Bad Power Supply on SCEPTRE X22WG-1080P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Power Supply on SCEPTRE X22WG-1080P

The power supply on my 22" LCD seems to have gone bad. I get no power, LEDs, etc. I have removed the PSU board and would like to replace the caps on it. I have looked around for schematics, but to no avail. I have contacted SCEPTRE support, and they have informed me that a replacement board is $90 including shipping. That is too much!

The part number(s) on the board are: FSP050-2L02 / 3BS0155511GP

If anyone out there has any experience with this board, and /or can tell me the values of the caps, i would greatly appreciate it. The caps that look bad to me are C3/4, C661/662, AND C553.

If I can determine the value of the caps, I can purchase replacements and go for it!

Thanks in advance...

Re: Bad Power Supply on SCEPTRE X22WG-1080P

Originally posted by austinringding
    The power supply on my 22" LCD seems to have gone bad. I get no power, LEDs, etc. I have removed the PSU board and would like to replace the caps on it. I have looked around for schematics, but to no avail. I have contacted SCEPTRE support, and they have informed me that a replacement board is $90 including shipping. That is too much!

The part number(s) on the board are: FSP050-2L02 / 3BS0155511GP

If anyone out there has any experience with this board, and /or can tell me the values of the caps, i would greatly appreciate it. The caps that look bad to me are C3/4, C661/662, AND C553.

If I can determine the value of the caps, I can purchase replacements and go for it!

Thanks in advance...
    Post clear pictures of the board. In my experience, the values of caps are printed on them.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hello, I am new to the site and to the forum, I recently had two of these sceptre x22wg LCD's fail on me. From there behavior and from what I have read online, I am assuming that the power supply is the issue. Originally I was intending to hack the power supply, but after taking it apart and inspecting the power supply, I considered my alternatives.
      Google searches brought me here, so I thought I'd drop a line and see what you guys think. I think that the caps maybe bad, there are several of these capxon 470uf25v caps, and some of them appear to be blown.
      What would you suggest? Replace all of the capxon caps and hope for the best? Pics provided. Thanks in advance.
      -Mc
      Attached Files

Comment

Two of them are definitely bloated and leaky material so they are BAD. Most here will recommend that you replace them all since 2 failed, the others are not far behind.

Replace them with low ESR quality caps from Rubycon (which is what I did for a similar situation and they were Capxon as well), Panasonic, or United Chemi-con.

After you replace the caps, retest. For my situation, replacing the caps solved the issue.

Originally posted by mctaurus13
        I think that the caps maybe bad, there are several of these capxon 470uf25v caps, and some of them appear to be blown.
        What would you suggest? Replace all of the capxon caps and hope for the best? Pics provided. Thanks in advance.
        -Mc
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Awesome, Thx for the quick reply. I am very new to this type of electrical expertise, but ready to jump in with two feet. Where would you suggest I acquire the replacement parts? Can I pick them up at Radio shack? Any suggestion are welcome, please and thank you.
          -Mc

Comment

Awesome, Thx for the quick reply. I am very new to this type of electrical expertise, but ready to jump in with two feet. Where would you suggest I acquire the replacement parts? Can I pick them up at Radio shack? Any suggestion are welcome, please and thank you.
            -Mc
            Radio Shack sells a few good products, but their caps don't come close to what you need.

My suggestion: Make a list of the electrolytic caps in this power supply (I count 7 that should be replaced. It is not necessary to replace the large 450 volt cap). On your list indicate the value of the cap, the voltage, the diameter and the height. To simplify things, you can simply indicate the maximum height allowable, and it may help to indicate which for which caps the diameter is critical (the three in the lower right corner of the third? picture).

Then you can follow this process and select the caps you need. I suggest posting the list and the selected caps BEFORE you finalize the order just in case you made a mistake. Speaking from experience, it is embarrassing when you order 25mm high caps and the cover is only 20 mm above the board. The total cost for the caps and shipping will run under $10 from Digikey PROVIDED you specify First Class Mail shipping.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
              Speaking from experience, it is embarrassing when you order 25mm high caps and the cover is only 20 mm above the board.
              been there done that..
              had to run my own LCD TV with the back cover off for a while bc. the caps i've ordered were a bit too tall (couple milimeters) to put the cover back on.. damnit..

Comment

LoL... excuse my ignorance, 6 of the caps are very obvious to me (the 3 CapXon's and the 2 green Taicon caps) But the seventh one I am assuming is the big black Taicon that is laying parallel with the board? And the "large 450 volt cap" is the big yellow square that reads High Voltage? I cannot read the specs on the large black one, so I assume that I will need to remove it first.

Comment

LoL... excuse my ignorance, 6 of the caps are very obvious to me (the 3 CapXon's and the 2 green Taicon caps) But the seventh one I am assuming is the big black Taicon that is laying parallel with the board? And the "large 450 volt cap" is the big yellow square that reads High Voltage? I cannot read the specs on the large black one, so I assume that I will need to remove it first.
                  Hello, not quite right
                  The big yellow square is a Transformer
                  You have the 4 caps in the bottom right corner
                  Plus the 2 green ones
                  Then there is a small cap (right next to the big black one that lays on it side), (its is at the top and to the right side of the big black one)
                  Eight caps in total
                  Usually the big black one is left alone, that leaves you with just the seven to replace

Comment

Thanks Bob, I was playing wheres Waldo for awhile there.

