No announcement yet.

Polaroid FLM-373B Power LED but no picture, already tried replacing caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Polaroid FLM-373B Power LED but no picture, already tried replacing caps

Originally posted by pattheslat View Post
    On what, the "35419" of the part number? I just double checked and it is definitely a 35 there.
    Yeah, strange 3.5V regulator... not a common output voltage.

Since you're in the USA: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...ICT-ND/1301474

is a good close replacement. 3.3V is close enough to 3.5V to most chips that it should not matter.

This is also a part for part replacement, so the pins should match.

plus about $3 shipping.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I will try that part and see what happens.

Comment

I'm just a little baffled now about what voltage that regulator is supposed to output.

It's definitely askew as 1.95V is no where near a standard voltage and most of these regulators seem to drop to around 2V when they fail.

The "35" in the part code seems to indicate 3.5V, as the "25" is in the other part code does match the 2.506V output.

Strange... Very strange. Does the regulator have any logo on it?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Nope, absolutely nothing on it besides the numbers.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm looking at the two resistors and thinking adjustable regulator but it still doesn't look right. Have you ordered the part yet? If not, hold off for a day or two for someone else to put their input in.

Comment

I'm reading the two resistors as 110 ohms and 61.9 ohms each. I put these into a calculator and get 2V output, which matches the measurement.

So I'm not so sure if it is the regulator at fault. Can you double check pin #1 relative to the metal case of the TV, and then measure the voltage from pin #1 to the tab?

Comment

Sorry to not respond for a week, I moved to a new state and started a new job, so I haven't had any spare time.

Now when I check the voltages, I'm getting .704 from pin 1 to the case, and -1.243 from pin 1 to the tab.

Comment

that 1084 is a voltage regulator.. used as an adjustable version (2 resistors on the GND/ADJ pin)
                  I just came across an AMS1084CT in TO-220 a week or so ago and looked it up. That's why I remember this.

Searched for 1084PE and alldatasheet threw an APE1084P at me, which is available in TO-252 like yours.
                  http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...PE1084P15.html
                  Last edited by Scenic; 01-09-2012, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                    that 1084 is a voltage regulator.. used as an adjustable version (2 resistors on the GND/ADJ pin)
                    I just came across an AMS1084CT in TO-220 a week or so ago and looked it up. That's why I remember this.

Searched for 1084PE and alldatasheet threw an APE1084P at me, which is available in TO-252 like yours.
                    http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...PE1084P15.html
                    I'm having a heck of a time actually finding one for sale anywhere, googling just brings up data sheets. Any idea where I could find one?

Comment

I'm having a heck of a time actually finding one for sale anywhere, googling just brings up data sheets. Any idea where I could find one?
                      This is a 'jelly bean' part - available from a number of different manufacturers. The 1084 is the 'core' identifier. Any suffix identifies the output voltage and package. Each manufacturer uses a unique two or three letter prefix. Digi-Key has them in the AP (Diodes Inc) and LT (Linear Technology) prefixes.

There seems to have been a little confusion with what you are looking for, U13 is a 2.5 volt fixed output regulator, U33 is an adjustable output regulator, and as tom66 indicated, is PROBABLY bad.

Digi-Key AP1084DG-13DICT-ND at $1.48 is a replacement in the TO-252 package, AP1084KLDICT-ND is $1.63 in the TO-263 package; either compare datasheets or trust tom66.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Sorry to not respond for a week, I moved to a new state and started a new job, so I haven't had any spare time.

Now when I check the voltages, I'm getting .704 from pin 1 to the case, and -1.243 from pin 1 to the tab.
                        Hmm, my error. 1.243V is a good reading for this regulator (should be around 1.25V.) I guess we need to look elsewhere. Are there any regulators on the bottom of the board?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                          Hmm, my error. 1.243V is a good reading for this regulator (should be around 1.25V.) I guess we need to look elsewhere. Are there any regulators on the bottom of the board?
                          Finally got a chance today to pull that board out, there are no regulators on the bottom of it. So you're saying that regulator is ok?

Comment

Finally got a chance today to pull that board out, there are no regulators on the bottom of it. So you're saying that regulator is ok?
                            Yes, it looks like it is. I'm kinda stumped right now. I'm not sure why it is not working. Have you got a 2.2k - 4.7k resistor? Maybe the PSU is at fault and that will allow a test.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              Yes, it looks like it is. I'm kinda stumped right now. I'm not sure why it is not working. Have you got a 2.2k - 4.7k resistor? Maybe the PSU is at fault and that will allow a test.
                              I can get one. What test can be done with that?

Comment

Check if the supply is turning on and then turning off. We can force it on by pulling PSON high or low.

Recently, I have dealt with an LG power supply which had bad caps. But even after replacing them all it continued to turn itself off. I later found it was the AC detect that was turning it off. Now I'm far more vigilant in testing this, as well as PSON.

Comment

Ok, I got some 3.3k resistors. Now what?

Comment

Sorry didn't see your post...

I'm very busy now, will reply later after my exams.

Comment

Ok, I got some 3.3k resistors. Now what?
                                      Probably something like posts #70 to #80 in a different thread, but same concept.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=18382&page=4
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What Retiredcaps said.

If you post a closer up image of the connector going from power supply to main board we could deduce which pin needs to be pulled up (if it is labelled.) If it's not labelled (#*@$ Proview/Megmeet), then we may have to do some guesswork based on the power supply layout or the voltages at the pins.

Comment

Hi I Think I have found the Power Supply Details.It has the pinouts.
                                          I will try and upload it. To read the PDF you may need to download the adobe chinese character reader. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4883
                                          Without it, it just shows as a blank page doesnt even show the english
                                          Attached Files
                                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                          X