Panasonic TC-P46X3 14 Blink Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P46X3 14 Blink Code

Hello again. First off, thank you for all of the valuable information that this forum makes available to anyone that is willing to do the research. I've repaired a dozen TV's since last year and am having a great time.
    Hoping for a little help with the Panasonic TV that I'm working on now.

The TV is a 2011 TC-P46X3. It shut off by itself and won't power up.
    There is a solid red light on the front of the TV when the power button is pressed.
    When the power button is pressed again, it will give a 14 blink code
    I've come across the service manual and a schematic of the power supply board.
    A you tube video points me to a bad power supply but looking at the schematic, there is a chance that another board is bad causing a relay to drop power.
    When power is applied, there is a series of relay clicking. Looking at the schematic, I think maybe there is an error detected that is causing a relay to drop power to the main converter.
    I do have 5V standby power.
    Humbly asking for any advice that will help me avoid purchasing costly parts that I don't need.
    Attached Files

Re: Panasonic TC-P46X3 14 Blink Code

Shopjimmy video by chance? 14 blink or locked standby, i would start checking for shorted vsus on either sc board or ss

Comment

Yes. It was a shop jimmy YouTube video. My system looks a little different. I think I have a bad board that is sending feedback to drop the power that feeds out of the power supply. I don't understand how the feedback works or how to rule out any of the other boards.

Comment

You definitely have a bad board. most likely SC board, not A or P

Disconnect the SC2 (power lead), if you get 7 blink instead of locked or 14 blink then SC is bad although if you have a multimeter check the SC2 connector at the Sc board and see if shorted. do not reconnect the p2 - Sc 2 lead after you power cycle the Tv, let it sit for 5 or so other wise there is 200v still there and it will arc , maybe do some damage

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
          You definitely have a bad board. most likely SC board, not A or P

Disconnect the SC2 (power lead), if you get 7 blink instead of locked or 14 blink then SC is bad although if you have a multimeter check the SC2 connector at the Sc board and see if shorted. do not reconnect the p2 - Sc 2 lead after you power cycle the Tv, let it sit for 5 or so other wise there is 200v still there and it will arc , maybe do some damage
          Thank you very much for the help. Sorry if these are dumb questions but this is my first Panasonic and truthfully, I'm more of a mechanical type person.

I'm using a page out of the service manual to identify the boards.
          The SC2 power lead.. Is this the SN board? The P2 power lead feeds this board so I'm thinking this is the one that you wanted me to check. When disconnecting this power lead, I'm still getting 14 blinks. When checking for a short across the power connector on this board it tests as an open circuit.

I've tried the same test with the SS board and once again...14 blinks

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a noob.
          I'm going to keep messing around with it. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

Tw2005 I've found a couple of posts that you were involved with that talk about the 14 blink code. You attached a very good service manual that I've been reading. I wish I would have found it sooner.
            This model TC-P46X3 doesn't have a Sc board. The SC, SU, and SD boards are replaced with the SN board in this tv.
            Disconnecting the SN or the SS board doesn't change anything. Still getting 14 blinks.
            Looking at slide 83 and slide 85 on the 2011 manual that you posted, points me directly to the P board.
            I'd really like you opinion before I purchase this board if you're willing to weigh in.
            Thanks again

Comment

You may have me on this one. try disconnecting

SN2,SN3,SS11,p35, 3 white ribbons on the A board A23,A33,A34.

Then try and turn it on and see if still 14 blinks. They don't mention 14 blinks in the manual, stops at 13 but does not mean it can't go 14, double check the count just in case.

same rules, let it sit don't reconnect after a power cycle especially p35.

If still bad, leave all those off and will have to see if the F15V line is shorted or what voltages are present.

so use to reading shorted Sc board for 14 blinks, this may be a real one.

Comment

Ok. After removing the cables that you listed, there are no blink codes. The led lights up red when I press the power button and then turns off with no blink code when the power button is pressed again.

Does this confirm the power supply is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV View Post
                  Ok. After removing the cables that you listed, there are no blink codes. The led lights up red when I press the power button and then turns off with no blink code when the power button is pressed again.

Does this confirm the power supply is the problem?
                  No, I think it is pointing back to SN board. If you have a meter that can measure 220v, at the PSu do this again and back probe at the PSu either P2 or P11 and verify vsus voltage is present. If so then P and A are ok.

Assuming that is the case, after turning off and letting the voltages bleed down, re connect everything except leave off SN3, SN2 and Sn20.

power on and see if you get any blink code other than 14. may be 6,7 or 8 not sure.

If this happens, power off, connect SN20 and try again.

If 14 occurs after Sn20, then stop , if not hen let voltage drop off and then do sn2,sn3. I expect by then it should be back to 14 and that would suggest SN board.

If 14 comes back as soon you start connecting to the Sn then I believe it's the Sn board.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. I won't be able to check it out again until tomorrow unfortunately. Been completely slammed with work.

Let me ask you this question if I may...
                    Reading through the manuals, this is where I'm at...

