Panasonic TH-42PA60A Self Test Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TH-42PA60A Self Test Failed

The wife picked up same Tv at tip for $20 here in darwin. Just got this going this moment. Tried nil display but audio. Disconnected LVDS at DG and got full white. Just realised as a long shot I did not reseat LVDS at the D board end. Got picture and OSD.
    Hooked up a DVD player to AV1, picture horrible red pixels everywhere similar to your issue but totally extreme, manipulated the LVDS at the D board whilst on, now perfect picture no red pixels.

maybe worth another go on yours and see how you go.

Comment

connection is very tempermental, can get red dots just touching that lvds point on the D and get dots like yours.

Comment

Hey tw005 sorry I missed your posts - I thought I had subscribed to this thread :/

This is actually very interesting timing - the used LG 37" LCD that I've been running (since I fixed the power supply squeal) just died again last week - no backlight this time. It was intermittent for a couple of days before failing and I can't find enough information to troubleshoot the complex inverted section of the power supply board. I was just about to start a thread on it.

But back to the 42PA60: I did play around with the LVDS connections quite a bit, but if this problem can be so obviously replicated by dodgy connections maybe the connectors are dodgy. I wonder if as a last resort it would be worth hand soldering those connections? The LVDS connector is on the top edge of the D board so I wonder if perhaps spending its whole life 100m from the beach has caused some corrosion inside the connector?

Also, since this topic is now more about the red dots could a mod possibly change the thread title? I can't find any method to.

Comment

No idea about changing the title. I just held the release clips and carefully and repeatedly reseated the connector hoping friction would do the cleaning it it appears pretty good now. At one stage just touching the connector or cable set it off with red sparklies but now ok. I put a strip of electrical tap across to help stabilise the connectors both ends and taped the cable to the back of the panel just to reduce vibration upsetting it.

threw it in the back of the car and took it to my mates place and fired up perfect still so hopeful he'll get some reasonable use from it.

For a Sd set, I was quite impressed and the colour reproduction was typical panasonic quality.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to try direct soldering, pretty fine wires. maybe someone else has tried it? Of course it may not be the cause of your problem but sounds like it was working fine after your board swap and then red sparkles so maybe keep trying reseating it but maybe there's corrosion that's too bad. salt air i would expect to be as bad or worse than the high humidity here.

Comment

I just had a play around and still no luck. Because the D board is behind the DG and H board assembly it's not possible to play with the connection to the D board while the TV is on (I tried and gave myself a boot accidentally touching a heatsink on the P board directly above).

I did plug about with the cable on both ends but it had no effect and I'm convinced it's not a connection issue. While soldering the individual wires is well within my abilities, it would take a while and I don't think it would help.

It's so frustrating - I'm sitting here with the TV on at the moment. It's 99% watchable and you get used to the dots after a little while, but it will continue to annoy me.

You're right that the colour reproduction is great on these TVs. It might be relatively low resolutions, but the colours are so rich it looks very nice.

Comment

Working...
            X