Solarized picture on Samsung UN65ES8000F TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solarized picture on Samsung UN65ES8000F TV

Hi gents. My Samsung UN65ES8000F TV has been great until just about 2 weeks ago, the pictures on TV became solarized. My wife called a serviceman and he thinks it's the T-Con board that needs to be replaced and wants $400 for parts and labor. I took it on myself to go online and read more about the problem and it appears most of the problem is due to T-con board. In my case, when I pull up the menu, it also appears to be solarized and not clear thus this leads me to think the problem is indeed the T-con board.

I watched lots of youtubes and most of them mentioned of replacing a cheap AS15 IC. I removed my T-con board out from the TV but I don't see this chip anywhere. Unfortunately I see that shopjimmy is out of this board and I'm just wondering if any gurus on this forum would please help me in locating what needs to be replaced on this T-con board?

I have included a picture of this T-con board

Thanks so much in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Solarized picture on Samsung UN65ES8000F TV

look under heatsink?

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
      look under heatsink?
      With heatsink removed
      Attached Files

Comment

Possibly u501. Can't find datasheet for it
        I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Thank you dskall. u501 has AUO-G1422 on one line, second line has 1240 997GL 2H written on it. Would that help?

Comment

See no datasheet for it or cheap replacement board

Comment

First of all: always upload a picture of the faulty image, who knows if you understand "solarization"?
              second: even if we point you at the right chip to replace, are you able to do it?
              watch near J1 connector, there are VG1-VG14 testpoints, with the dmm on continuity check if it sounds between some of them and RN602-RN604 (resistor packs) and between them and U501 pins.. if yes u501 is the gamma ic (i say quite sure), and you can search for a replacement, then you contact a cell telephone repairer and you tell him "i have a X-pin QFN ic to replace, can you do the job for me?"
              PS: X=number of pins..
              Last edited by Davi.p; 03-27-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Davi.p Thanks for the post and my apologies. I thought of taking the picture but I was eager to get my hands on the T-con board so disassembled the TV without taking a picture prior. Anyway, I put the T-con board back and took some pictures for you to see. Comparing of what were posted on the internet, I would think the picture is solarized.

in any case, please be patient with me as I don't know much about electronics but I do know how to solder, however. I do admit that soldering the IC is a little challenging especially with the U501 being so small but I'm up to the challenge. I think I can do it.

I see the VG1-VG14 test points and the resistor packs that you mentioned. I have taken a closer picture of the area for you to see.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is spreadsheet you can plug your voltages into and tell you if T-con is good
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks solarized all right....Replace the T-CON Bd would be my first attempt.

Comment

Is the picture solarize in the menu from TV?

Comment

@dskall. thank you for posting the spreadsheet. Though I don't totally understand it but I will look into it to understand and will test the board within few days.

@rickou. Yes, the menu is solarized as well. I am hoping it's the T-con and not LCD panel. T-Con would be the cheaper fix.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Go to input tab in column B put in your VG1-14 voltages replacing the ones that are there. Enter 14 in how many. Go to next tab and see if it passed.

Comment

There is reference to AUO-G1422 as a gamma buffer. They look to be available from Aliexpress for a couple of dollars delivered. Might be worth trying to replace the IC before purchasing a whole tcon ?

Comment

Hi nartac, sorry but my first sentence was to say "next time do pictures of screen", i know is not easy to handle a 65 inches, you could link another tv's pictures of fault, second thing, i don't knew Tom Selleck has white hairs... i joke.. almost surely is the gamma chip since the past behaviour of AUO Panels, but, which is the gamma chip? For this i said to you that test.. that you don't have done ("with the dmm on continuity check if it sounds between some of them and RN602-RN604 (resistor packs) and between resistors and U501 pins.. if yes u501 is the gamma ic ") but now if you don't have time to do this test i suggest you to buy a new u501 chip and try... since i think this type of tcon is very expensive and mostly a new chip guarantees a longer life than an used one..
                              Last edited by Davi.p; 03-30-2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I do apologize work has put me off from continuing on diagnosing the problem.

@dskall. I measured VG1-14 and I got the following readings:

VG1: 13.7
                                VG2: 1.4
                                VG3: 3.8
                                VG4: 6.9
                                VG5: 11.4
                                VG6: 6.4
                                VG7: 1.8
                                VG8: 1.3
                                VG9: 6.4
                                VG10: 4.8
                                VG11: 3.8
                                VG12: 2.2
                                VG13: 0.4
                                VG14: 0.3

Is it safe to say that this board failed?

Comment

Incidentally, I went on Ebay and saw a person selling the same board but defective for $3.25 shipped. I went ahead and order it and just received it today. Upon installing, I got the picture as attached. Half of the screen is clear while the other half has vertical lines. I went ahead and measured VG1-14 voltages and got:

VG1: 14.8
                                  VG2: 14.6
                                  VG3: 12.9
                                  VG4: 11.4
                                  VG5: 10.3
                                  VG6: 8.7
                                  VG7: 7.8
                                  VG8: 7.2
                                  VG9: 6.3
                                  VG10: 4.8
                                  VG11: 3.8
                                  VG12: 2.2
                                  VG13: 0.4
                                  VG14: 0.3

Is this board easier to fix? I suspect the problem is not the gamma ic?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know why to spend money on a defective board, ok you don't know me but the defect is very very common, IS THE GAMMA CHIP... instead i don't know well the defect on the last picture, very less common.. anyway it seems it has good gamma values so a good gamma chip, anyway i don't suggest you to grab it for your old board 'cause a new chip is cheap and more long lasting..

Comment

Davi.p. Thanks again for your expert advice. You are right that due to my lack of knowledge of electronics, I purchased the defective board because mainly to hopefully reuse the "good" gamma ic but you have pointed out that even if I can use that chip, it's not going to last as long as a new gamma ic and that makes total sense.

could you possibly point out to me a link to the chip that I need? Thank so much for your time.

Comment

Wait... i have some bad feelings about it... i've noticed that spot of paint on it.. this says usualy that is a programmed chip, then a replacement one is not good as it is virgin and is difficult to program (need probably a custom software), i search for datasheet and then i let you know...

EDIT: no datsheet, but i too have bad news for you... 3 things let me understand that is a programmed chip, 1 the paint, 2 it has too few pins, 3 i see 2 testpoints called SDA, SCL and since it has a i2c communication is a programmed chip. So the only chances is to: grab the chip from the other board (ooh.. now it comes that you are right... :-), buy a new (used or not used board)...
                                        Last edited by Davi.p; 04-01-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X