Vizio SV471XVT IR Sensor not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio SV471XVT IR Sensor not working

This is my brother in laws TV, he lives in Florida and I am in Illinois so I can't repair the TV for him, he said they had a lightning storm and his TV and Direct TV are surge protected, since the storm the TV works fine with the exception of the IR receiver, it does Not respond to the remote control.

He has two different Vizio TV's same model number and has tried the other remote and both remotes work on the other TV with no problems, so I'm suspecting the IR Receiver board will need replaced. does anyone have any other advice? I told him to leave the TV unplugged for about an hour to see if that will help.

IR receiver board 3642-0072-0189, that is the part number I came up with by searching with his model number.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Vizio SV471XVT IR Sensor not working

Seems a little puzzling to me... if the t-storm killed the IR sensor only and not anything else, was the TV struck directly by lightning? If it came through the power line it would have to go through the power supply and the mainboard before it would get the IR sensor board, unless this tv is different from other ones I've seen.

I've found in every LCD tv I've ever worked on, the IR sensor board is the same electrically although not physically. You could take an IR sensor board from a completely different TV and it will probably work if you can match up the connector and get the board to fit. If you're handy with solder rework, you could also take the IR sensor off another board and put it in place of the defective one and it should work.

But my first instinct is that it's probably a loose connection inside. Does the standby/power on LED still work? Usually it's on the same board as the IR sensor.

FWIW, I haven't seen the insides of this particular model TV before, so it could be dramatically different from what I've seen in my limited experience, in which case disregard everything I've said.

Comment

I just realized a power surge could also come through the antenna or one of the other video input/outputs, in which case, it would still pass through the mainboard, but not the power supply. I guess it is possible.

Comment

Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know but I think he said it was a nearby lightning strike, no other tv's or electronic items in the house were affected as far as I know. The standby/power on Vizio logo led still works normally, he ordered a replacement IR Sensor board, after he gets it installed I will update and say if that fixed the problem.
        Last edited by MisterD; 07-14-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I hope it's not the Main Board but I guess it's possible that lightning may have done some damage by static charge to the processor or circuit that controls the IR Sensor board, I know it can skip some circuits and damage others sometimes unless the TV takes a direct hit.
          budm or tom66 do you have any comments on this one? Thanks.

Comment

Something may have gotten scrambled.
            May be try factory reset in post 6, notes: I never done it myself.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Did he try cleaning the tv where the IR receiver is and did he try from close up?
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I emailed it to him, but I see where it says to use the remote control so it may not work in this circumstance. I guess it's worth a try. Thanks Bud.

Comment

I'm guessing main board. I've had a vizio do this to me. Different model but same situation. Power surge, followed by a dead remote sensor. Had to replace the main.

Comment

EEPROM scramble or in my case.... The IR/Button connectors got loose on a Vizio I had. lol Capkid caught me slippin on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                      Did he try cleaning the tv where the IR receiver is and did he try from close up?
                      Yes, he tried that selldoor, Thanks, I always appreciate your help.

Comment

He replaced the IR Sensor board but no change, so it must be the main board that needs replaced, he doesn't want to spend anymore money on this tv, he will use it as is and will buy a new tv in a couple months, I told him I will take this Vizio and I have a shipping box that will hold up to a 50" LCD tv.
                        Not sure what it would cost to send the empty box from Illinois to Florida and then back to me with the tv inside.

Comment

I made a trip to Florida to visit family anyway and he gave me the TV free of charge, I'm not back home yet but will disassemble and check it out once I get home.

Comment

Back home now with the TV, I Checked wires and connectors from IR Board to Main board for continuity all good, so I ordered a replacement Main Board, got it today and I replaced it and that fixed the problem, not sure what actually failed but I assume the main processor lost communication from it to the IR board, otherwise everything else functioned normally on the old main board just no use of the remote control.
                            Last edited by MisterD; 10-27-2014, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X