Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with Antec TruePower2.0 380W

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
    Your gripe was that the fan is too loud.
    I've never thought of those as having loud fans.

Suspect caps problems are screwing the fan control or causing heating such that the fan is running too hard.
    Sorry, there is an error at that post I made:
    Originally posted by goodpsusearch
    In the meanwhile I am concerned about the psu fan. It is thermally controlled and usually it spins at 1100 - 1250 rpm which results in psu running really hot inside. Is there any way to make it run faster? Do you know the exapt point the thermal sensor is?

When fan connected directly at +5v it is running too slow, ~800rpm.
    When running at 12V it was cool, 2280rpm, but way too loud...
    If only there was a way to make the thermal controller more aggresive.
    My gripe was psu getting too hot with the fan attached to the fan controller, so I tried 5V, 12V and 7V.

Fan controller --> 900 - 1250 rpm --> too hot
    5V --> ~800rpm --> too hot
    12V --> 2280rpm --> cool but loud.
    7V --> cool and quiet --> identical but unsafe

Sorry for the typing error

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
      Are you sure the 7V mod is unsafe?

120mm fans at rs are over 20 euros each and 4 euros for the postal service (nice song btw).

I could search at Thessaloniki for fans, but I am not sure this will work. See why:
      1) I buy a more powerful fan and replace the original.
      2) When I power on antec, the fan does not spin at all with low voltage, or it spins, so the psu gets cooler than with the original fan and the fan controller lowers even more the fan volts and stops the fan or keep it working but cooling less or equal than original fan.

Where is the fault at this thought?
      Sorry, I made a mistake there too.... I have slept only 5 hours... sorry...

Comment

If it's 800rpm @ 5V and 2280rpm @ 12v,, then on 7v it's going to be right around 1250-1260rpm which isn't any different than your controller.

Why do you think 7v is unsafe?
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          If it's 800rpm @ 5V and 2280rpm @ 12v,, then on 7v it's going to be right around 1250-1260rpm which isn't any different than your controller.

Why do you think 7v is unsafe?
          strangely, it worked faster at 7V, but I couldn't meter the rpms because there was no ground for mobo connection to show rpms.

Many users across the web claimed its not a good idea to send back current to psu. Some others said that if fan dies and gets sorted, 12V and 5V will be sorted, destroying the psu and maybe things connected to it.

Comment

DC current goes from low volts to high volts.
            There is no 'back current'.
            That's like saying water might run uphill.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Might be a minor issue with EMI from the fan motor coils but you can fix that with a couple small uF caps.
              I'm not sure what an optimal value would be.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

>Why do you think 7v is unsafe?

well, because you told him he shouldn't be deriving 7v from 12v andn 5v rails, doofus.

some discussion here
                http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=719830

---------------------
                but i still say he needs to think about modding only AFTER he changes the caps.
                untill then we can run in circles ("what would happen if?") untill world ends.

it's not important how did it act with old caps.
                btw. goodpsu, did you order the caps that are in the fan speed control circuit?
                if there are any there.

btw. if you're gonan do this often, esr meter would be handy.
                this way you're just guessing what's ok, what not, what needs to be changed etc.
                let me guess, no money for that?
                <wink>

Comment

Originally posted by i4004

but i still say he needs to think about modding only AFTER he changes the caps.
                  untill then we can run in circles ("what would happen if?") untill world ends.
                  I agree.

it's not important how did it act with old caps.
                  btw. goodpsu, did you order the caps that are in the fan speed control circuit?
                  if there are any there.
                  There is one. I am not gonna change that cap. The fan controller is working, no doupt for that. I just would like to add some speed at the fan. For example if it was made to run as it runs + 300rpms it could be great... Anyway...

btw. if you're gonan do this often, esr meter would be handy.
                  this way you're just guessing what's ok, what not, what needs to be changed etc.
                  let me guess, no money for that?
                  <wink>
                  What types are available, at what prices and brands?

I just recapped and repaired an old linkworld 250watt just for fun, putting in place of bulging caps, some good ones I have taken out from macron power (another thread, another story :P ), so it might be useful.

Comment

Trace and draw out the fan controller circuit.
                    Odds are by changing some resistor you can change it's operating point.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

I just noticed that the 2 bulging caps I removed from antec +5vsb are different type!

1xFuhjyyu 1000uF 10V TMR
                      1XFuhjyyu 1000uF 10V TM

just out of curiosity what is the exact difference?

Comment

Is the same type actually. -> TM
                        I dunno what the R is.
                        Sometimes it's there, sometimes not.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

>What types are available, at what prices and brands?

i think best deal is esr micro.......old version:
                          http://preher-tech.com/esrmicro.aspx
                          contact mike about pricing..should be about 60$
                          that is still cheapest assembled esr meter with capacitance measuring one can find.
                          people seem to be satisfied
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...4&page=4&pp=20
                          there are 2 versions now (3.1 and 4.0) and i like some elements of both, so i'm thinking about getting both for 100$...heh...
                          assembled "esr blue" (one piece, not 2) is 110$ and can't measure capacitance...

