Samsung Plasma TV PN60E7000FFXZA No Standby Voltage BN44-00514A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Plasma TV PN60E7000FFXZA No Standby Voltage BN44-00514A

Hi everyone, new member here and I'm looking for some assistance with my 60" Samsung Plasma TV. TV was purchased Dec 2012 and the only issue since then was a malfunctioning wi-fi module which I replaced without issue. Just recently, my TV stopped powering up. No response from the remote or the power button. I do not get a standby light either.

I have an electrical engineering background and specialize in automated test equipment. I'm not too familiar with TV repair though. I started some basic troubleshooting with a fluke dmm and it appears my power supply, part number BN44-00514A (P60SW_CPN) is the culprit. A replacement is available from Samsung for $200, but I'd like to attempt to repair it myself first.

I opened up the chassis and probed around on the power supply. My power cable is ok, I get 120Vac at the input terminals. I checked all pins at the two output connectors for the marked DC voltages but I get roughly 0Vdc at all pins including standby. Both fuses on the board are intact and have voltage across both sides. I removed the checked carefully for visual damage of all capacitors, resistors, diodes, FETs, etc but I could not find any swelling or discoloration. I looked closely for cold solder joints but did not see any visible cracks. All capacitors were verified with the dmm to be free of shorts and capacitance was verified on all of the ones with a visible printed rating. They all read some constant value of capacitance though.

I'm guessing that I need to focus on the standby voltage circuit, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I haven't located a schematic for the board and its not easy to trace back from the output pin as it branches off from several areas.

I'll follow up with some additional troubleshooting findings and photos but I could really use some suggestions on what to look for. I have the power supply removed from the TV and I can test as required. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by m3amigos; 09-18-2015, 08:13 PM.

Re: Samsung Plasma TV PN60E7000FFXZA No Standby Voltage BN44-00514A

I checked all of the diodes and out of all of them, one may be questionable. DQ804, on the cold side, near the lower middle section, in reference to my pics. It measures a bias voltage in both directions in circuit 0.2V Fwd and 1.7V Reverse. All others read approx .5V Fwd and INF Reverse. From what I can see on the component, it has SR10 printed on the side. Could this be the culprit? How should I proceed?

Comment

I also noticed that the D5.3V pin on the output connectors only has 33 ohms wrt Ground. Is this normal? No other shorts to ground that I can see so far.

Comment

Wrong post sorry.
        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Well, by a stroke of luck, I resoldered a few of the FET connections, namely QS802 and QS804 near the center of the board where it flexes the most. There must have been a few bad solder joints since afterwards the standby voltage came back. I put the board back in the TV and viola, its back in action. It's been on for a few hours, we'll see how it holds up.

Comment

Good job. As you can see, there are many power device and transformer legs soldering holes with rivets, those are known for having poor soldering joints, they should all be touched up with solders.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I have a similar issue, with almost the same tv. Mine is the PN64E7000, and my part number for the power supply board is BN44-00516A. My tv does seem to turn on, but remains in stand by.

My tv clicks on, but appears to be in standby mode. I don't believe it is the y or x boards that is the issue. I took off the power supply board and one of the FET connections QS802 near the center of the board looks like it was burned out, as some of the soldering is gone and there are some black marks/remnants of a blow out.

I have no technical background in electrical repair, I got to this point by watching youtube videos and reading forums, but have successfully repaired phones and computers doing the same thing . Do you think soldering QS802 would do the trick for me like it did for you? I don't have a soldering kit but would purchase one if it would fix the issue. Otherwise I am just considering buying a new power board. What would you suggest? Please see the two pictures I attached of the power board, and a close up of the QS802 connection.
              Attached Files

Comment

If you are lucky,re soldering that and all other components that are on a heatsink,it will be fixed.
                Due to this bad solder joint,they do self destruct.So,I would resolder that first and cross fingers. A new power supply is hard to get for these as they all seem to fail.
                You can however get repair kits,but they will take some solder skill to install.
                Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

hello i have same problem with power supply. I see that DS808 and DS810 are also blown up. Do you know what type of diodes are this and were can i find them. Do you know part number?

Comment

Repair kits are available

http://www.tvtechparts.com/BN44-0051...lure_b_20.html
                    Last edited by dick_barton; 08-22-2016, 03:44 PM.
                    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

It's been a year since my prior issue and I'm back to having frequent recurrences of the same issue. I resoldered all of the major components on the board, fets, xformers, caps etc. Problem is still occuring.

I left the cover off the tv, and when it shut off i checked various components for overheating. the heatshields for the fets were pretty warm, but the large xformer with the silver top was blazing hot. I put a fan behind the tv, and within. afew mins everything cooled off and was working again. i left the fan on and the tv has been running for several hours.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problems?

I'm considering buying a new power supply board from samsung, its $216 with shipping. what do you guys think.

Comment

To clarify, the tv shuts off after 30-60 minutes of use. it clicks a few times then the standby light blinks continuously.

Comment

After some troubleshooting, i think the issue is a bad relay, the black one near the input power. when the tv shuts down it clicks 5 times then the standby led starts blinking. during one of the clicking cycles, i whacked it good with my finger and the tv came back on and has stayed on for the past two nights. i've ordered a replacement from mouser, PN: lkq1af-5v-tv8 and we'll see if it does the trick.

Comment

Also found the service manual at samsung parts for $12 plus shipping, so that should really help with future issues.

Comment

Was wondering if that $12.00 Samsung manual had schematics, voltages, and part numbers in it. Or is it just a trouble shooting guide.

Comment

The manual did not contain any schematics unfortunately, just basic troubleshooting and board part numbers. I'd be willing to sell my copy cheap if anyone is interested, PM me.

I couldn't figure out my issue in the end. I replaced all the parts from the shop jimmy kit then my power supply was completely dead. Ended up ordering a new power supply for about $200 and it's back up and running. It did take 2 months to deliver since it was on back order.

Comment

Next time I'm buying a Visio!

Comment

Originally posted by m3amigos View Post
                                    I replaced all the parts from the shop jimmy kit then my power supply was completely dead.
                                    Wish you would have said that,one of the IC's in the kit you do NOT want to replace,cause its a blank chip that needs to be programmed,but the old one is fine. You lose 5v standby with the new chip,what results in a mainboard that doesn't get power to even try and start.
                                    Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

I actually only replaced the throughole capacitors and mosfets from the kit, I do recall reading about one of the components needing programming and I believe I omitted it. It was one of the surface mount ICs, correct? Do you know which part it is to confirm?

I may have damaged one of the components or the board while soldering causing the final failure, its hard to troubleshoot without schematics. Could have also been a dead part, but at this point I've spent more time on it than its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by martino View Post
                                        Wish you would have said that,one of the IC's in the kit you do NOT want to replace,cause its a blank chip that needs to be programmed,but the old one is fine. You lose 5v standby with the new chip,what results in a mainboard that doesn't get power to even try and start.
                                        So I have this issue. The chip you are referring to must be MCV14A. I am trying to reprogram a new one but can't seem to read the old chip to get the program. You need a special Programmer just for this chip so I bought a QL-2006. So far I can not copy the information from the damaged chip. I have 2 BN44-00514A Power Boards, I have repaired them but this chip needs to be programmed for them to work. If any one has the file can they post it here?

Comment

Working...
                                        X