Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips 52PFL5704D/F7 Sound and Backlight, No Video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 52PFL5704D/F7 Sound and Backlight, No Video.

OR the fix would be nice if the TCon is still not avail.
    Alan

Comment

Mine it worked for a little bit, before overheated.
      Yours it still works a bit? If not, then maybe is to late for a fix.

Comment

T-Cons are hard to find for this one lately.. There are a couple of guys on Ebay that repair them for around $150, replacing the 2 big IC's.

Comment

Hey guys, We have the same set

Except when the LVDS cables are plugged into the TCon the set will not power on at all. When removed we get backlight but, obviously no video

Any ideas what exactly may be shorted in this to cause this???
          This Forum absolutely the best and, the most helpful forum I have ever found anywhere. thanks to all the fantastic members here
          Help keep these from the landfills

Comment

Probably the T-con or panel. To rule out the panel, disconnect the ribbons going to the panel, leave the T-con plugged in. If it still shows the problem, it's the T-con. If not, it's the panel.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

When the ribbons to the panel are removed the same result

Has to be T-Conn shorted somewhere

But, I cannot see where unless it is in the big ICs
              This Forum absolutely the best and, the most helpful forum I have ever found anywhere. thanks to all the fantastic members here
              Help keep these from the landfills

Comment

It's the 2 large ICs that apparently go bad, there is a guy on ebay who repairs the boards, but it costs $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-52PF...#ht_426wt_1172

Comment

Here's tip you can try on a repair for these T-Con board which more likely are very hard to find if one can and also most likely will never be available for part purchase from Philips or Sharp.Here's the method we have used.
                  (1) remove the metal shield from T-con
                  (2) remove the T-con from panel
                  (3) remove all four thermal heat transfer pads from T-con board
                  (4) we used tin pan that would hold T-con and use Acetone cleaner and pour
                  in pan to amount that would just cover top T-con let board sit for about 2/3 min.
                  (5) remove T-con and use tooth brush rub entire top and then bottom vigorously to clean both top and bottom.
                  (6) let dry for 30- 45 min reinstall T-con back to panel
                  (7) reinstall thermal heat transfer pads back from where previously remove
                  (8) reinstall ribbon connector and cables,reinstall metal shield
                  (9) turn on and bench test

Now our theory of whats happening is the oily residue after period of time from the thermal heat transfer pad is getting on the board and becoming some what of resistive coating and shunting the 3.3 volt source for the T-con
                  Attached Files
                  Ron Driver,BSEE,CET,ISCET,NESDA

Comment

I got one of these off craigslist for free about 3 months ago figuring I'd replace a part and have a nice free tv. After pinpointing the problem to the tcon I figured I'd have to pay $125 to have it rebuilt, however I couldn't see any burn spots on the ic's so I tried rons solution.
                    Soaked it in acetone and cleaned the board thoroughly. Reinstalled it and amazingly it turned right on! Thank you Ron!!!
                    Also want to say that after my 7yo bumped into the tv it went from turning on with just a backlight to only clicking when plugged in but no response to the power button. Checked the power supply and saw one of the copper windings with a black plastic center was sitting higher than the rest. Apparently the solder on the legs had heated up and the part slid out some.
                    If anyone else has the dead except for clicking when plugged in problem I would recommend checking the rows of little copper wound capacitor things(not sure what they are) on the top right where the ssb cables plug in.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts on this subject. I pulled my board out and saw no immediate problems. Being that I am not a pro at do this I took it to a local repair shop who checked everything (for free even) and found no problems. They told me that often the problems is simply a poor connection somewhere. I put the board back in and made for certain that all connections were solid. The TV started right up. I really do appreciate all the advice on this subject, it sure helped me a lot. Thanks for taking the time to post!!

Comment

So I got this TV and have this problem. I've cleaned the board in 91% alcohol and with a toothbrush twice, as it worked for awhile then on the next power on (I tried turning it back on after it being on for a couple of hours) and the screen would turn on for a split second and fade to black. The second time I took the TCON board off I looked at all 5 of the thermal pads more closely and noticed that it looked like whoever put together this TV only took off one side of the protective layer of each thermal pad. So the 3 gray pads had a thin plastic layer on one side, and the 2 white pads had a hard to remove paper? layer on one side. I recommend using a razor blade to get the paper off. I assume those aren't any kind of electrical insulator, I took them off and everything is fine. The TV still had this issue after doing that though, so I strapped a 120mm computer case fan and spliced the wires with a computer front panel (LED/power/reset) lead and hooked it into one of the two empty 4 pin connectors on the TV's power supply. Now the fan kicks on and off with the TV. I just got done doing this, I'll let you know if it makes any difference, the "heatsink" is nice and cool to the touch now though so if there is any problem still I doubt it will be heat related.

Comment

I have found the same plastic layer, but on both sides of those thermal pad.
                          I have put thermal paste on every surface and installed a CPU heat sink on the shield and it was running like a champ.

Comment

I figured the fan would do more good than a heatsink, as it will cool everything (kind of), not only the chips, and it's cheaper and easier to put on a fan (depending on what you have on hand, but still easier even if you had everything you needed to do both.) I only had some Arctic Silver 5 on hand and there's no way I'm putting that on there (conductive), nor did I have any heatsinks that I could use (so many Socket A heatsinks lying around, being worthless.)

Comment

Hopefully the fan won't suffocate and be noisy with the back on, I think it will have enough clearance to work fine though.

Comment

And it's still acting up, so much for the fan idea.

Comment

Maybe for some it's to late, something got damaged. Maybe I was lucky and repaired it in time.
                                  I don't have that TV anymore, but I'm wondering from all that heat can't be that some capacitors(not sure if there are any) got damaged?

Comment

I took the TCON board off again, wash, rinse, repeat, and left off the thermal pads and heat shield, except I took the small thick gray thermal pad and cut it down to be slightly smaller than the chip on the backside of the board, I wanted it to still have a pad on it since it doesn't get direct airflow and the gray pads seemed less likely to cause any kind of shorting issues since they felt less sticky and oily than the white pads. Cleaning the board causes it to work again every time, I checked to make sure that it was still acting up before removing the board and after unplugging and replugging the two cables that go to the main board. Works so far, fingers crossed. I don't know if the alcohol is making a temporary electrical connection somewhere, I wouldn't figure that though since it's 91% and evaporates really quickly. The TV has never stopped working on me until I turn it off and then turn it back on, but it's only been on for a max of about 3 hours.

Comment

I may try baking it if this doesn't work, anyone have any input on that? I've fixed an old 8800GT video card by baking it, three times... still works amazingly, using it right now. I'd put it in the oven for about 10 minutes at 385 degrees or so, I figured this board might be good with a little less time though.

Comment

One of these just popped up on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...23#ht_64wt_934

Comment

Now for some reason when I tune the TV to digital cable channels through coax they have an interframe streaking effect where there is motion, as if the interpolation/120hz feature is broken. Doesn't happen on 1080p from my computer through HDMI 3. Opening and dismissing the menu makes the TV work properly. It only does this about 50% of the time.

Seems to be working better after being on for a few minutes, maybe the digital signal was weak? or maybe removing the heat shield is allowing interference to reach the TCON board on certain stations? or possibly a firmware problem I didn't notice before.
                                          Last edited by dejo87; 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X