Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-52W5150 display issue

Hi,

First post here, but have read a lot over the years. I like to tinker with electronics but am by no means a professional!!! I thank you for any help or even at least reading this.

I recently picked up a Sony KDL-52W5150 LCD TV made in 2009. I got it to scrounge parts from mainly, but being the display isn't physically broken, if I can repair something, I like to try first. I will try to add pics below if the forum lets me; note that the picture does not look snowy, that is mainly from my iphone camera and low light.

It powers up ok, back light comes on fine and stays on, but for a minute or so after just turning it on, the screen stays blank, just back lights on. Then after a moment you can see some faint vertical lines showing up and some text, such as the channel it is on, “no signal”, and cable TV info, however, it remains fairly faint and somewhat hard to read, but it's there.

If you change the channel the reading changes, but it is a slow change and gradually fades from character to character. If I hit the home button on the side it brings up some sort of menu that is mainly red / square boxes (doesn't look at all normal), and if I keep fiddling with buttons it changes a bit and asks for other commands which I can't complete as I can't see what I'm doing. Again even the menu type screens look “bad”.

I think the sound is working as I hear sound when pressing the input / home button that sound like normal button / menu beeps, but not certain.

So I believe the main board and power supply are working ok. I checked the low voltages on the PS and they seemed within tolerance.

I'm leaning towards a problem with the T-CON, or LCD panel itself, though I don't know enough to rule out a main board problem. I can flex the panel and press around on the tab areas and it doesn't change anything, but wouldn't rule out the panel either. I've only had one other TV with a bad tab and it was a Toshiba, that one you can hold the tab in the right spot and it works perfect, making it stay there is another story, lol; haven't had the heart to junk that one yet as it works perfect otherwise.

I really do not want to throw money at problems I can't confirm, but might be willing to buy a t-CON for this Sony if that is a possible fix. I've pulled the T-CON already and re-seated the cables with no change.

Any thoughts on this is a appreciated! I am no pro and know little about TV's, most TV's / monitors I've run into were bad caps which is easy to fix, lol.

Thank you.

Re: Sony KDL-52W5150 display issue

Looking at the Sony TCON troubleshooting PDF posted on this forum… I loosened the LVDS connector at the TCON board looking for flashes, patterns / response. Lightly touching the pins while wiggling the connector I “occasionally”, meaning not very often but did see it, get some display response, lines / quick flashes and a bright screen… but much of the time I can’t get it to do anything, have to rapidly move the connector around and again, only on occasion.

I went ahead and hooked up the tuner and the sound works fine and definitely shows on the display. Can make out some text but that's about it; there is quite a delay for images to fade in / out so it has a slow response. Some more pictures with the signal input below.

I’m really not sure if this leads to a bad panel or not, really don’t know. This area of TV troubleshooting is new to me.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Would hate to part it out and throw a good screen in the trash if it would be as simple as swapping the TCON board…

I can post board photos if needed, but didn't think that was necessary yet...

Thanks.

Comment

I'm afraid this looks like a bad panel to me.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        I'm afraid this looks like a bad panel to me.
        Hi tom66

Thanks for the response. I have been leaning towards a bad panel from researching this, so not surprising, just didn't want to jump to conclusions when my knowledge is very limited on these. Sad as it is a nice looking TV, not that I watch TV much these days; also sad the small number of years some of these things last, I feel bad for the people that buy this stuff new.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you're willing to remove the bezel and frame, try flexing the display slightly by each corner . That got my LCD panel to work temporarily. Maintaining the 'flex' is the next challenge.

Comment

Working...
          X