This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi my name is Mack and I'm fairly new to the electronic world. I came here for help and maybe one day I will help someone else.

Cheers!

Comment

Tim here from England, found the forums trying to fix my studio monitors (still no luck, grr). You all seem like a friendly helpful bunch

Comment

Re:Hi gang, great to be here New Members - please post your introductions here

My real name is Chris, Paul Revere was a short lived CB handle, so I chose it for my user name. Call me either. I went to an electronics school in Pittsburgh and graduated with an associates in electronics technology in the early 80's. Did a stint with a telecommunications test manufacturer right out of school. Shortly thereafter started a business in the mid 80's initially in C band satellites. When business tanked after HBO scrambled their first channels, I went to work as a repair tech for an electronics retailer. Continued with the business on the side. The retailer went bankrupt (thru no fault of my own) haha, but I learned enough of the repair business to add that to my business. It was the heyday of repairable vcrs. Somewhere in there I moonlighted as a dj. I watched business get worse during the 90's after walmart moved in 4 miles from me. I used to sell antennas, cables, remotes some parts etc. I hung in there thru a lot of bad years (and a few good), till I had to get a job in 2011 with a company that made stuff for the military industrial complex. I got laid off mid summer this year, so for the moment I'm doing repairs full time again. For as long as I've been at this, my troubleshooting skills are still not the greatest, as I used to spend more time running the business and subbing the technical work to local techs who moonlighted for me. That's the short story.
        I'm a shortwave radio listening, uber patriot, Harley riding, survivalist.

Comment

Hi, My name is Philip, I like fixing things and building small projects. I am trying to learn all I can, this forum looks like the right place.

Comment

Hello all. I too suffer from that dread disease of "tinkeritis". if has screws or nuts and bolts and they put it together then why shouldn't I be able to take it apart? I've even taken apart some things that weren't exactly designed to be taken apart but i'm sure most of you have too. It's a shame that we have come to live in a disposable society and as a car technician I see it daily. Anyway.....I sometimes tend to babble. I come here seeking plasma tv knowledge to attempt and resurrect what would have been land fill fodder. Hope I'm able to fulfill the Quest.

Pete
            South Georgia

Comment

Hi there, my name is Chris. I am a software engineer by trade, and have enjoyed repairing electronics since I was a kid. My most fun project about 8 years ago was restoring a 1956 Rockola jukebox, which I listen to once a week (why aren't things made today designed to last like that!) I'm always eager to learn how to repair something new, though.

Comment

hello, fingers crossed that the helpful people on this forum can save my tv

Comment

Howdy!
                  Let's see: I'm a retired software engineer, originally trained as a physicist. I took the required "electronics for scientists" classes, so I've worked a soldering iron before... but not for a long time, and never particularly well!

I came here via google, looking for help with my Samsung plasma TV which gave up the ghost. The forum seems to have exactly the info I need, pictures and everything, which is awesome. Now I just need the courage to try the repair myself! :-)

Comment

hello )

Comment

Hello, my name is Lauren, I'm 35' live in Detroit Michigan USA. I joined this forum so that I could learn about my Coby LEDTV2326, so that I could fix it.

Comment

Hi, just getting ready to post a troubleshooting issue with my plasma TV that has been plaguing me. Looking forward to the expert advice from members!

Thanks,
                        Ben

Comment

Really dont like the idea of opening the back of a highly charged electronic and getting a life threatening shock but sometimes fear can be overrideen by some prudent intent to save a wad of cash!

Comment

Hi I live in South East England Kent and I am a retired domestic appliance engineer with over 40 years in the business, with an interest in computers. My first one was over 20 years ago and I would stay up most of the night trying to put right what I had done. One of my hobby's is Microsoft Flight Simulation (FSX) and have a dedicated computer set up for flying.
                            My Father had a TV repair shop in London, England from 1935 to 1951 so at the very beginning on TVs.

One of the many story's he told was of being at the trial of John Logie Baird and EMI-Marconi in 1936 at Alexandra Palace where the BBC would select the winner Marconi-E.M.I. won and this led to television as we know it today.

Comment

Hi all, my name is Norman and I live in North Texas. I'm an Electrical Engineering Tech. I've worked in the semiconductor industry for 15 years now. I'm a tech at heart so I try and fix everything. that doesn't always work out. This looks like a great forum and look forward to using this site for help. Thank you.

Comment

Hi, I live in Washington State. I am a Machinist that builds parts for Boeing airplanes. My house just took a near hit by lightning wiping out most all of my electronics. so I have many questions. Thanks

Comment

John here - found this site while attempting to find info on Vizio E422 LCD that bit the dust, 3 months after a near miss in a thunderstorm.

The screen name/handle? Well, if you have spent any time in this field, then you know - otherwise, it really means that something is fouled up beyond all recognition..... or something like that :-).

Background is 40 years in electronics, ranging from component level repairs through quality assurance positions, technical publications and engineering support services management in very large international company.

I look forward to sharing experiences with others here!

Comment

I registered because the initial search and forum replies were informative and had a ring of helpfulness so prevalent in most technology circles. I'm a Systems Engineer with a background in programming and hardware troubleshooting accumulating 20 years in the industry. I also handle Security in a large enterprise. I'm fascinated by anything that eludes instantaneous comprehension....and stuff.

Comment

Hey, Chris from Brooklyn, NY. Trying to fix my 55" Samsung before Sunday night! Need to watch Boardwalk Empire and Homeland and Walking Dead!

Thanks.

Comment

Good afternoon everyone. Crowd shouts, "Normmm!" I'm new, be gentle.

Comment

IS this where I really am ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X