Just A General "Does This Look Blown To You??" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just A General "Does This Look Blown To You??" Question

I am assuming that if one is not sure whether a cap is blown or not, it's likely a good idea to swap it out...
    Attached Files

Re: Just A General "Does This Look Blown To You??" Question

Is this a Hitachi plasma power supply? The 100V caps bulging is a common and well known issue with these.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It IS a Hitachi... Seems to work OK which surprised me. I thought for sure those were blown...

Comment

Test them?

Comment

Change them, its better to change them now, and have them fail and risk something else being taken out in the process

Comment

I have an Hitachi plasma my self, I'm still getting around to fixing it needing a buffer board but from what I remember from my research about these particular caps is when they start bulging, they produce an instability which can take out the lower/upper buffer board, someone somewhere said something about it being a higher voltage is produced but I can't back that idea up, needless to say a change is probably a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dang View Post
              I have an Hitachi plasma my self, I'm still getting around to fixing it needing a buffer board but from what I remember from my research about these particular caps is when they start bulging, they produce an instability which can take out the lower/upper buffer board, someone somewhere said something about it being a higher voltage is produced but I can't back that idea up, needless to say a change is probably a good idea.
              I was just about to type the same reply. Consider yourself lucky if you have those two caps bulging with both buffers still functional. Every one of these I've encountered with the caps bulging has 1 or both buffers blown. It will happen if the caps aren't changed. Just a matter of time.

Comment

Good points all.. Thanx for all the replies. Much appreciated...

Comment

Can of air and clean that poor sucker out!

Comment

Yea, I already took my air compressor to it.. What a mess..

Comment

Let's say, for the sake of a discussion, that I ignored the great advice I received and left the (apparently) blown caps in and ran the TV all night...

Let's further postulate that, when I came in the next morning, shocker of shocks, the TV had died...

What boards did I likely blow??

I did replace the caps (day late/dollar short comes to mind) but the TV still won't come on.. I hit the master power button and the RED standby light comes on and it immediately goes to BLUE which is labeled ON.

I hear a distinct relay CLICK when the master power button is pushed and a faint relay click a few seconds after the light goes BLUE..

Nothing appears obviously blown, but I know enough to know that doesn't mean much...

Where should I look first??

For the record, this is a Hitachi P50T501

Comment

Buffers and Y-sustain, usually. Maybe Y-sustain survives?
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                          Let's say, for the sake of a discussion, that I ignored the great advice I received
                          More tough love.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

Mark Twain

DON'T FIX IT. Put it up somewhere you can see it daily as a reminder for taking shortcuts and ignoring the advice of posts 5, 6 and 7.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              More tough love.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

Mark Twain

DON'T FIX IT. Put it up somewhere you can see it daily as a reminder for taking shortcuts and ignoring the advice of posts 5, 6 and 7.
                              Touche'

Comment

Never ignore badcaps I learnt that the hard way several years ago, maybe you will learn from this not to ignore them ;(
                                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                                  Never ignore badcaps I learnt that the hard way several years ago, maybe you will learn from this not to ignore them ;(
                                  Abso-tively....

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                                    Yea, I already took my air compressor to it.. What a mess..
                                    You may not want to use a air compressor as they usually have some oil in the lines. The clean air cans I think are a better way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                      You may not want to use a air compressor as they usually have some oil in the lines. The clean air cans I think are a better way to go.
                                      They are also usless, I use a small ball compressor that generates air as it runs only cost £10 works better than a tank compressor and crappy cans of air.
                                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                        As long as it is a direct-drive, oil-less type compressor (most small compressors are this type) and the hose has not been used on an traditional oil-lubricated compressor or with a line oiler you should be fine.

Around here the air duster cans are WAY too expensive. A couple cans of that and you might as well buy yourself a small compressor.

Comment

Working...
                                        X