Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to give Windows 8 a try - but NO METRO, thank you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to give Windows 8 a try - but NO METRO, thank you.

I've watched some youtube vids on Win8 and liked the improvements to the regular desktop UI. The Up button is back, the startup items manager is now built into the task manager, the task manager finally has different colors ala Process Explorer... neat. And since i can get a Win7 start menu on it by just changing a registry value, i think i'll give it a go on my HP DV5.

Reason: Accidental HDD upgrade... I wanted a 320GB IDE HDD for my iBook G4 to use for DJ'ing (it can't do much else, but it runs Traktor perfectly), and i got a package today, but surprise surprise: Inside was a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue... SATA. The 160GB drive in the DV5 (again a Scorpio Blue) is full, so since i've bought this 320GB drive anyway, might as well give my HP a well-earned upgrade.

I'm interested in 3 things: Audio performance, memory usage and boot times. We'll see how it fares.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Going to give Windows 8 a try - but NO METRO, thank you.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    And since i can get a Win7 start menu on it by just changing a registry value, i think i'll give it a go on my HP DV5.
    You can't. That hack only worked in developer preview.
    M$ removed all start menu code from the RTM version.
    There are some start menu apps though which try to return the start menu to Windows 8.

Some info: http://superuser.com/questions/46268...k-in-windows-8
    Last edited by ddscentral; 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM. Reason: Added link.

Comment

Originally posted by ddscentral View Post
      You can't. That hack only worked in developer preview.
      M$ removed all start menu code from the RTM version.
      There are some start menu apps though which try to return the start menu to Windows 8.

Some info: http://superuser.com/questions/46268...k-in-windows-8
      Are you sure?

Comment

Just use ClassicShell if you want your start menu back
        And, enjoy! I'm sure you will like it.
        Last edited by shovenose; 11-16-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Just turn the Aero off on windows 7, and then you have 8 with no metro.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
            Are you sure?
            I'm sure it's possible. http://techmell.com/how-to/completel...-ui-windows-8/ Or shall i... hmm... install Mac OSX instead?

@ c_hegge: Turning off Aero in Windows 7 (selecting a basic theme) actually DECREASES performance.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I'm sure it's possible. http://techmell.com/how-to/completel...-ui-windows-8/ Or shall i... hmm... install Mac OSX instead?
              windows 95 would be an upgrade from 8...... *waits for our resident fanboy*
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Windows 8 is as much as a diaster as Unity is for Ubuntu (which I'm using right now; it's awkward but I don't have the time to reinstall.) Boo -- Bring back a Start menu, or some menu where I can easily select problems labelled by -TEXT-. I don't want to have to guess what each icon does.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  Windows 8 is as much as a diaster as Unity is for Ubuntu (which I'm using right now; it's awkward but I don't have the time to reinstall.) Boo -- Bring back a Start menu, or some menu where I can easily select problems labelled by -TEXT-. I don't want to have to guess what each icon does.
                  For Ubuntu, and Linux in general, you can always install a different desktop environment. In Windows this isn't an option.

I just installed Linux Mint on my Samsung QX410 laptop. Like you, I didn't like the Unity desktop and the fall back version of Gnome was very minimal. Mint uses it's own desktop called "Cinnamon", and I like it. It has much of the functionality that the older style desktop environments had.

AND, you can install it on Ubuntu too:

http://www.itworld.com/software/3071...op-ubuntu-1210

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/04/26...-ubuntu-12-04/

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                    Are you sure?
                    Yes, I have actually tried to enable the start menu by modifying a registry key
                    (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and set RPEnabled to 0) and it did NOT work.
                    Enabling start menu with a registry hack only worked in Windows 8 Developer Preview.

To get the start menu or Windows 7-style UI in Windows 8, you have to use third party software.

There's no way to completely disable Metro without using third party tools.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      You don't have to. I actually find the new Explorer very convenient. The Up button is back, and we have a ribbon-style toolbar ala Office 2007 and up, which can be hidden, or you can keep it there all the time.

Originally posted by ddscentral View Post
                      To get the start menu or Windows 7-style UI in Windows 8, you have to use third party software.

There's no way to completely disable Metro without using third party tools.
                      That is correct. I ended up using Stardock's Start8.

