Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIZIO M70-C3 No Power/Power Board Help

Hello,
    I have a Vizio M70-C3 that will not power on. After a little bit of research, I found out that I have 4 bad capacitors on the power board. While I was looking over the board to found the bad capacitors I also found a pin next to the 4 bad capacitors on the board was not soldered on the board correctly from the factory and wondering if I should repair it when I replace the capacitors. I am thinking that maybe I should not repair it because have been that for years and the tv worked fine with it not being soldered. I have attached some photos to show what I am talking about.
    Thanks for the help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwelch5792; 11-11-2020, 06:26 PM. Reason: Added more info

Re: VIZIO M70-C3 No Power/Power Board Help

That pin is soldered in place on the other boards I have looked at, do you know the history of the tv? can you tell if that D201 has been replaced or re-soldered? Fixing that and those 4 caps might be all you need.

Comment

The TV has never been repaired this is the first time the TV has ever been opened. I have had this TV for years and I bought it new. Why I am questioning if it need to be fix it the fact that it has been that why from the factory,

Comment

That is a dual diode and it looks like it missed the hole from the factory, I would insert the diode leg in the hole and solder it in place. The tv did work with only one of the dual diodes in place but it should have both, the diodes will be in parallel

Comment

I have the same TV, a M70-C3 and the same 4 capacitors are bad on my power supply board. They are bulging. What is the value of these capacitors? uF and voltage? Is it worth to replace them with bigger capacitors?

My capacitors are strategically glued down to hide the values. I popped two of them off the power supply board and plastic wrap around the capacitors are strategically stuck to the glue so they can not be read.

Thank you for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by michaelinor View Post
            i have the same tv, a m70-c3 and the same 4 capacitors are bad on my power supply board. They are bulging. What is the value of these capacitors? Uf and voltage? Is it worth to replace them with bigger capacitors?

My capacitors are strategically glued down to hide the values. I popped two of them off the power supply board and plastic wrap around the capacitors are strategically stuck to the glue so they can not be read.

Thank you for the help!

Attached Files

Comment

After some very careful prying it looks like I have the correct values:

1000uF 16v

I ordered the following expensive high-end capacitors as replacements. 1000uF 25v and 20000 Hrs life expectancy @ 105°C. These caps are a little taller but the same diameter as the originals. The board looks to have plenty of room for the extra length. I ordered a package of 10 from DigiKey. It was only a couple bucks more than ordering 4 capacitors. $25.31 with 3 day shipping. I could have gotten cheaper but then I would be just as cheap as Vizio was originally. I believe that I shouldn't ever have to do this repair again and hopefully this Visio will last as long as a Samsung TV now.

Digi-Key Part Number
              493-11281-ND
              Manufacturer
              Nichicon
              Manufacturer Product Number
              UPX1E102MHD
              Description
              CAP ALUM 1000UF 20% 25V RADIAL
              Detailed Description
              1000 uF 25 V Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors Radial, Can - 20000 Hrs @ 105°C

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...102MHD/4319346
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MichaelInOr; 04-17-2022, 01:47 AM.

Comment

New Nichicon capacitors are in:

Not EXACTLY an exact match for size.

I used some wick to suck out the old solder. Soldering the new ones in was easy enough.

I little tighter fit.

I put in a good bed of silicone.

Even though they look tight it would be very hard to short out the leads and the silicone is doing a good job of keeping the new capacitors separated off of the surrounding components. This pic makes the leads on the far left cap look really close together. They actually have a good amount of distance between them.

The set fired right up!

The hardest part was removing the TV from the wall mount then putting it back up once I was done. On the last TV I repaired (helped repair) my father took me down to the drug store and he taught me how to check the tubes to see if they were good or not.

In the realm of things I would say this is a pretty easy repair. Moving the TV around is definitely the most difficult part. If you could get some help moving the TV is would be considerably easier.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MichaelInOr; 04-22-2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I still remember my dad and I would make our semi-annual trek to Thrifty to check our tubes. Good times.
                  I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I replace all the caps on my tv and check for voltage - all caps give a reading except for one C214. am I missing something?

Comment

resolder it, sometimes it doesn't take right.

Comment

Originally posted by armandoca View Post
                        I replace all the caps on my tv and check for voltage - all caps give a reading except for one C214. am I missing something?
                        C214 is for the T-con +12v, You are likely missing the t-con_on signal from the main board.

Comment

resolder and replaced the cap. still no voltage

I had a feeling C214 could be waiting for a single from the main board, how can I check for this single?

by the way there is a red light that turns on - on the main board when I press the power button.

Comment

forgot to mention the power light flashed 16x -

Comment

Check the voltage on the t-con_on pin, monitor this pin while turning on the tv to see if it changes.

Comment

t-con_on fluctuate from 0.00 to 0.01 while turning on the tv

Comment

yep, looks like no tcon on signal from mainboard as mentioned, should probably be 3.3 volts or so, looking like mainboard issue.
                                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-09-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

There's Nick's doing a pro reflow, that's probably what you need, I do believe he gives a warranty too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkFCE42zoLM
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-09-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Try pushing on processor while pressing the power button. Or heating processor and trying to turn it on.
                                      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Working...
                                      X