• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this psu safe?

It was the best i could buy
    Attached Files

Re: Is this psu safe?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1479229965

It is funny that they put a cutout on that small PCB for the creepage and clearance but they left the long lead sticking out above the trace, that lead should have been properly trimmed.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yeah... I already trimmed those, i just want to know if it safe for 350w i dont really need more, the 12v rail goes to 11.768 at load so i think its ok for what i need it.

I want to know if its good to put some caps on the end of the cables for more filtering.
      I dont make a full recap because you dont find good caps in Venezuela, i have some matsushita, nichicon, rubycon and ncc/ucc i get out of bad electronics but those are almost allways general purposse cap, i have a couple of low esr tk's i could put at the end of the cables for extra filtering
      Last edited by Drack; 11-15-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I saw that this psu uses two transistor for the 5vsb, and those have a critical cap, what cap would be that?

Comment

The caps that should be safety agency approved look like they probably are. 350W might be pushing that main transformer core pretty hard, and the switch transistors better be really beefy. Comparing the output rectifier current ratings to what the label claims would be wise. Ideally, the rectifier ratings should be 75% or less than the label claims.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The 35 Transformer cant suply 24 amps for the 12v?
            It says is 54 amps at 12v( ITS LIEING...)
            What do you think about the cable caps?
            Last edited by Drack; 11-15-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I checked it has two ym3045n (30A) each that's all on the seccondary side so i think everything comes from a big 12v rail and its split and rectified to the otres or what?
              On the primary heatsink are 2 p13009 they are big, not the ones from Fairchild
              http://online9999.vn/forums/showthread.php?t=23485
              Last edited by Drack; 11-15-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I checked it has two ym3045n (30A) each that's all on the seccondary side so i think everything comes from a big 12v rail and its split and rectified to the otres or what?
                On the primary heatsink are 2 p13009 they are big, not the ones from Fairchild

Comment

I know approximately zero Vietnamese, but if that review is for the model of PSU you have ...

Motorola's original MJE13009 bipolar transistors were very substantial, though in a TO-220 package. Those clones are in a TO-3P package, which is better thermally.

If I follow the numbers in the text correctly, it looks like the STPS3045 is used for the 12A 5V output, the MBR2045 is used for the 11A 3.3V output, and there are 2 F16C20s for the two 10A 12V outputs. The STPS3045 is rated for 30A, 45V. The MBR2045 is rated for 20A, 45V. So those are used very conservatively, which is good. The F16C20 is a 16A, 200V part, I believe, which means it also is used conservatively; the 12V output needs a 100V-200V rated part.

The cores of the output inductors are Micrometals -26 material, which is inexpensive and very good the switch frequency range for which bipolar transistors can be used. It's a material that has been used in switching power supplies since at least the late 1970s.

The TL494 PWM has similarly been in use since the late 1970s. It's performance isn't spectacular, except in the sense that it's inexpensive, well known, and can be used for decent designs.

The only concerns I would have are the main transformer core and output caps. The core might be marginal for 350W. Maybe one of BC's more experienced guys could speak to that with greater certainty. I don't recognize the output caps, so they may be of doubtful quality.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Is not the same psu but they both use the same p13009 and have a similar desing, thanks for the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
                      Is not the same psu but they both use the same p13009 and have a similar desing, thanks for the answer
                      The MJE1300x in TO-220 and 2N654x in TO-3 packages were Motorola's first series of bipolar transistors designed especially for use in switching power supplies. Before that series designers used transistors designed for use in TV horizontal output circuits.
                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Ahh ok thanks Pete
                        What do you think about the caps on the cables?
                        Sorry if im making too much questions

Comment

Someone?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "the caps on the cables".

If you mean the green sleeving on the output wires, it might make working with the output wires a bit easier. The wires themselves look a bit thin. They probably get really warm when conducting close to full rated current.

If you mean the caps on the little AC line filter board, they look like they might be safety agency approved parts, which is a good thing.
                            PeteS in CA

Comment

Im talking about me putting caps on the psu cables for extra filtering, i have a couple of tk low esr 1200uf, i also have some nichicon and rubycon but they are gp caps and are from 1984 but they are good
                              Last edited by Drack; 11-17-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Ohh and i also have one 1000uf samxon km and one 1000uf panny fm all are 16v
                                Last edited by Drack; 11-17-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

This power supply looks more or less okay up to 250-300 Watts continuous. I think 350 Watts might be pushing it.

What CPU and GPU are you trying to run with it? And number of HDDs?

Unless you are running a really high-end video card or SLI/Crossfire, a 250-300 Watt power supply will be able to handle most computers.

I saw that this psu uses two transistor for the 5vsb, and those have a critical cap, what cap would be that?
                                  I don't think the 5VSB in this PSU is 2-transistor. You can see there is a 8-pin DIP IC between the primary heatsinks and one of the small transformers. That's probably a PWM+FET IC, and those are reliable.

In any case, just make sure the output caps on the 5VSB rail are good.

The 35 Transformer cant suply 24 amps for the 12v?
                                  I think probably around 20 Amps would be as far as you should go. Anything more than that, and the voltage on the 12V rail will likely start to drop too much. 11.768 Volts is already a bit low (assuming you took that reading with a multimeter and not through the motherboard's sensors, which are often not accurate at all).

Though one thing you can do is replace those parallel F16C20 rectifiers with something like a MBR20100/STPS20S100 or MBR3060/MBR4060 schottky. Schottky rectifiers have lower voltage drop, so your 12V rail will go up. This will also decrease heat output from the PSU and increase its efficiency.

What do you think about the caps on the cables?
                                  They probably won't help much if they are close to the motherboard.
                                  The caps need to be as close as possible to the PSU rectifiers and inductors if you want them to work well in terms of filtering.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 11-19-2016, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I have a pentium e5700 stock vcore @3.6ghz an r9 270 stock, 8 fans, one 7200rpm hdd and a dvd, those have a peak power draw of someting close to 300w i think, i took the voltages with 2 dmm and Asrock app they all showed the same with furmark and prime 95 running un the background

Comment

Though one thing you can do is replace those parallel F16C20 rectifiers with something like a MBR20100/STPS20S100 or MBR3060/MBR4060 schottky. Schottky rectifiers have lower voltage drop, so your 12V rail will go up. This will also decrease heat output from the PSU and increase its efficiency.

Where are those?
                                      I told the cable thing because i saw super flower using it on they leadex platform and that worked there to kept the ripple under control, the psu on the link its not mine, mine its the one on the Pic i posted
                                      Last edited by Drack; 11-20-2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I think it was a bad idea to put that link, thata its not my psu, that uses the same transistors on the primary, on the secondary mine uses 2 ym3045n (30A) and it has a hole for other one, i think it shares one of the ym3045n for 5v and 3.3 and one for 12v

Comment

Working...
                                        X