With Metro out of the way and a regular start menu in, Windows 8 is actually pretty good. It's faster than Windows 7 and uses less RAM. I think this is a first for MS - making an OS that uses less memory than the previous. The install was also pretty fast - it took just under 30 minutes. The bootscreen is fugly tho.

Drivers were not a problem - with this 3.5-year old HP Pavilion DV5, the only thing that wasn't detected was the card reader (Jmicron), and for that the Windows 7 drivers supplied by HP worked fine. I also installed the Windows 7 sound driver so that the mute icon turns red when sound is muted, but sound did work out of the box. Same goes for wireless and Bluetooth.

At startup, Windows 8 used ~600MB of RAM. Compare that to Windows 7 which used about 1.3GB. I'm going to test audio performance later on, but this article by Cakewalk shows that Win8 is a promising platform.

The major annoyances like SmartScreen filter can be disabled at setup time, and UAC is like Win7 - can be turned off first time it shows up. Windows Defender has also gained antivirus capabilities, improving on the antimalware protection it had on Win7. Not sure i'm going to use it tho, as it identifies a number of hack tools as viruses - but any other antivirus does that as well.

To sum it up, first time experience of the Windows 8 desktop is positive. I'm not going to touch the Metro interface with a 10-foot pole however.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        windows 95 would be an upgrade from 8...... *waits for our resident fanboy*
                        Wasn't gonna post but I thought the resident fanboy should show up

Comment

Originally posted by topcat View Post
                          windows 95 would be an upgrade from 8
                          qft
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I would still run Win98 if it were supported, but sadly, no dice. Although fans have made many improvements, it still can't use more than 1GB RAM, or use more than one CPU/core. It doesn't even install on new machines.

For now, Windows 8 with Start8 is alright with me. From a performance standpoint it's better than Win7, and the new Explorer is nice too. The only annoying thing so far is that they screwed up the font rendering in IE10 - but i don't use IE, so i could care less.

Comment

At startup, Windows 8 used ~600MB of RAM. Compare that to Windows 7 which used about 1.3GB.
                              Compare that to 87 MEGAbytes on my P3 laptop and 95 MEGAbytes on my daily use desktop.... or a whooping 113 MEGAbytes on my gaming PC.
                              ^ All of that in XP . I find that some of my Windows 2000 installs actually use more.

Comment

At startup, Windows 8 used ~600MB of RAM. Compare that to Windows 7 which used about 1.3GB.
                                Bull, Win7 does not use 1.3GB RAM in a fresh install.
                                As a matter of fact I have a freshly installed Win7 SP1 system right here, only updated applied to it is IE9
                                It's completely stock, I have just installed a CADCAM software on it.
                                Right now on a fresh bootup after idling 5 minutes it is using 488MB RAM according to Task Manager
                                Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM.
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Compare that to 87 MEGAbytes on my P3 laptop and 95 MEGAbytes on my daily use desktop.... or a whooping 113 MEGAbytes on my gaming PC.
                                  ^ All of that in XP . I find that some of my Windows 2000 installs actually use more.
                                  Okay, my Win98 laptop uses 40 MEGAbytes or something to that extent. Heck, it would make do with just 32MB RAM.

This is hardly the point, open up a dozen tabs on any web browser and that alone takes at least 500MB. I have just expressed my opinion on the Windows 8 performance at the desktop. You can keep using 7 or XP or whatever you please. You're all going to have to switch anyway, support for XP will be dropped in 2014.

Now with Steam coming to Linux, things are going to get interesting...
                                  Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I hope Linux becomes more popular and supported in the near future. Microsoft has had it their own way for too long and are only creating crappy operating systems to keep the money flowing. I love win7 but still, I think Linux is the way forward if their was more support.

Comment

Okay, my Win98 laptop uses 40 MEGAbytes or something to that extent. Heck, it would make do with just 32MB RAM.
                                      Windows 98 uses nearly double that on my desktop computer. I have 128MB of RAM, and most of it is used by Windows. That computer originally had 32MB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        Bull, Win7 does not use 1.3GB RAM in a fresh install.
                                        qft I dunno if even with 3DS Max uses that much on a fresh start, lol.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                        X