Old Laser printer vs. CUPS and Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Laser printer vs. CUPS and Windows 7

I've got an old Epson Action Laser II that's connected to my server and shared on the network. I got it working well, other than trying to find a suitable driver for my Windows 7 machines. Only one I could get to work was the generic Text-Only driver.

I read somewhere that I could use a Postscript driver or something, but that was for my HP Deskjet 930C that I no longer have.

Is it possible that there is a generic driver that has graphics support for this printer? I can't find a whole lot of info about it because it's so old. I do know that is is basically an HP Laserjet II clone, and can use PCL. Win7 doesn't seem to have a LJ2 driver either, and the Laserjet 4 driver didn't work.

Re: Old Laser printer vs. CUPS and Windows 7

is it postscript?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      is it postscript?
      I'm not sure.

Comment

the old driver trhing only works for postscript. the file is a .ppd
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

get the printer to do some internal test pages, these usually tell you stuff like internal driver versions.

Comment

Your title line makes reference to CUPS which is a Unix/Linux application.
            Where you interested in using the printer under linux? There is a list of Linux-supported printers out there on the web.

Generally, new versions of Windows drop support for old hardware. Manufacturers have no interest in supplying Microsoft with new drivers or the expense of certification.

Comment

it should read ESC. you could try all the HP drivers and probably get away with the older PCLs
              Last edited by toastygoodness; 09-18-2010, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Got it working! Turns out that Win7 does have a Laserjet IIp driver, which this printer is a clone of.

I guess I just didn't notice the driver in the list last time I checked, because it was way down near the bottom. Also needed to install as Generic/Text Only first, then use Windows Update to change the driver afterward.

Comment

Working...
                X