Comment

Recap complete and successful. My pc is now running with antec truepower 2.0 380.

List of caps changed:

1x10uF 50V Fuhjyyu --> 1x10uF 50V rubycon YXF
                            1x1uF 50V Koshin --> 1x1uF 50V rubycon YXF
                            1x22uF 16V Fuhjyyu --> 1x22uF 25V Panasonic FC
                            1x22uF 50V Koshin --> 1x22uF 50V rubycon YXF
                            1x100uF 25V Fuhjyyu --> 1x100uF 25V rubycon YXF
                            2x1000uF 10V bulged Fuhjyyu --> 2x1000uF 10V Panasonic FM
                            1x220uF 16V Koshin --> 1x220uF 16V rubycon YXF
                            1x470uF 25V Fuhjyyu --> 1x470uF 25V Panasonic FM
                            2x3300uF 16V Fuhjyyu --> 2x3300uF 16V Panasonic FM
                            4x4700uF 10V Fuhjyyu --> 4x3300uF 6.3V Panasonic FK

not replaced caps:
                            1x220uF 400VDC Hitachi HP2
                            fan controller board: 1x16V CB06 Fuhjyyu

Voltages are in specs but the psu still runs hot...
                            Now running idle with pc case open, fan runs at 1000rpm, 5.10V
                            When running 3DMark05, it runs at ~1120, ~5.7V, case open too.

Comment

i was measuring some temps last nite: 50°c and you already can't hold your finger on it for more than a second or two..
                              40 and over is also not pleasant to touch for longer periods...

so you should move away from this perception that electronics must be luke-warm to the touch to be called ok.

OR you can show us the circuit that regulates the fan, and then we'll tell you to check that cap too with esr meter, and replace if faulty.
                              <wink>

input 400v hitachi you can leave alone.

oh yeah, could you say the price (with shipping, perhaps customs etc.) for the caps you got for this psu?

Comment

Can't tell the exact price, because they were ordered together with the replacement caps for macron power psu (see my other thread).

All together: 60.78Euros, including 8 euros for postal service..

They came at 2 packets, because some were out of stock. How stupid to send them separately.

Tomorrow I will try to mod the fan controller with the help of the tech guy from the university.

Comment

you're aware that (for example) about 30eur will buy you decent fortron psu of 350 or 400w, with caps (and cooling) that should have no issues lasting 5-10 years, right?

oh yeah, good luck with the fan mod.
                                  tell us how it went.

Comment

When JG reviewed the 550W True Power II it too had a problem with heat:

I did find out that the thermal protection is in fact set to 50°C because after half an hour in the hot box during test 6, the PSU shut off. I knew it was thermal protection because I couldn't turn the PSU back on with just a simple hand held PSU tester. I pulled the unit out of the case and it was actually so hot that I couldn't hold it in my hand. I set it down on the floor and let it cool down, and not until half an hour later did the PSU come back to life.
                                    This brings up another concern. Channel Well built Antec's typically use Fuhjyyu capacitors on the secondary side. If there's anything Fuhjyyu caps don't like, it's heat. Given the high temps of this unit, one has to question the longevity of the unit. I'd hate to taint a review with speculation, but it's not as if stories of long term failure are nonexistent on the web.
                                    Probably just antec's try to make it as silent as possible by turning down the fan way too far.

Comment

50° measured where?
                                      if it's on cooler surface it's nothing.
                                      if it's air outlet it's something.

Comment

Yup the output temp of the psu.

Comment

We had no luck modding the fan controller. We added resistors in parallel with the thermal sensors but no change was observed. When added a very small one, the psu did not start at all (overheat protection was enabled).

After many tries, I decided just do the 7V mod, as seen in photo.

Recap photos also available...

Volts measured when connected to my main pc, athlon XP 2200+ 1GB DDR 600MHZ, ATI 4650 AGP, 2xIDE 7200 and 2xDVDROM/RW:

V-------------------------Idle---------------3DMark05
                                          5vsb--PCoff:5.06-5.08-5.03-5.05--------5.03-5.05
                                          12V----------------------12.16-12.18-----12.14-12.16
                                          12VB*-------------------12.21-12.23-----12.21-12.24
                                          5V------------------------5.06-5.09--------5.06-5.08
                                          3.3V---------------------3.35-3.37--------3.35-3.36

*mobo connector

One last concern I have about this power supply is that its voltage outputs are constantly going up and down, at very small steps of course, but I have seen more stable outputs in psus..
                                          For example, the +5V line (when pc idle) goes like this at my cheap polymeter lcd screen: 5.06 -> 5.08 -> 5.09 -> 5.06 -> 5.07 -> 5.09 -> 5.06 -> 5.09 -> 5.07 -> 5.08 -> 5.09 etc
                                          Values change in less than a second.
                                          Is it due to the active pfc maybe? Is it safe and good?

I really need to finish working on that antec...
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X