Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vizio VW42LFHDTV10...Brother Mikes TV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio VW42LFHDTV10...Brother Mikes TV...

Hello all, i have been reading the posts here for 3days now So very Informative! My Vizio GV42L FHDTV10a is also acting up no pic,audio can turn on but have to unplug to shut it down all lights work now wife made a list of everything to check on the main board from all the posts she read but didnt write down if the set has to be Plugged in and whether tv set should be on Could some one plz clarify before we tackle the tv.
    thank you
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danejo View Post
      Hello all, i have been reading the posts here for 3days now So very Informative! My Vizio GV42L FHDTV10a is also acting up no pic,audio can turn on but have to unplug to shut it down all lights work now wife made a list of everything to check on the main board from all the posts she read but didnt write down if the set has to be Plugged in and whether tv set should be on Could some one plz clarify before we tackle the tv.
      thank you
      Dan
      After you have removed the back of the TV, plug the TV in, turn it on, and measure the voltages on the LDO regulators. U33 is often bad. Report the results for confirmation.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hello PlainBill,
        we did as you said and checked all the LDO Regulators and here are the results.U33 ,U7,U2 and U8 are AMC1117 and U9 is K1117-S15725 we use the SCrew on the circuit board for ground .
        pin 1 2 3
        U33 - 1.2 1.9 5.3
        U2 - 2.0 3.3 5.1
        U7 - 20mv .95 2.2 here the values jumping high and low when backlights went on
        U8 - 2.0 3.3 5.1
        U9 - 0 1.4 1.99-2.0
        Your next Advice would be greatly appreciated
        thank you
        Last edited by danejo; 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM. Reason: misprint

Comment

Hello PlainBill,
          we did as you said and checked all the LDO Regulators and here are the results.U33 ,U7,U2 and U8 are AMC1117 and U9 is K1117-S15725 we use the SCrew on the circuit board for ground .
          pin 1 2 3
          U33 - 1.2 1.9 5.3
          U2 - 2.0 3.3 5.1
          U7 - 20mv .95 2.2 here the values jumping high and low when backlights went on
          U8 - 2.0 3.3 5.1
          U9 - 0 1.4 1.99-2.0
          Your next Advice would be greatly appreciated
          thank you
          U33 is definitely bad. U7 is probably good, you are getting into the dropout voltage on that.

There have been follow-up reports of U33 failing after a while, probably due to excessive load. So far no-one has positively identified the cause, although the HDMI interface IC is a suspect.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

do you think i should replace the HDMI interface also? i was going thru the other posts to find the correct part to order from Digikey just incase you said something was bad and had to go.
            TY!
            Dan

Comment

do you think i should replace the HDMI interface also? i was going thru the other posts to find the correct part to order from Digikey just incase you said something was bad and had to go.
              TY!
              Dan
              I wouldn't do that at this point. Research hasn't progressed to the point of positively identifying the culprit. If you wish, try to identify the IC and check availability. If it's a 40 pin TSOP that is only available in quantities of 5000 it isn't practical; even worse if it's a BGA package.

PlainBill

Comment

Thank you so much for your time and i will look up the part to replace U33 and Post back the results, should we also replace U7 to be safe? or just get a few extra just incase!
                thank you again
                dan

Comment

Thank you so much for your time and i will look up the part to replace U33 and Post back the results, should we also replace U7 to be safe? or just get a few extra just incase!
                  thank you again
                  dan
                  Just get three or four; they are inexpensive. We'll have to sort out U7 later if replacing U33 doesn't fix it.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                    Just get three or four; they are inexpensive. We'll have to sort out U7 later if replacing U33 doesn't fix it.

PlainBill
                    Parts Ordered and shipping out today
                    will post when we get it replaced hopefully by Saturday!

Dan

Comment

PlainBill
                      Sorry finally got the parts but both wife and I were sick with flu too weak to do anything lol. Replaced U33 checked the votages on all again and they were all with in normal limits as listed by you we had tv to check voltages then flipped the tv upright to look at screen and there it was the "No Signal" up on the screen!! We were so Happy remote is working and everything seems to be running pretty good. We want to Thank you so much for your patience, and advice we are Grateful to your expertise!
                      thank you Again
                      Dan

Comment

PlainBill
                        Sorry finally got the parts but both wife and I were sick with flu too weak to do anything lol. Replaced U33 checked the votages on all again and they were all with in normal limits as listed by you we had tv to check voltages then flipped the tv upright to look at screen and there it was the "No Signal" up on the screen!! We were so Happy remote is working and everything seems to be running pretty good. We want to Thank you so much for your patience, and advice we are Grateful to your expertise!
                        thank you Again
                        Dan
                        Congratulations on getting it working. I know how the flu can knock you out. The last bout I had I was sick for two weeks and it took another two to get back close to normal.

