Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video card MOSFETs crushed... need to replace them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video card MOSFETs crushed... need to replace them?

Hoping that this is the correct category to put this in.

I had an account on here quite some time ago, only for lurking... apparentally it got pruned or something along those lines, so I re-registered [Galvanized pointed me over here several months ago.]

Lots of fascinating stuff over here, though quite a bit of it is over my head.

Anyway, onto the problem..

Someone I know [[and yes, it really is someone I know No way I'd buy this card..]] purchased an X1900XTX, with the intent of overclocking it, and also bought a full coverage waterblock.

In the process of mounting the full coverage waterblock he crushed two MOSFETs, indicated below:

[[This is not the actual picture of the card, but a higher-quality one of the exact same card for the sake of seeing detail.]]

The actual card:

So, the questions are:
    1) Is the card fixable?

2) How to remove the current MOSFETs--he's already tried, with limited success [[see the second picture.]]

3) How to go about getting new MOSFETs-- VT1103SF and VT233TF.
    E-mail has already been sent to Volterra, but highly doubtful they'll respond for quantities of one.
    Possibly try ATi?
    Or is a scrapped card the only option?

4) How to put the NEW MOSFETs in?
    Solder?
    etc.

Thanks for the time guys, it's much appreciated.
    --Trevor

Re: Video card MOSFETs crushed... need to replace them?

Welcome Trevor,

I'm afraid those two crushed components are not MOSFETs... at least, they don't looks like FETs, and the PCB lists them as Uxxx, as opposed to Qxxx which is what would expect from a transistor.

The U usually implies "microchip" of some kind - are you sure it's not an IC with a BGA grid underneath? That would be difficult to repair. You might want to check that and get back to us.

Comment

Multi-Phase Synchronous Buck Voltage Regulator Chipset
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

VT1000 Family: Multi-Phase, Synchronous Buck Voltage Regulator Chipsets

I saw Voltage Regulator, and assumed transistor... but maybe it isn't?

Photobucket downsized the other image for whatever reason.

Here it is, slightly cropped [to allow for forum restrictions], but visible now.

Looking at it, you're right, there seems to be a grid underneath.

[[Not attaching itself. Darn. Imageshack isn't working either. Let me find somewhere that'll take it.]]

Comment

It is possible to solder them, without a solder reflow station

Get a oven and a thermistor, carefully set the oven to about 210-220°C

Place the new BGA device you want to solder as carefully as you can ontop of the solder pads, you do not need to get it 100% perfect, because it will "float" to the nearest solder balls when they melt, but that also means you must make sure that it does not flow to one of the other "grids"... Anyway, leave it in the oven for about 3 minutes. That is the theory anyway, search google for BGA and Oven and you should find more info on it, good luck mate ;-)

EDIT; here is one; http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/EA...E506/?ALLSTEPS
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Got it!

Can't quite tell, but those might be little pins. Uh-oh.

Thanks again for the help guys.
            --Trevor

Edit:
            Per, I like the suggestion, but 100C is a bit high for some of the components on the video card, isn't it? If not, that sounds perfect ... but what about acquiring the chips?

--Trevor
            Last edited by Trevor; 05-13-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

looks like bga .
              hopefully the pads arent boogered up from the prying.
              i use hot air to rework those type chips.

Comment

I would not get hopes up for a repair on that.
                Jim

Comment

since its toast anyways. i would say dont use an oven, but use a heat gun.

ive used a heat gun to remove chipsets from old mobos.
                  Specs
                  DFI AM2 LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
                  X2 3800+EE AM2
                  2x1GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC
                  XFX 7900GS
                  Maxtor 6L250S0
                  Maxtor 6V300F0
                  Western Digital WD2500JS
                  Mushkin HP-550(Cap/Filter Modded)

Cooling
                  Swiftech Apogee
                  Swiftech MCW-60
                  Swiftech MCP-600
                  HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Comment

Talking about BGA chips, there are some Sky Digiboxes with bad solder joints on the BGA chips, and one Topfield TF5000PVRt box had been found at a junkyard; one possible reason could be bad solder joints on the BGA chip. There are very few, if any, service centres in Australia capable of working with such packages.

Hope this card is not brand new; the package in the pictures needs precise positioning as well... good luck
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

If your thinking of repairing this for a friend...I'd have second thoughts. If this was given to you=another story. Give it a go. If you have a junk board, of any type, practice on it. I like the heat gun idea myself. Only once have I used a heat gun to preheat a CPU HS for removal. (Never used one on a pcb.) A cardboard dam was used to keep heat off surrounding componets.

If your practice on a junk pcb, remember that lead free solder has a higher melting temp (read it here). A decent dam could be used to concentrate the heat on the board's backside. Good luck OP.

Comment

Card of an accquantince. I was considering buying it from him for the experience of fixing it, but after reading here, you've changed my mind. Not worth throwing the ~100 dollars out, when I can invest that in a good PSU instead

Thanks guys. Keep this thread going, if you'd like. I'd still be interested in any pointers/tips for reference later on.
                        --Trevor

Edit:

Japlytic, the card was brand new I feel bad for the guy; ~550ish [actually more than that, because he lives in the UK] down the drain.

--Trevor
                        Last edited by Trevor; 05-14-2006, 07:04 AM.

Comment

well he might as well stick it in the for sale section. there is a few that could do that repair.

any broke stuff you see send em here.

but 100C is a bit high for some of the components on the video card, isn't it?
                          nope, they probably cooked it at 230oC before he bought it. plastics would be the first thing to go.

Comment

G'day o/

I'm the guy who crushed the card

I'm not sure what to do with it at this point, tbh. There's someone on XS offering me a hundred bucks for it, but if someone is able to repair it, I'll split the profits with him... otherwise i guess ill stick it in the sales section as you say

In any case I need to figure out what to do with it within reasonable time, because my bank account is bleeding.

Open to suggestions here.

Comment

well i damaged traces on a brand new P4C800-E Deluxe during pre-emptive recapping. i guess we all have bad days.

did you power up the board after the damage? (i am not saying to try, it would be a bad idea)

there is a few here who could do that repair, problem would be to find those vrms

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                well i damaged traces on a brand new P4C800-E Deluxe during pre-emptive recapping. i guess we all have bad days.

did you power up the board after the damage? (i am not saying to try, it would be a bad idea)

there is a few here who could do that repair, problem would be to find those vrms
                                My guess was to get it from another guy who'd toasted his board, too.

--Trevor

Comment

Yeah, the PC powered up fine, but no video output.

I did damage the vrms while attempting to remove them - as per someone's suggestions - but they were pretty crushed to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by creidiki
                                    Yeah, the PC powered up fine, but no video output.

I did damage the vrms while attempting to remove them - as per someone's suggestions - but they were pretty crushed to begin with.

Oops. I was under the impression they were just pins. Didn't think you'd take a knife to them and try to scrape them off.

Heh.

Both at fault.

Comment

Hi, I've the same problem!! I also broke those 2 little chips.
                                      Can anyone tell me where to get those VT1000 Family: Multi-Phase, Synchronous Buck Voltage Regulator Chipsets.

Thanks

Comment

its not something you willl find easy. best idea would be to find another card with the same problem and salvage the chips or try to obtain sample from a distributor.

Comment

Working...
                                        X