bad capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad capacitor

Hi I am new to posting on here my name is David from Wigan Lancashire in England.

I am trying to fix a psu on a Baird x37dtv I have replaced the start up caps as they were bulging so now the tv will switch on so a victory there.

The screen now flashes on and off, using info from one of the members on here I have been testing the big Cap 150uf 400v when warmed up with a hair dryer the tv works perfect except for a slight hum on sound.
    My question is should the big cap hold the 400v for quite a while after switch off as I have tested the voltage while working and its just over 400 volts once warmed up, before using the hairdryer its only getting to 332 volts, 10 mins after switch off and its showing no voltage is this capacitor buggered shouldn't it still be charged up

Thanks in advance for any advice

DV
    Last edited by davidvincent; 09-18-2014, 05:07 AM.

Re: bad capacitor

I have isolated the capacitor by cutting pieces of plastic and surrounded the cap so the heat goes on to the cap and not surrounding components and the tv starts to work after 30 seconds with the hairdryer I think it is defo this cap so I will order a new one

DV

Comment

Ok it sounds like the pfc is failing what psu is in the tv (model number) and does the cap look physically failed ?
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Hi thanks for your response

the cap looks fine, the psu is AD301M24-4N1

There is a thread on here were he had the same fault and heated the cap up and it worked he replaced the cap and it was the same, now like I posted I used some plastic and surrounded the cap and heated it up and bingo I had it on for 2 hours then switch it off for 5 mins and to get it back on you have to heat it up again

regards

David

Comment

Try replacing the cap with a higher value like 180uf 400-450v.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Would this make any difference

Comment

What adjascent components may be heating up during the test?

Comment

I will upload a picture

Comment

You can see the components near the Cap from this photo
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davidvincent View Post
                    Would this make any difference
                    I usally replace 150uf with 180uf on sets that are worth something it basically gives cleaner voltage to the switchers.

Comment

I dont think its the cap what voltage does the cap measure when the set is on ?
                      Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 09-18-2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

around 330 -340 volts at my latest test

Comment

the cap goes down to nothing within a few mins when not plugged in

Comment

I just done another test on the cap
                            Cold no power ie not plugged in 0 volts
                            Plugged in not switched on 350 volts
                            Turned on screen flashing 340 volts
                            Use hairdryer on Cap until screen stops flashing (steady backlight) 325 volts
                            Last edited by davidvincent; 09-18-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Interesting, sounds like something els but replace the cap first to rule that out.

Comment

ok I will get back once I have the replacement I will order one off ebay

thanks for your help

DV

Comment

Originally posted by davidvincent View Post
                                  ok I will get back once I have the replacement I will order one off ebay

thanks for your help

DV
                                  Your welcome, keep us updated

Comment

Hi after looking at it again and taking into account all that you guys have said I am now of the belief that the 400v cap is not at fault.

I have really isolated the 400v well using cardboard and plastic and blew warm air above it and the tv started to work, so above it is a diode (that is ok) and a ceramic cap so I put a tube on the ceramic cap and blew warm air the tv did not change.

So above the Ceramic cap there is another diode that seems ok. two small transistor's 1 big transistor TIP31C and 4 very suspect small electrolytic caps 3 @ 47uf 25v and 1 @100uf 25v I have put a tube over the caps I seem to get a reaction from the 100uf cap when I blow warm air on it I am now waiting for the tv to cool down and repeat the tests a few more times

BTW the electrolytic caps are samxon which are known to be pretty bad caps

At last I maybe getting somewhere

I will post again later with results

DV
                                    Last edited by davidvincent; 09-19-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

just shotgun all those samxons.
                                      that series/color are known bad.
                                      nice to track it down to a single troublemaker but in the long term those all need replacement.

Comment

Yes Agreed the low voltage side is full of them I changed 2 of the samxon start up caps they had blown their tops well on their way anyway.

I am going to change out the 100uf first and if I get the tv working ok I will give the option to my friend (its his tv) to do a full cap change to rubycon caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X