Westinghouse VR-4085DF wont power on & no lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse VR-4085DF wont power on & no lights

Ok yup that's the one with no continuity.
    Ebay has 5 of them for like $5.50 Est Delivery is June 7
    Is there something I can use to jump it to test ????
    Thank you for helping with this

The million dollar question is what could have caused it to blow ?

Comment

ok if its just a fuse could I use one of these to see if the power supply comes back to life ????
      Would you keep it 5amp or go a bit higher ?

RadioShack 5.0A 250V Fast-Acting 1¼x¼" Glass Fuse (4-Pack) or this
      RadioShack 5.0A 250V 5x20mm Slow-Blow Glass Fuse
      Last edited by hackerjoe; 05-27-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

There may be shorted out parts that needed to be checked, such as the bridge rectifier, the power MOSFETs mounted on the heatsinks, etc. It is SLO-BLO fuse.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I found some 5amp 250volt glass fuses in my toolbox and swapped out the bad fuse and it popped instantly.
          The power supply board had nothing connected to it just power in.
          So like you said there is definitely something shorted...
          I suspect mosfets are the cause.....
          Q4, Q1 and is D3 one as well?

Do the power mosfets have to be removed from the board to test them ?
          Also at this point is just easier to try and find a power supply ?
          I hate to dump $50 or more in a tv that may still not work after replacing the power supply?

I found one for $42 w/ shipping included I'm going to give it a try.
          Thank you for all your help.
          Last edited by hackerjoe; 05-27-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Get your multimeter out of the toolbox. You don't need the fuse in place to carry out some very basic checks.
            Using you multimeter set to diode mode, check across the legs of all the Mosfets & diodes and see if any of them return 0 ohms or close to 0 ohms and report back your findings
            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
              I would expect that the OP would have test simple stuff like fuse already, but may be not.
              Ive had this a few times now people seem to reconise a glass fuse etc and you can see if its good or blown a lot of the time so they can spot it and test it easily with these cylindrical type a lot of people i dont think have saw these before but once i point the marking out on the pcb to them etc they can see themselves its a type of fuse. But yes now we have found it blown more testing of parts required and maybe a dim bulb tester needs used to save fuses blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                Ive had this a few times now people seem to reconise a glass fuse etc and you can see if its good or blown a lot of the time so they can spot it and test it easily with these cylindrical type a lot of people i dont think have saw these before but once i point the marking out on the pcb to them etc they can see themselves its a type of fuse. But yes now we have found it blown more testing of parts required and maybe a dim bulb tester needs used to save fuses blowing.
                When I first checked the Power supply for input power I did find it and even went as far as cutting of the heat shrink off it.
                I didn't know what it was and therefore I didn't know to test for continuity across it.
                I don't have much experience with electronic components other than say resistors and some capacitors.
                I do my best to figure stuff out then turn to YouTube then forums if I cant find any info on YouTube.
                I greatly appreciate everyone's help here.
                I did google testing mosfets last night and know now how to do that but wasn't sure if they had to be removed from the circuit...
                I was forced to sell my toolbox years ago filled with all my Automotive tools and Diagnostic equipment I accumulated over 20 years as a Ford mechanic and currently using a free but crappy Harbor Freight DVOM it does what its supposed to but is limited...

One question is what is D3 on the board?
                Is it a Mosfet or just plain transistor ? It only has 2 leads ? How do you test it ? Continuity?
                Last edited by hackerjoe; 05-28-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

D usually means a diode test it in diode mode with leads one way and then the other and note the readings the mosfets etc can all be tested in circuit at first any odd readings i usually remove and retest but test the bridge rectifier first as these usually fail short circuit anything your stck on just ask and we will try too advise you.

Comment

D usually means a diode test it in diode mode with leads one way and then the other and note the readings the mosfets etc can all be tested in circuit at first any odd readings i usually remove and retest but test the bridge rectifier first as these usually fail short circuit anything your stck on just ask and we will try too advise you.
                    You're correct !
                    I removed the diode from the board and the diode tested ok.
                    Nothing one way and continuity the other.
                    I removed the 2 mosfets Q4, Q1 and one of them is bad it didn't pass the test I found a quick and dirty mosfets test on YouTube.
                    Could 1 bad mosfets be causing the fuse to blow ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

yes a shoted mosfet can did you test the bridge rectifier too?
                      try re testing both of those and use this method and post the readings for us

Mosfets
                      ---------

If you have a manual range multimeter, set it to 200 ohms (two hundred). You can test a mosfet (Q, IC designation) "in circuit" by (power off and unplugged)

a) black on pin 1- red on pin 2 - record ohms
                      b) black on pin 1- red on pin 3 - record ohms
                      c) black on pin 2- red on pin 3 - record ohms
                      Last edited by vinceroger69; 05-28-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

No I haven't I have to google how to test one.
                        That's the last one on the heatsink correct ?
                        Removing it from the board to test it and will post results.
                        Last edited by hackerjoe; 05-28-2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hackerjoe View Post
                          No I haven't I have to google how to test one.
                          That's the last one on the heatsink correct ?
                          yes thats the one the oblong 4 pins usually and see me edit too above post
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkT6hF0O3E
                          Last edited by vinceroger69; 05-28-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

try re testing both of those and use this method and post the readings for us

Mosfets
                            ---------

If you have a manual range multimeter, set it to 200 ohms (two hundred). You can test a mosfet (Q, IC designation) "in circuit" by (power off and unplugged)

a) black on pin 1- red on pin 2 - record ohms
                            b) black on pin 1- red on pin 3 - record ohms
                            c) black on pin 2- red on pin 3 - record ohms
                            Of the board mosfet
                            a) black on pin 1- red on pin 2 - 120
                            b) black on pin 1- red on pin 3 - 120
                            c) black on pin 2- red on pin 3 - 002
                            Mosfet I think is good on board test
                            all 3 test are open no readings - off the board I passed quick and dirty YouTube Test
                            Last edited by hackerjoe; 05-28-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

yes thats the one the oblong 4 pins usually and see me edit too above post
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkT6hF0O3E
                              Ok the bridge rectifier passes that test you sent me on youtube
                              So it looks like definitely a bad mosfets so far
                              Now to find a cheap one and try it along with a fuse.

Comment

budm may have some ideas of what parts if any in that circuit which may also of caused that mosfet to blow so wait till budm has a quick look at these results just incase theres more parts too order.

Comment

Can you post some pictures of the power supply. What numbers are on the board eg BN44-xxxxxxx

Ignore, I can see them now in the earlier post.
                                  Last edited by dick_barton; 05-29-2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

What is the part number of the IC marked IC1 on the underside of the board?

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                                      What is the part number of the IC marked IC1 on the underside of the board?
                                      ok this is the best photo I can get of that chip
                                      There is shellac or something on it so its hard to get a clear shot.
                                      I think its upside down, I am not sure

OK it looks like L6562A 7/EZ012
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by hackerjoe; 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

It looks like 6562x. Can't make out the last number. Can you scrape off the shellac carefully. I'm thinking it may be the IC that controls the blown mosfet so trying to find data on it.
                                        Last edited by dick_barton; 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                                          It looks like 6562x. Can't make out the last number. Can you scape off the shellac carefully. I'm thinking it may be the IC that controls the blown mosfet so trying to find data on it.
                                          I did scrape it but I don't have a strong enough magnifying glass.
                                          It looks like L6562a

Comment

Working...
                                          X