Vizio P42HD (Plasma) 2 Vertical Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio P42HD (Plasma) 2 Vertical Lines

This unit has a red line and a blue line vertically on left side of screen. Both lines are about 1/2 inch wide. Do you guys think it is a bad panel or left bottom driver?

Re: Vizio P42HD (Plasma) 2 Vertical Lines

It is most likely a bad panel.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      It is most likely a bad panel.
      What is it about a bad panel that can't get fixed? Is it the plasma cells, the actual connections to the panel or what?

Comment

On the bottom of the plasma panel there are some chip on flex ICs responsible for driving the vertical electrodes. These ICs are bonded to flex which is stuck between the two glass layers.

When one of the chips on the flex fails the flex can't be replaced as it's stuck to the panel, so the plasma panel itself is considered failed.

Unfortunately they have to do it this way: as much as I'd like to see removable column drivers, the technology would require 0.1mm pitch connectors for a 720p, 42" display (and even smaller for a 1080p display), which isn't feasible at the moment.

If you post a picture of the fault then I can confirm it. Sometimes bars can be a problem with the X-distribution boards.
        Last edited by tom66; 01-20-2013, 05:05 AM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          On the bottom of the plasma panel there are some chip on flex ICs responsible for driving the vertical electrodes. These ICs are bonded to flex which is stuck between the two glass layers.

When one of the chips on the flex fails the flex can't be replaced as it's stuck to the panel, so the plasma panel itself is considered failed.

Unfortunately they have to do it this way: as much as I'd like to see removable column drivers, the technology would require 0.1mm pitch connectors for a 720p, 42" display (and even smaller for a 1080p display), which isn't feasible at the moment.

If you post a picture of the fault then I can confirm it. Sometimes bars can be a problem with the X-distribution boards.
          Is this the same situation for LCD panels?

Comment

Yes, except with LCD panels in very rare cases it is possible to fix the bonding on the LCD. And lines in both directions are bad, whereas plasma can sometimes be fixed with lines going left to right, though it can still be a bad plasma panel.

Comment

Attempting to fix the same issue on the same Vizio set. Came onto this post searching for a solution and wondered if the set is beyond fixing like indicated above. There are 2 vertical red bars,one to the right slightly off center, and near the left most red bar are green and yellow bars.

Comment

Can we see a picture?

Comment

yes, I will take and upload one now.
                  Last edited by XeoNexus; 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I have not seen that before. Could you move it to an attachment on the post? It's taking a long time to load. To me, it looks like it could be a y-buffer problem, repairable. Have you tried it with an actual video source?

Comment

original and with a system plugged in.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I see the red line got bigger. Does this return to how it was if you remove the source?

Comment

The bars change whenever I bump or move the set. No change when using the inputs.

Comment

In which case, unplug the set (all power off, make sure screen is out, etc.) Look at the bottom of the plasma panel. You'll see some connectors going to the plasma glass, chip on film -- these drive the columns. Unplug each of the connections and re-insert them. May take some tries to get it perfect. Looks like it may just be a loose connector on the buffer connections.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help, I will try that now.

Comment

No change re-inserting the connections. I might be in the wrong area, but I didn't' see what you described on the bottom. The only thing similar to that were about 10 ribbon connections on the far left side. I tried what I could find, besides the connections from the PSU.

Comment

Can I get a picture of the chassis? Also, who made the plasma panel in this model? Samsung, LG, Panasonic, ...?

Comment

LG made the plasma panel (PDP42x21000). Sharpest picture I can get with my cell phone.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

OK, the ribbons on this model are hidden behind those heatsinks on the bottom.

You will unfortunately have to remove all of the main board and framing. Then remove the lower heatsinks and reseat every connector. DO NOT power up the set with those heatsinks removed -- doing so will destroy the plasma panel drivers in short order, which are not replaceable (without swapping the panel itself.)

Comment

I'll try that tomorrow and post the results. Thanks again for the assistance.

Comment

Working...
                                        X