50" Panasonic Plasma dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" Panasonic Plasma dead.

I got a 50" Panasonic Plasma model th-50px75u that wont power up.
    When I plug it, I can hear a click.
    But after that if I press the power button, I just get a static red led, no blinking or nothing.

Any way, I got a troubleshooting diagram from scribd, and followed the steps for No power/ Dead Unit.

In pin 20 of D5 I got 3.0v
    and in pin 11 of P25 I got 3.2v

So according to that diagram there is something wrong with the power supply. (power supply ETXMM655MEH )
    I did a visual inspection, and I cant see anything obvious, and measured continuity in all the fuses I saw.
    But thats about it, I dont know what else to look for.
    Im attaching some pictures of the power supply.

Thank you in advance for your help, and kind attention.
    Attached Files

Re: 50" Panasonic Plasma dead.

Quick update.

Looking in youtube how to check diodes, I found that two of them apear to be opened, im posting the pictures to see if this can help.

Thanks again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by titodj View Post
      Looking in youtube how to check diodes, I found that two of them apear to be opened,
      1) Are you using the diode test function on your multimter?

2) If yes, post the actual readings. You should have 2 readings per diode.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes I'm using my multimeter.

The first one (the one next to what looks like a coil)

.168 and .520

The second one (next to the yellow thing)

.001 (after a while of jumping all over it settel's there)

Thanks.

Comment

Second one seems bad.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by titodj View Post
            The second one (next to the yellow thing)

.001 (after a while of jumping all over it settel's there)
            The second is shorted (not open). Remove it and retest out of circuit.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you, I finally got to take the power supply off, and remove the diode.
              off circuit reads "OL" on both directions.

So I assume the diode is bad.
              Now, I have a few questions, should I look for something else in the power supply?
              Is that diode alone likely the cause of the failure?
              The diode is the Panasonic ST3D82 Diode Surge Protector

Should I just replace the diode and test? or test something else and then replace??

Also the first diode that I mentioned in this thread, its fine even tough it gives readings in both directions?

The first one (the one next to what looks like a coil)

.168 and .520
              Thanks again, for your help.

Comment

That diode is probably good (it is a TVS, so will not conduct normally); is it still reading a short between the terminals on the PCB, where you removed the diode?
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If i use the continuity test between the two empty terminals where the diode was, I get a beep

If I use the diode mode I get 0.00 so I guess "yes"?

I get a shorts between the terminals.

Comment

OK, so there is still a short. Which area are you testing? (I'm not sure which one it is the picture.)

Comment

I took out the diode next to what it looks like a yellow transformer.
                      And I'm getting a "beep" between the terminals where the diode was.

Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That MAY be normal, as the diode is simply there to protect the transformer which will read as short. I think you need to look elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks, I wil replace the diode, and see if that helps.

Comment

Hi dear titodj,I'm working in the same power supply and i tried some thigs but still no find the solution,replaising this diode fix your problem?,because i have the same in mine,thanks.

Comment

I have replaced large caps on some of the other types of plasma power supplies.

I would check or replace the large caps in the secondary part of the supply.

Comment

Originally posted by cadiman View Post
                                I have replaced large caps on some of the other types of plasma power supplies.

I would check or replace the large caps in the secondary part of the supply.
                                I have two sets of large caps one whit 3 caps 900 uf 220 v and others 3 220uf 450 v this last one is the one close to the 110 v main entry which one is the one that you guess is give me a problem,thanks

Comment

Just to update this thread.

After replacing the three big capacitors (450 v 220uf) I was able to hear the relays click, but still no go...

So following the flow charts in this excellent troubleshooting manual, I was able to pinpoint the problem in the GS board, so decided to take out the GS board...

And... BINGO !!!

I found a 5cts coin stuck in the SD card slot !!!

A pair of needle nose pliers and one minute later, the problem was resolved !!

Last edited by titodj; 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

LOL! Awesome! Interesting that a coin would cause that, but I guess it acts as a nice shorting block!
                                    Oh, and you're 5 cents richer
                                    Last edited by tom66; 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I have the same issue. My son stuck a washer stuck in the SD card slot, as it looked like the slit on his penny bank. I pulled it out, but now the TV is stuck on channel 3, and it wont change channels or adjust the volume, it pretty much turns on and off to channel 3 and I cant change to HDMI nor any other input.

Any ideas how to address the issue. I've been reading that there is a way to disconnect the SD reader permanently....its a 6 year old 50 inch Panasonic Plasma...

thaks

Comment

I would check the button board connectors are seated correctly and no buttons are stuck.

Comment

Working...
                                        X