Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent Vertical lines on Sony Bravia KDL-32S5100

Hi All,

I've got an issue that I just cannot seem to find an answer to anywhere else. I have a 32in Bravia that has recently (~1 month) developed some strange transparent vertical lines. At first they only showed up on dark backgrounds, then after a few days they disappeared completely. Now, about 4 or 5 days ago they came back, and this time they are pretty much always visible to some extent, but especially on grey/dark and white backgrounds. I will try to get some pictures up later.

To try to describe the lines a little better since they are hard to see in pictures, they are all exactly the same size, evenly spaced, and flicker. They look white-ish from a distance, but they are transparent enough that the picture behind can still be seen, and if you get really close, there are a lot of green and purple dots in no particular order.

Now, I've done some pretty extensive testing to single out what's going on, but I don't know what it is technically speaking! The lines don't show up when I only hook up a coaxial cable and get a picture. However, if I plug anything into any HDMI port (there are 3) or through the component (either of the 2), and turn it to that output, then the lines show up. Doesn't matter if it's the cable box, Xbox One, or both.

Anybody have an idea of what's going on? Thanks a ton!

Quick edit: The lines distort the whatever is behind them when there is an actual show/game/picture up, instead of just a grey screen or something. Don't know if that makes any difference
    Last edited by whbrown; 09-07-2014, 10:07 AM.

Re: Transparent Vertical lines on Sony Bravia KDL-32S5100

Sorry for the premature bump but I have another edit, and I can't edit my first post. Earlier this afternoon the lines went away completely a few times like they had been for the past few weeks, then would come back. It was just a few minutes each time, but there's some more info.

Could this be some sort of interference since it seems to come and go at random?

Comment

Pictures would help. Do the lines appear to cover the user interface (menus etc?) Do they show when there's no signal on the HDMI/component?
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here's a picture I took yesterday, sorry it's not of the greatest quality but my phone has a pretty bad camera. I tried to mark some of the more obvious lines, but they are evenly spaced all the way across the screen. Doesn't show up quite as much on the picture, but it's basically like a clear, grainy line in that I can see what's behind it (color, picture) but it's a little garbled looking.

Comment

I can't see the picture...
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Sorry, I'm kinda a noob it seems.

Take 2:
            Attached Files

Comment

I can't see any distortion in that picture, you will need to try taking a better one. Try using room lighting to reduce shutter speed. If your camera has a "sport" or "fast" mode, turn that on.

Comment

Okay, sorry about that. I am at work now but I'll try to put another one up tonight!

Comment

I see em, try cleaning and reseating your LVDS and T-con ribbon cables.

But be warned, sony panels are notorious for panel failure with the glass fused TFT tab bond ribbon cables.

Please take detailed photos of your tv with the back off and the boards exposed so one can help guide you on what you need to do next!

Comment

I tried getting the back off yesterday but didn't have much success. It wouldn't come off at the top, and a made sure I had all the screws out. Since they flicker /come and go, what are the chances that it's some sort of interference? The picture is fine, and the lines are fairly different from the typical vertical colored lines I've seen while searching around. Also, why would it have lines only why I plug in a HDMI or component, and not when showing a picture when plugged directly into the coaxial cable, or when sitting on an unused input? It seems like if panel or insides were bad the lines would always be there.

Sorry if some of these questions are obvious, I'm just trying to learn.
                    Last edited by whbrown; 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Have you tried a composite connection and see what the video is like with that?

Sounds like you might have a digital decoder chip failure on your mainboard as your HDMI and some Componate signals are digial as well. I had an older Vizio that looked like it had a Solarized picture when running HDMI and Componate but when I ran a composite or RF signal it was totally fine. Ended up being a bad mainboard.

With the back of your panel being difficult to take off, sometimes take a butter knife or a cats paw tool and slowly pry it open on the parts that are being difficult to separate.

Comment

Oh and Tab bond failures come in all shapes and sizes, colored lines and distortion ect. I have seen quite a few from Sony and no two were ever the same other then being the same issue in the end!

Comment

I don't think interference is the cause of the fault for your TV.

Comment

Working...
                          X