Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100, fades to white/blown out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100, fades to white/blown out

So I'm posting/troubleshooting on behalf of my friend, who is not real technically inclined.

He's got a Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100, it fades to almost pure white after a few minutes. After doing some searching here, it appears as if the most likely culprit is the TCON board, with the AS15 chip being at the core of a lot of these issues. Problem is, I'm not 100% positive (although pretty sure) that this is the case here.

Per some of the other threads of folks having similar issues, I opened up the case, and looked for pads for testing to grab some readings. On the multimeter, however, using the case as a ground, every one of the pads was reading ~0.92 - 0.97 amps. I may be reading from the wrong spot, but didn't see anywhere else that matched up remotely similarly to other threads I'd read.

On the attached pictures, I took reading from both sets of AT1 - AT24, and they all measured in that same range.

I checked the other boards inside, saw no signs of bulging or popped capacitors.

A replacement TCON board is only ~50 (I'd have to go used on eBay, as ShopJimmy is out of stock). The TCON board is 46NN_MB4C6LV0.6, with the partial part number sticker being 02642.

So basically, what I'm asking, is the TCON board the most likely culprit here? Any way I can be sure before spending the $50 on a new board? Am I trying to get readings from the proper spot?

Thanks, from what I've read in other threads, there are a ton of super helpful people here, and I appreciate your time.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100, fades to white/blown out

"On the multimeter, however, using the case as a ground, every one of the pads was reading ~0.92 - 0.97 amps." I think you should read your meter user manual on how to use your meter to measure DC Voltages.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I swear I'm not an idiot, it's just been a long day. I meant volts, it was set the DC 20v setting, and read between 0.92 and 0.97.

Comment

I say just go ahead and replace the T-CON board. If you are you able to replace the AS15 IC then try that. It will be a lot cheaper. However, if you are not skilful enough to do proper replacement, buy the board that is readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
          I say just go ahead and replace the T-CON board. If you are you able to replace the AS15 IC then try that. It will be a lot cheaper. However, if you are not skilful enough to do proper replacement, buy the board that is readily available.

But from the description, it looks like the tcon board? Want to make sure I'm not mistaken as to the cause?

Comment

What voltage does F1 read when tv is on?

Comment

if it had an AS15 IC I would replace it but since these boards don't have one and it's incorporated into the main processor that says Sony on it unfortunately there is no repair as those are proprietary IC's.
              Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicSmoke View Post
                What voltage does F1 read when tv is on?
                It reads -11.7 on both ends.

Should I go ahead with a TCON replacement?

Comment

bump?

Comment

Does the screen freeze up when it fades to white?

Comment

Nope, no freeze, just fades to almost complete white, you can still see that there's stuff happening, it's just too blown out to be watchable.

Comment

I would say tcon then personally

Comment

So my friend replaced his TCON board, and well, it's not fading to white anymore, but this is what we've got now, and I'm at a loss.

Suggestions?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I would say either you got a bunk tcon board or its a bad panel. Looks more like a panel failure to me unfortunately. I've seen this problem before. there's always the slight possibility that when the panel first failed it destroyed the original t-con board and now that the problem has subsided the other Tcon board is trying to drive that part of the panel that's failed

Comment

Working...
                            X