X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone, i am Justin.

I consider myself a computer person and was given a free TV from a friends parents who thought it was broke. I have fixed it partially and here looking for some assistance.

Hope to have some good conversations with some of you, but im a newbie when it comes to TV and whatnot...so dumb it down a little. haha

Comment

Hello! Love this forum.

Comment

Hi,

I feel a bit of a fraud being here but figure I need somewhere I can learn. I belong to the school of "If you can't fix it with a hammer the you have an elctrical problem". I am sort of becoming familiar with a Multimeter so I guess I am on the ladder anyway.

Well maybe not that bad. I started with confuzers way back when and I built my first PC with parts imported from Taiwan.. I guess it would be in the late 60's or early 70's. I also had a Sinclair, BBC & C64 and dablled with some programming in the punch card era and did a quick run thru Basic.

I guess my member name gives a clue to my age

I like the technical side of computers, but I am not sure I'd be game yet to try to fix a mobo, and have a couple of monitors I want to sort - faulty caps probably. I also have a HD Video recorder I bought as having a dead hard drive but which a quick Google reveals more likely to be faulty caps as well.

I found this site when googling re the video recorder and after seeing some of the ecellent info available figured it would be a good place to hang out. I like things that stretch the mind..beats sitting in the retirmenet home aiwitng for the next meal.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotgunDragon View Post
          New to Badcaps but a Electronics/Computer geek from the 90's till today currently enrolled and almost completed 2yr associates degree in Computer Information Systems and did a 2yr program in electronics in the mid 90's found this site looking for a solution to being locked out of my Dell XPS L502x laptop due to faulty bios password and looking for a way to reset it with no luck. Hello to all and hope I posted this in the rite place for a beginner
          Ok I know this is New members intro and I hope this won't get me off on the wrong foot...apologies if it does.

With a desktop its usually done by removing the CMOS battery for a while but as you probably know thats not the way with laptops.

I found this on Techspot but have never had to try it:

: 1-create a dos system disk,
          : 2- copy "debug" (this is a dos command found in windows\command directory) onto the system disk you created,
          : 3- boot the machine with this disk,
          : 4- at dos prompt type: debug then enter, you will see a blinking dash
          : 5- type: o 70 2e then enter, (also seen: o 70 18)
          : 6- type: o 71 ff then enter,
          : 7- type: q then enter,
          : 8- remove the floppy and reboot! Power the system off and on by unplugging and re-plugging the system into the power outlet

Might be worth a try

Alan

Comment

Hi everyone.

I'm kind of a newbie and i'm trying to find a fix for a friend's TV. I've had some good luck finding help on the internet to repair refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines, and my own plasma TV.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Hi everyone,
              I found this site about a year ago when I needed to fix a 21" ViewSonic monitor. The problem was obvious in that many of the caps had blown. I orded a kit and was rewarded with a working monitor.

Now I hope to fix a 46" Dynex TV that I got for free. Kinda has the 2 seconds to black but not quite.

Thanks for providing such a helpful forum,

davidk

Comment

Hi folks,
                I came up this forum (you guessed it) while searching how to repair a bad TV. I have fixed a Polaroid LCD in the past by replacing bad caps and now need to fix my LG 50PX950.
                Hopefully with a little help from this forum i will be able to...

thanks,

hehehh

Comment

Hi there!
                  I'm just another guy with pretty much no skills in electronics trying to figure out whats wrong with an LCD-TV. I've always wanted to learn a little about how the stuff works so this seemed like a great opportunity. Googling the problem brought me to this forum over and over so I thought I might as well join up.

Have a nice one!

trunkmonkey

Comment

Hello everyone,

I found this site while trying to repair a friends LCD monitor and it was really helpful finding the source cause of the problem.

I am now looking to start repairing TV's as I have minimal skills working with them.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Hello, everyone,

My name Jason, I'm from Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, I came across this site, when I did a search trying to repair my 3yrs old broken Panasonic Plasma tv. I'm so graceful to be part of this community, and this place seem to have a lot for me learn, I'm so excited, I really into fixing and reading, and exploring new stuffs, I'm hoping everyone here, given me a chance to learn and be part of. Thanks very much for having me.

Jason,

Comment

Hi everyone,

I found this site some months ago when I needed to fix a 17" monitor. The problem was that many of the caps had blown.

Comment

Hi - I was just looking for information on why my Gateway monitor is dying. It's a DCDi with the EZtouch buttons....that have quit working. The menu lights don't light up anymore, not even the power button which was stuck on orange for a while, and now the monitor is stuck on the language menu, which I can't hit 'English' to turn it off. I can't even hit the power button to turn the monitor off. At least it's stuck in the 'on' mode

Other than that, I don't have much experience fixing things. I fixed my dryer and dishwasher, but those were more mechanical. I took some electrical engineering classes in college before I realized it wasn't for me and switched to aerospace...

Comment

Greetings all, as an electrician I am often called upon for electronics repairs. As you know there is quite a spread of problems etc in the field.

thanks in advance

Comment

Greetings,
                              I am a new member looking for a schematic for an iMac
                              power supply.

Comment

Hi all,
                                This is Mustafa (Moustapha, Mufasa, Mushi, Mous tee, list can be longer), 38 years old, from Turkey. Since I found out about this forum I am feeling like some of my prayers are accepted. I work for a global company worldwide and so far longest troubleshooting I have been through was soldering a couple of connectors or changing a whole bloody card. I am wishing to learn some real stuff after almost 20 years into my technical career.

Comment

Hi,
                                  Joined mainly to learn from other folks' mistakes with recapping vintage radios, and from reading your forum posts, it appears that I'm outta my league. I'll stick around tho, hoping maybe some of your smarts will rub off on me...

Thanks to all,
                                  Bud

Comment

A new member here too, live here in NYC.
                                    I am glad I found this board !
                                    Pretty sure I will get some help from here. To sort out my issue....
                                    With some reading already had the courage to open my Sony LCD.
                                    And already pretty confident my T-con is bad.
                                    Will post details/questions, when permitted to do so.
                                    Looking forward for some fun time learning and hopefully fixing our TV!

Comment

Hello All,
                                      I've joined this Forum because I am trying to repair a TV - I (think) I know what's faulty but I can't find the parts!
                                      Hoping someone can tell me a suitable supplier. I'll post details as soon as I can.
                                      Cheers,
                                      Paul, UK.

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm Jessica a software engineer from the north east of England.

I used to work for Revolution Computer Company, a very short lived computer company, on their even more shot lived Revolution One and Zero lines, since then I have been mostly freelance (and poor due to it).

I'm looking forward to learning a little bit more and wherever I can, helping out!

Comment

Great site: I searched and found it because I have a 26 inch pc monitor that went out and an old Sony tv that also went out. I am 71, and my first computer was a radio shack Tandy 1000, I have built a couple since then. It was fun and exciting at the time. My degree is in law but I like to tinker with electronics stuff. Perhaps I get it from my Uncle who in 1952, ran his television with the chassis off so he could tell which vacuum was malfunctioning and tap it to knock the flake that was causing the problem down to the bottom of the tube.

Comment

Working...
                                          X