Comment

PlainBill, per your suggestion, I created a list and is as follows:
                      Max height is 20mm, per LCD PSU (x2) I need:
                      4x 470uf 25v; size: 8mm Diameter (critical size) x 16mm height
                      2x 1000uf 16v; size: 9mm Diameter x 20mm height (critical size)
                      1x 33uf 35v; size: 5mm Diameter x 10mm height

I was able to find the follow @ www.digikey.com and believe it to be the best choices for my project:
                      Q Part# Description Unit Price/ Price
                      8 P12389-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.43000 $3.44
                      4 P12366-ND CAP 1000UF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.59000 $2.36
                      3 P12925-ND CAP ELECT 33UF 35V FM RADIAL 0.16000 $0.48
                      1 WP35-ND SOLDERING IRON DIRECT PLUG 35W 49.0000 $49.00

I also reviewed some of the FAQs here and I am wondering if it is critical to use a 3 pronged/grounded iron, the one that I have currently is a really cheapo model that was given to me which i used to solder speaker wire connections. I definitely need to get some desoldering tools like a pump, wick or pick, and possibly some smaller gauged solder wire. In the order summary above I have added a 35w Weller iron and am wondering if this would be a worthy purchase, or would my cheapo 2nd hand (radio shack special) iron work? any suggestions or advise welcome, thanks in advance.
                      -Mc

Comment

sorry for double post, attempt to enable Thread Subscription.
                        Last edited by mctaurus13; 05-16-2010, 02:57 PM. Reason: attempt to enable Thread Subscription

Comment

PlainBill, per your suggestion, I created a list and is as follows:
                          Max height is 20mm, per LCD PSU (x2) I need:
                          4x 470uf 25v; size: 8mm Diameter (critical size) x 16mm height
                          2x 1000uf 16v; size: 9mm Diameter x 20mm height (critical size)
                          1x 33uf 35v; size: 5mm Diameter x 10mm height

I was able to find the follow @ www.digikey.com and believe it to be the best choices for my project:
                          Q Part# Description Unit Price/ Price
                          8 P12389-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.43000 $3.44
                          4 P12366-ND CAP 1000UF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.59000 $2.36
                          3 P12925-ND CAP ELECT 33UF 35V FM RADIAL 0.16000 $0.48
                          1 WP35-ND SOLDERING IRON DIRECT PLUG 35W 49.0000 $49.00

I also reviewed some of the FAQs here and I am wondering if it is critical to use a 3 pronged/grounded iron, the one that I have currently is a really cheapo model that was given to me which i used to solder speaker wire connections. I definitely need to get some desoldering tools like a pump, wick or pick, and possibly some smaller gauged solder wire. In the order summary above I have added a 35w Weller iron and am wondering if this would be a worthy purchase, or would my cheapo 2nd hand (radio shack special) iron work? any suggestions or advise welcome, thanks in advance.
                          -Mc
                          First, the good news. Assuming you checked the dimensions, those caps will work well.

There is a lot of discussion on the best soldering iron (as well as other test equipment). I make the following suggestion. If you use a tool every day as part of your job, the best available is probably a bargain. (The example that comes to mind is the power linemen shun bargain-basement insulating gloves).

If you are doing this sitting on a metal chair in a damp basement, spring for the grounded soldering iron. They might save your life. In your case, if you use sensible precautions, a grounded soldering iron is not necessary. However, is your cheap soldering iron up to the task? Will it melt the lead-free solder on most modern pc boards? Does it run so hot that the lands pop off the board?

For most of my recapping I rely on three tools. A 30 year old 3 wire Ungar 27 watt iron for the light work; a 60 watt $4.98 soldering iron from Fry's Electronics for the heavy power lands, and a dissecting pick I was issued nearly 45 years ago to clear the solder out of the holes.

PlainBill

Comment

So I ended up getting a new $20 iron from jameco.com (XYTRONIC SUPERPASE 258VL) which was recommend by another user on a different thread, and I took a part an old car audio amp and practiced my desoldering and soldering work on several capacitors. Got the new capacitors the next day and took a stab at it last night.
                            All went well, a little sloppy in my opinion but good enough I guess, because when I put it all back together this old LCD lite up like it was brand new. When I find some time I'll repeat the process on the other LCD that has the same issue.
                            Thank you all for your help and advise, I had fun learning a thing or two and took a chance at something I didn't know much about, and I saved a heap. And all of you to thanks.
                            -Mc
                            Attached Files

Comment

All went well, a little sloppy in my opinion but good enough I guess, because when I put it all back together this old LCD lite up like it was brand new.
                              Good job and congrats!

Comment

yup. you gotta watch out for those shit-xon caps. any time you see them, REPLACE THEM. had a bud with a maggie LCD TV, it blew the entire DC-DC converter out on his scalar module, he had to replace it.

Comment

Very informative gentlemen. This is my 2nd go around with this particular monitor, first time was on them. Now 3 years later the power craps out.

Had for 3 months then DVI port went, ran it VGA till that too went a month later. Fixed and working 24/7/365 for 3 years before this. So I really can't complain.

Once again guys thanks for the info!

Comment

$6.13 All is good to go! Thank you for all your hard work guys!!

Comment

Hey guys, having the same problem with my Sceptre x22wg Monitor... As far as I can tell, the caps are fine, but I am unsure where to go now??? I will post a few picks in case anyone see's something right off the bat... Should I just do the caps anyway because it is cheap, or hold off? Any help is appreciated, I have a digital multimeter, a Soldering gun, etc, SO my resources are limited, but I have a couple things... HELP PLEASE !!!!

Thanks in advance guys...

-R

Comment

Pictures of PSU for my Sceptre x22wg Monitor, YOU SEE ANY PROBLEMS???

-R
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X