Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this is why enermax liberty and noisetakers blow up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is why enermax liberty and noisetakers blow up!

this glue is conductive once it cooks on hot parts.
    the result is leakage to the gates of these mosfets.
    result..BANG!
    Attached Files

Re: this is why enermax liberty and noisetakers blow up!

Dammit! Glue can't be easily removed, I suppose: these psus are doomed to death ...

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

well..i understand them: without those small chokes the damn thing just wouldn't work...hehe...

Comment

just scrape it off and tack the beads with rtv.
        just had a proliant ml370 psu go with a bang due to the same glue.
        gotta rebuild it and clean out the other one in the chassis.
        hey a $20 dual xeon server is gonna need work!

Comment

They probably wanted to glue the ferrite beads to avoid any vibration noise. Good idea, bad practice.

Comment

A good design include the bead on the wire soldered to the PCB instead on the transistor's leads. Otherwise silicon RTV on these beads on the component leads.

Nasty to see this tan-colored glue still used to this day. NASTY.

I had a monitor, I pulled components and scraped the areas clean of this. It was in use for awhile so it was more easier to chip off brown/black stuff instead of trying to tear up monitor because that damned tan glue is stronger than krazy glue!?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

@ kc8adu

If for any reason you decide not to repair the Enermax, I'm looking for a PS223 monitor IC for my Enermax.
              E8400 8G Kingston PC6400 RAM
              GA-EP35-DS3R mobo
              HD4850 512M GA, 2x 1T WD SATA drives
              CoolerMaster case/Seasonic 850w PSU

Comment

Good to know that that the problem has been found. Now I know why mine blew up.
                Thanks.

Comment

Actually blew up ?
                  senuke x | p90x

Comment

Originally posted by FernandoBayard View Post
                    Actually blew up ?
                    A loud pop, sparks and lots of smoke. I did take it out of the pc after it tripped the circuit breaker. I plugged in an ATX power supply tester and as soon as I turned it on - Poof!

Comment

Damn I got two Galaxy's, I'm wondering if I should examine them? I'd hate to have this happen to me. They are good with warranty work, they have done the same PSU for me about four times.
                      X99 5930K
                      X99-gaming 9
                      EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                      Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                      SSD'S
                      Corsair AX1200

Comment

These are older enermax's, new ones do not suffer from the same conductive glue.

Comment

I don't like that glue at all. It takes a lot of effort to remove completely.
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Hi all, just ran into a 620 watt Liberty that tests ok with a power supply tester, but fails to boot the PC. Debating if it's worth trying to fix before the sparks fly or just scrap it. A new Corsair CX600 is only $40 after rebate, any thoughts if cleaning off the glue and recapping would make it trustworthy again?

Comment

The tester puts a hard short on the PSU pin /PS_ON (14 or 16 depending on 20 or 24 pin connector) to ground which pulls the +5V down low enough to cause the power on. If you measure this pin during the power up you will likely see that the voltage does not drop far enough - needs to go below 0.8V to power up. I'm guessing but I suspect that there is a resistor in the PSU that is between the /PS_ON pin and the actual input to the switching device, and that it is out or spec (high resistance) causing the sense voltage to be too high... but that's just a theory in the absence of a circuit diagram

THIS LINK may be worth a read..

I have seen this with certain MoBo before and in fact my Enermax and MoBo combo intermittently suffer this.... I have just replaced the PSU with a new Seasonic 850W
                              E8400 8G Kingston PC6400 RAM
                              GA-EP35-DS3R mobo
                              HD4850 512M GA, 2x 1T WD SATA drives
                              CoolerMaster case/Seasonic 850w PSU

Comment

I have yet another of the units with clicking primary. I've replaced the film cap, the MOV, the input cap and the PFC choke from similar scrapped Enermax unit, still does it. And I am not sure if this is quite normal, but there is 136 volts on the primary heatsink against earth ground.

There is almost no glue at all in this unit and most of it is on secondary. Nothing really on primary silicon. Maybe some of the primary silicon is bad, or insulation tab between them and the heatsink?
                                Last edited by Behemot; 04-03-2015, 04:18 PM.
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Been also thinking whether it may be some leaking ceramic cap or something. The ground behind rdectifier may be somewhat flotaing over the earth ground because of that and have higher potential. Bu I guess I will have to start with removing the heatsink and cheking all the silicon and insulation tabs/O rings…?
                                  Last edited by Behemot; 04-03-2015, 06:32 PM.
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                  X