing is extreme patience and zero force. Work SLOWLY. If the cap does not want to come out easily, apply more solder. The cap legs should slide out like without yanking.

The hard part is removing the caps and cleaning out the holes. You need a good fixture to hold the board so you can remove and replace the caps and a soldering station or iron with 60 watts of power.

The rest you learn by asking questions and doing it.

Comment

Thank you bigbeark, that really came in handy! I'm not the biggest fan of lead-free solder, thanks for the tip. I'll be carefull and I won't hurry up a bit.
      Actually I'm not so afraid of a failure as I have 20 years of electronics hobby behind, worked with SMD and multilayer boards, my big concern is your opinion regarding what should I do next. I mean, what would you do if...
      Should I replace NCC and Teapo caps or just leave it as it is as won't see any improvement?
      I did not made massive recap before and I don't know if there is a point in replacing good capacitors just to get 0.01Ω less on ESR. (NCC to Rubycon)
      Thanks guys.

Comment

i would replace the kzg and call it a day.

Comment

kzg----> replace
          teapo----> replace

the rest is good... unless you dare to polymod, which since it has worked flawlessly, would be of little or npimprovement (it might already have poly caps by the cpu)
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Replace only the KZG caps.

The Teapos are too small to go bad, unless they are placed in a very hot area.

Comment

Thanks guys, that will be a fun job.

Comment

Job done. Great success.
                I've recapped all capacitors, except Panasonics. Nippon/United Chemi-Con were replaced with Rubycon MCZ, Teapo replaced with Panasonic FM. I'm talking about ~50 capacitors.
                Everything went smoothly, except for a catch - my new flush cutter proved to be a piece of shit - it died after just one cap. I had to use the scissor and I was nearly to detach one connection hole, right at the DDR voltage. Crap chinese cutter.
                So everything went well, yea, with some thrills, but it's more fun that way. As a matter of fact, it was "recap for fan". And more - after recap, I'm able to reach 3.5Ghz with my E7500 (it might go further, but I didn't tried), before it didn't passed 3.4Ghz. A small gain, but still, good results for money and work.
                Thanks for help guys.

Comment

Working...
                X