Pin 1 on at the P6 connector receives a 3.2v signal from the A board if everything is good to go. I do have 3.2v to Pin 1 when I press the power button. If I'm correct, this tells me that the A-board has found no faults in the other boards and has processed the signal back to the P-board to power up the panel.

I believe the 3.2v signal goes to the IC that sends a signal to relays to provide voltage to the 15v circuit. I'm missing the 15V but do have a good standby circuit.
                    I'm wondering if this is a bad IC on the P board.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. I won't be able to check it out again until tomorrow unfortunately. Been completely slammed with work.

Let me ask you this question if I may...
                      Reading through the manuals, this is where I'm at...

Pin 1 on at the P6 connector receives a 3.2v signal from the A board if everything is good to go. I do have 3.2v to Pin 1 when I press the power button. If I'm correct, this tells me that the A-board has found no faults in the other boards and has processed the signal back to the P-board to power up the panel.

I believe the 3.2v signal goes to the IC that sends a signal to relays to provide voltage to the 15v circuit. I'm missing the 15V but do have a good standby circuit.
                      I'm wondering if this is a bad IC on the P board.
                      is the 15 v missing at that last test with no blinks?

I have to get going for work but the way I'm looking at this is with just the A board and p, you get no blinks, before you had 14. I'd redo that test and see if the TV is on and Vsus is at those connectors. if it is then the TV is on and the fault is elsewhere.

Comment

Ok. Got a chance to look at this after all. Here are my findings

With just the A and P board, I do have 15V. VSUS is 188V at P2 and P11 Should be 220?) No blinks

Isolate the SN board... No 15V, No VSUS voltage and 14 blink code continues

Isolate the SS board, I do have 15V and have 188V at P2 and P11. Blink code changes to 6 blinks

So.... Assuming that 188V is ok at P2 and P11.....Bad SS board???

Comment

Strange fault. 188V sounds right for VSUS. Have you measured P5V at SC20 and SC22 yet?

Comment

With just the A and P board, I do have 15V. VSUS is 188V at P2 and P11 Should be 220?) No blinks

Isolate the SS board, I do have 15V and have 188V at P2 and P11. Blink code changes to 6 blinks

I would have thought vsus would be over 200v but we'll ignore that at the moment. Bad SS? could be. isolate the SS , If you can test SS11 for resistance and / or for short cct / low resistance. A dead short on Vsus can do this although more common for the SC but shorted at the SS would do the same I suspect.

Don't run it with just SS11 removed just in case something on the SS is bad since SS3 connects to the SN board and may blow something on the SN. Just check resistance SS11 , vsus - gnd and 15v to gnd.

you did originally say
                            "I've tried the same test with the SS board and once again...14 blinks"

"Disconnecting the SN or the SS board doesn't change anything. Still getting 14 blinks. "

So it would be handy to understand what was different this time?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tw2005; 01-15-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                              Strange fault. 188V sounds right for VSUS. Have you measured P5V at SC20 and SC22 yet?
                              confirmed. Vsus LO 189, high 196, pg62 in service manual

Comment

Let me recheck this when I get home tonight. Reading through this, I may have an error in the way I reported the findings.

Either way, safe to say we've ruled out the A and P boards. I probably would have bought a P board without your help. Thanks again.

I'll get back to you later today with better details.

Comment

I've retested and here are the results

* Removed cables SN2, SN3,SS11,P35,A23,A33,A34 - No blinks, 15V and VSUS is 188.2V

* Removed cables SN3, SN2, SN20. Everything else plugged in - 14 blinks, No VSUS and no 15V

* With just SS3 & SS11 removed - There is voltage to VSUS and 15V is present but after 30 seconds or so, the relay clicks and voltage drops out. There is a few sparkles on the screen. After the voltage drops, an 8 blink code begins.

* Check resistance SS11 , vsus - gnd and 15v to gnd. - .4ohms. Didn't detect a short at either point

So it would be handy to understand what was different this time?
                                  Original test was done by removing just the power leads, P2 and then P11. Last testing was done by completely isolating the board.

Don't run it with just SS11 removed just in case something on the SS is bad since SS3 connects to the SN board and may blow something on the SN.
                                  Original test was done with just P11 removed. Hope I didn't damage the SN board

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                                    This is the X series TV. The SC, SU and SD boards are replaced with a single "SN" board.

Not sure if the SN board has the same 5V and 15V test points as the SC boards on the other models.

Comment

I've retested and here are the results

* Removed cables SN3, SN2, SN20. Everything else plugged in - 14 blinks, No VSUS and no 15V
                                      Just a little clarification on this one

Here is the sequence that the system goes through as it goes to the 14 blink code

1. Plug in the TV. There is a series of relay clicks. Led on the front of the TV is solid red (locked mode)

2. Press power button - Unresponsive

3. Hold power button for 5 seconds - 14 blink code begins and repeats itself

Comment

* Check resistance SS11 , vsus - gnd and 15v to gnd. - .4ohms. Didn't detect a short at either point
                                        You're saying that you're getting a resistance of 0.4ohms when measuring between VSUS - GND and between P15V - GND, but can't detect a short. That does not make sense because if you're measuring those resistance, then there is a short

Comment

Working...
                                        X