PlainBill

Comment

Alas, I have a VW42L that I need assistance with. I have read thread after thread in regard to testing the various regulators and think that I understand what to do but I feel as though I am not even getting power far enough to the main board. Please advise a good starting spot. I have downloaded the service guide from more than one location but do not have a main schematic in either .pdf

I am just unsure where to begin tracing the power. I have 5v to the 3,4,5 pins in J1 and 5v across the F1 fuse...please bear with me if I ask a dumb question but HELP..lol

Comment

Originally posted by jcabston View Post
                            Alas, I have a VW42L that I need assistance with. I have read thread after thread in regard to testing the various regulators and think that I understand what to do but I feel as though I am not even getting power far enough to the main board. Please advise a good starting spot. I have downloaded the service guide from more than one location but do not have a main schematic in either .pdf

I am just unsure where to begin tracing the power. I have 5v to the 3,4,5 pins in J1 and 5v across the F1 fuse...please bear with me if I ask a dumb question but HELP..lol
                            The first step is to provide pictures of YOUR set. I don't trust any manufacturer to use the same boards throughout a production run. Pictures must be well lit, sharp, and at least 1000 x 1000 pixels, but not over 2000. At this point we need three pictures - one of the entire TV, one of the power supply, and one of the output connectors of the power supply showing the legend that indicates what voltage or signal is on that pin.

If you prefer to go it your own, one possible cause could be the control signal from the main board to the power supply is not going active, OR the main power supply is not turning on.

PlainBill

Comment

Hello, I am Paul, a new member. Have been reading the forums for a couple days. I am looking at my mothers VW42LHDTV10A with main board
                              3642-0262-0150(3B)
                              CSD:3642-0192-0395
                              She has been battling hemolytic anemia for several months and the tv has become much more important for entertainment. My soldering skills are not great but I have done some on larger Heathkit type projects. I am satisfied my power supply is ok and master inverter glows blue led for a couple seconds the same as my own vizio. Her tv was already repaired once under warranty but I dont know what they did. I get the orange to white vizio logo but no menu, backlights are on. (won't power off) I'm getting ready to try and measure voltages on the U33 amc1117 I believe, but not sure on the order to measure. Stuff is so small for my eyes! I have attached some pics and will post the voltages of U33 and am hopng someone can tell me if they are correct. All fuses check ok in that the voltage is the same on both sides. Thanks for a very interesting forum, I don't know that I'll be buying anymore Vizio's but I think this may be the most troublesome model.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I had to go back and re-read some posts about measuring pin 1 2 3, so I hope I got this right, the U9 Pin 1 value seems odd, but here goes.

U33 1.3 2.1 5.17

U2 2.05 3.31 5.17

U7 0.02 1.04 2.10

U8 2.07 3.32 5.19

U9 0.00 1.22 2.10

Comment

Originally posted by Paul J View Post
                                  I had to go back and re-read some posts about measuring pin 1 2 3, so I hope I got this right, the U9 Pin 1 value seems odd, but here goes.

U33 1.3 2.1 5.17

U2 2.05 3.31 5.17

U7 0.02 1.04 2.10

U8 2.07 3.32 5.19

U9 0.00 1.22 2.10
                                  There are two 'flavors' of the 1117 type regulator - fixed and adjustable. The key to testing the adjustable regulators is the voltage on pin 2 (output) will be 1.25 volts above the voltage on pin 1 (ADJ). Allowing for measurement errors, U2, U8, and U9 are correct. U33 is bad, and U7's output is incorrect because it draws it's input power from U33.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks Bill,

I will try and order several tonight. The only symptom I forgot to mention was while my mother was watching it she fell asleep and was woken by what she described as a terrible screaching or screaming noise and the screen was blue. She was then forced to unplug it. Rebooting the screen is no longer blue but with the lights off, a soft gray. The white lights that seem to be powered off the master and slave inverter are most definately on. The chips under a magnifying glass look ok on the inverters.

This will be the smallest soldering I have ever done so if there are posts/tips on that, I would enjoy reading them. Thanks again for the help. Hopefully it is not ready for the landfill just yet.

Comment

Thanks Bill,

I will try and order several tonight. The only symptom I forgot to mention was while my mother was watching it she fell asleep and was woken by what she described as a terrible screaching or screaming noise and the screen was blue. She was then forced to unplug it. Rebooting the screen is no longer blue but with the lights off, a soft gray. The white lights that seem to be powered off the master and slave inverter are most definately on. The chips under a magnifying glass look ok on the inverters.

This will be the smallest soldering I have ever done so if there are posts/tips on that, I would enjoy reading them. Thanks again for the help. Hopefully it is not ready for the landfill just yet.
                                      There are a number of soldering videos on you-tube.

PlainBill

Comment

This will be the smallest soldering I have ever done so if there are posts/tips on that, I would enjoy reading them.
                                        CuriousInventor makes excellent soldering videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

ChipQuik might help too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo
                                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks Guys, that 1st video was awesome. I stopped by a local tv shop in town where the owner had two vizio's opened up. He said he never repairs boards and went on to give his opinion on vizio and samsung tv's. In any case, I ordered the LM1117-adj from digi-key. I think they must have the nicest people on the planet working for them. I felt guilty ordering only a few items! Now to wait for the mail but better from MN then Hong Kong or China.

Comment

Working...
                                          X