• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minolta Magicolor 2200 printer powersupply

I bought myself a new printer last friday, a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn

It was on sale this monday, great...

Later that evening a relative comes over

Anyway, into the discussion he mentions he has a color laserprinter and asks if I would have any use for it? Meh...

Anyway, yea sure, what's wrong with it
    -Power surge took it...

Took it apart and this is what I found:

A blown transistor (front of pic) and all of the components marked VS and a number (all over the PCB actually) some kind of zener diode?

The left 1000uF 200v 105°C Nichicon bulk cap also has a slight bulge, guess it did not like the surge either...

This powersupply actually wights more than most PC powersupplies, including cables and case!

Not holding my breath I asked google the PCB number, and lo and behold, eBay got me sorted, seller did not offer shipping to Sweden initially but I sweettalked him/her

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190093200153

Now I'm waiting for it to arrive, and if I do get the printer working this is gonna feel a bit silly, I mean a 1000$ printer for free, and the best part?

Just a week before it failed the owner had the toners replaced, for a cost of 700$!!!

(Anyone need a HP printer with 2 weeks usage? :P)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Minolta Magicolor 2200 printer powersupply

"TH" suggests to me that it is a thyristor (TRIAC).
    Since the two TRIACs are adjacent to each other, they would have the same number.
    The TRIACS are usually used for the fuser lamps and in some models, motor control.
    One of the blown components appears to be a NTC. What are the designations on the PCB where the blown components are (other than the TRIACs and capacitors)?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

That's it (as far as I can visually indicate that is)

I can see atleast 3 fully blown to bits triacs

And the "transistor", marked TH1 on PCB:

BCR8PM
      12L 23AX

It was too a triac, a semiconductor by Mitsubishi Electric

The capacitor that looks ok has 0.03ohm ESR, the bulging one has 0.06, so maybe it's fine afterall

If anyone needs this PCB just give me a PM, after I verify that the one from the eBay auction works you can have this one. Of course with the mentioned defects
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Got the PCB yesterday, took a while to screw the printer back togehter, and when I finally had it all setup it wanted to piss me off by saying this and that cover isn't closed etc (problem with the microswitches and damn plastic shit )

Anyway, after a while of fiddling it powered up, and I managed to print it's testpage, it works!!!

3 hours later I had managed to get TCP/IP printing to it working (don't ask, lets just say I prefer HP)

So Out the Win2K testpage goes too, working fine...

Time was now 24:00 and I go up 05:30, so I better go to bed, but just first I had to take a shit :P

And when I was sitting there I noticed that I was really tired, because it was getting dark like I was blinking my eyes, but it didn't feel right, so I held the eyelocks open with my fingers while watching the light and noticed it flickered, quite badly at that...

That's odd I thought, something wrong with the bathroom light...

But when I got out in the hall it was the same, and bedroom and computeroom, hmm, even tho I was really tired even I managed to put the two together, turned off the printer and all off a sudden the lights worked normally again...

So that's where I am now, hopefully it was just drawing too much power but it's too damn heavy to move so I can't test it on another fuse right now...

Attached Files

Comment

Tried the printer on it's own 10aH fuse now...

Had only it and a lightbulb (acting as my oscilloscope ) on the line...

It exhibited the same behaviour

So I guess some input filter is toast too, and now I gotta take apart the printer even more than before to get too it, sigh

Comment

Hmm, took it apart now, there is no filter.

That is to say the cable that goes into the unit goes directly up to the PCB I replaced (through the on/off switch)

Neither the receptable or on/off switch has any filter built in it seems...

So the filtering must be done on the powersupply's PCB alone...?

In the picture below power comes in through the connector marked CN1 on the very left of the PCB...
            Attached Files

Comment

Used this filter: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...49&postcount=4

But it did not help it seems, or not in any way I could see vs without that filter

Comment

Continuing my conversation with myself:

Just to make sure I was not chasing air I hooked up my oscilloscope (the desklamp) to the same line as the HP Laserjet 2605DN I bought a week or so ago...

When printing the oscilloscope registered some fluctuations

So I can now safley assume that 'tis the way it's supposed to be

The lamp did not flicker as much compared to running on the same line as the Minolta but then again the HP was drawing less current (max 600w vs 800w for the Minolta)

I made two printouts, taken myself of two butterflies, first I thought the printout with the HP looked better (it had richer colors) but when comparing the printouts to the image on the PC the Minolta was actually closer to the original colour...

But I think I will keep the HP anyway, the Minolta has allot of expensive parts that can malfunction, I found a service manual for it and ouch, there are allot of parts in it!

Or do you guys have another opinion?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-14-2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

i see you following the tried and tested willa method of talking to oneself. we are reading with interest though.
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Reaching back into the dusty recesses of my memory (a scary place!) I think laser printers (or at least some) in some modes draw large surges of current. I wonder if this is happening and causing your lights to dim due to the brief drops in line voltage with the current surges. A 'scope with a current probe clamped on one of the wires from the inlet to the rest of the printer might show something interesting.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Yea, might be it

Laser printers can actually draw up to 30aH for a few milliseconds

Comment

some pwm the fuser heater.

Comment

What is it that causes electronics to blow up like this

The guy I got the printer from said it was a brownout, so just dropping voltage when it was drawing too much current then?

What can be done to prevent it, can I buy some magic box that kills power when it gets too dirty? I mean a printer for 1000$ is IMO is worth some decent protection...

Comment

Working...
                          X