Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The KING

Originally posted by everell View Post
    Was it powering a Pentium 3 or Pentium 4 type motherboard?
    Nothing. It had the jumpstart wire without the PSU attached to a motherboard.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Sounds like a great repair project! So did you fix it? That would be a real challenge for you. Post some pictures and tell us what all blew up.

I did notice that my Sun Pro had terrific "cost out" features. The driver transistors did not have any 4148 protection diodes. There were no 4148 protection diodes in the base circuits of the switching transistors. With Power_Good low indicating a problem, the output voltages were present instead of shut down. Now I wonder if that ceramic fuse is really just a solid jumper wire!

Two of my IMicro power supplies will handle all of my Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 boards. The other IMicro (the one that gave so much trouble) and the KING will handle the Pentium 3 board. So at least all are functional.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Wow, for that circuit not to work, that means those JEE caps really must have gone high ESR. I guess JEE really is that terrible
        Of the ten JEE small capacitors I replaced only three had bad readings:

47 uF/16 volts measured 12 uF esr=10

10 uF/50 volts measured 8 uF esr=5.3

2.2 uF/50 volts measured esr=3.4
        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

What about leakage?

Years ago, I built a single supply audio preamp. So the inputs and outputs were floating at half B+ (biased with resistor chains), isolated by coupling caps.

I used "recovered" caps of questionable origin and one channel didn't work. Turns out I lost bias because one of the caps was leaky- looked like a bad opamp. Even replaced the opamp to no avail.

Finally got disgusted and stole some Nichicons from something else I built. Worked fine after that...
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
            What about leakage?
            Sorry, the ten small JEE capacitors have already been trashed. Even if the other seven were measuring good, I wouldn't trust them. So just as well that all ten are now Nichicon PW or Panasonic.

Comment

Sorry, the ten small JEE capacitors have already been trashed. Even if the other seven were measuring good, I wouldn't trust them. So just as well that all ten are now Nichicon PW or Panasonic.
              I hear ya...

Don't forget the two 4.7u/50V caps in the base drive ckts for the two switchers.

Have fun and good luck!

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                Don't forget the two 4.7u/50V caps in the base drive ckts for the two switchers.
                Those two capacitors were part of the ten that I replaced. They were 2.2 uF rather than 4.7 uF. The switching transistors were 13007.

Comment

Sounds like a great repair project! So did you fix it? That would be a real challenge for you. Post some pictures and tell us what all blew up.

I did notice that my Sun Pro had terrific "cost out" features. The driver transistors did not have any 4148 protection diodes. There were no 4148 protection diodes in the base circuits of the switching transistors. With Power_Good low indicating a problem, the output voltages were present instead of shut down. Now I wonder if that ceramic fuse is really just a solid jumper wire!

Two of my IMicro power supplies will handle all of my Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 boards. The other IMicro (the one that gave so much trouble) and the KING will handle the Pentium 3 board. So at least all are functional.
                  I didn't. It was just not worth it,and 5vsb transistor along with a rectifier were both reduced to ashes. Literally paperthin heatsinks,crapcaps galore and and utter crap build quality.

I just gutted it and got a mid-to-high-end Deer that was already recapped with Rubycon MHZs (not fakes,I checked them twice),a few Teapos (I think they still work ) and Pannies. 5vsb Pannies. Also,rectifiers are all up to running a Pentium 4 (30A for 5v and 3.3v, 20A 60v rectifier for 12v )

This is the PC it powers now:

ASRock 775V88+
                  Pentium 4 3.00GHz LGA775 - EM64T support
                  Sony CDRW/DVD-ROM
                  40GB PATA HDD
                  320GB WDC SATA HDD - not connected atm,I have to wire up a SATA power cable since the normal 4pin Molex doesn't seem to work when used on this board.
                  ASUS Radeon HD3450 512MB
                  old PCI audio card I don't remember - filler card,unused
                  Realtek 8139C NIC
                  Winfast TV2000XP Deluxe - DScaler,since I'm going x64 this time

All these are powered by my Fortrex ST-400 (Deer) PSU. It's one of those PFC models by the way,and the PFC actually is real,not fake.

As for my old I-Micro,well,it's time had come and it was finally scrapped. I replaced it with a FSP FSP300-60GTP which I had to replace some bulged caps on. Removed the scorched 5v load resistor for safety reasons. (the heatshrink on it was literally ASHES!)
                  Last edited by Dan81; 08-30-2015, 11:51 AM.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                    As for my old I-Micro,well,it's time had come and it was finally scrapped. I replaced it with a FSP FSP300-60GTP
                    Was this your last working IMicro? One of the first IMicros I repaired is now powering a Pentium 3 733 Mhz motherboard pullout from a Compaq Deskpro ELN. Has been running several weeks.

Comment

Was this your last working IMicro? One of the first IMicros I repaired is now powering a Pentium 3 733 Mhz motherboard pullout from a Compaq Deskpro ELN. Has been running several weeks.
                      Yes,this was my last (and only) working I-Micro (rebranded "Delux"). I scrapped it when I upgraded to an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ system,which was really power hungry (along with the usual stuff like 4 pin ATX12v cable it also required a 4 pin HDD/CD/DVD Molex cable) so I replaced it with the FSP which can take much more than the I-Micro.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Now I feel like the last person in the world to have a working IMicro! I thought it was better than the Sun Pro (KING) in the first post in this thread.

Comment

I don't know....This doesn't look like a Sun Pro to me. The layout looks like it, but nothing else. It doesn't use the typical Sun Pro font for the "fuse warning," KT markings on the transformer (with a different font), an actual TI 494 chip. Also, I don't trust the UL number or KY-xxx number. I've seen a "Rhino" branded unit with the Sun Pro UL number, KY-450ATX model number, but a Leadman was inside. Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium4 View Post
                            gross!
                            144?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                              Also, I don't trust the UL number or KY-xxx number. I've seen a "Rhino" branded unit with the Sun Pro UL number, KY-450ATX model number, but a Leadman was inside. Gross!
                              Could be that Sun Pro and Leadman are (or used to be) the same company - at least that is my theory anyways. I think Leadman used to have some low-end units that were very much like the KY-450ATX. Also, Leadman/PowMax and Sun Pro are the only two manufacturers that I know that use different size diodes for the bridge rectifier on the primary side (usually two big and two small ones).

Or perhaps Sun Pro copied some of Leadman's designs or cost cutting procedures. Either way, both companies make very crappy PSUs. Maybe some of Sun Pro's "high end" units aren't that bad. But still, I wouldn't spend money buying one.

Comment

Working...
                              X