No announcement yet.

Welder not turning on - Learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it better to put higher or lower value resistor on R209 and R207 ? I mean which way is safer.

Comment

That's the problem. Them 2 resistors I am not so sure of what there was in there, I went after the carnage trying to identify what was there first place. Some were really easy to identify, others not so. The thing here is to go through example circuits that are similar to yours and see what they used. Pull up some datasheets from the PWM from different manufacturers and compare. Sometime you know the resistor code started with a 1 and ended in a zero for example. So far R207 and R209 I haven't come up with anything too good uet.

R207 ended with xx01. So a 1001 = 1k ohm. Sounds plausible and should work.
      R209 got not a clue. Cording to your schematic, it is a gate drive resistor to a different MOSFET. Knowing that it should be something less than 100 Ohm. Don't forget there are already 22Ohms in line.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-21-2024, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Oyyy, made a mistake yesterday, R209 goes to the Source, not to the gate. It's a current sense resistor. So 1 v is the max here. As soon as the CS pin goes above 1V there is current limiting / cut off. Thinking about this, the resistance must be quite high. Higher than 1k Ohms. More like something 10k or 100k Ohms. Can you check the capacitance of C204?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
          Oyyy, made a mistake yesterday, R209 goes to the Source, not to the gate. It's a current sense resistor. So 1 v is the max here. As soon as the CS pin goes above 1V there is current limiting / cut off. Thinking about this, the resistance must be quite high. Higher than 1k Ohms. More like something 10k or 100k Ohms. Can you check the capacitance of C204?

Update:

Here is some photos of the main board. Im trying to remove the big heatsinks right now to see what is under them.

Comment

Heatsinks and fans out here are some more photos.

Comment

What a pain that is! Looks like it has some bad solder joints too.

Comment

Which one?

Comment

Some soldering joints do not look so good especially the lager pin components if it were me doing this I would re-solder those joints for good measure

9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The biggest problem with an inverter welder is not continuity like voltage, it's more current based like. The circuit has to be able to carry the current. I do remember a case not too long ago, where one of the problems was burnt track on the PCB that made continuity but couldn't carry any load.

So what was your “incident”? I don't see anything blown up (yet)?

Comment

The biggest problem with an inverter welder is not continuity like voltage, it's more current based like. The circuit has to be able to carry the current. I do remember a case not too long ago, where one of the problems was burnt track on the PCB that made continuity but couldn't carry any load.

So what was your “incident”? I don't see anything blown up (yet)?
                      Nothing blown up just one of the heatsink was under voltage so it shocked me.. but it's connected to diode which's base is connected to the line.

I understand that but the problem is it didn't even turns on.

Comment

Show me what heatsink and what diode. The welder may not turn on if the low voltage supply isn't working.

Comment

Show me what heatsink and what diode. The welder may not turn on if the low voltage supply isn't working.
                          Heatsink connected to this row of components.
                          4x STTH12R06D
                          2x 1H18AF

Comment

So this is the front lcd panel with potentiometers and welding style adjustments with a small pcb it's connected with 2 cables to the main board

Comment

These are the 2 connectors. So I assume the small board next to it what we were fixing it's part of the supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Olles4 View Post

Heatsink connected to this row of components.
                                4x STTH12R06D
                                2x 1H18AF
                                The 2 IGBT's are FGH60N60's. If they are blown, there is plenty to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by Olles4 View Post
                                  So this is the front lcd panel with potentiometers and welding style adjustments with a small pcb it's connected with 2 cables to the main board
                                  I was pretty sure that front LCD panel works of that board, but I guess not. Or does it loop just through that main board, but the power comes from the little board?
                                  Last edited by CapLeaker; 06-01-2024, 03:51 PM.

Comment

These two are bridge rectifier's am I right ?

Comment

yes

Comment

yes
                                        Hello. I have done some measurings. So on the small board the IC UC3843 pin6 (output to gate) is only 0,7mV and it seems like it didn't want to drive the mosfet
                                        How much Volts should i get on mosfet Drain and Source ?
                                        here is a link to ic UC3843BN datasheet(1/15 Pages) STMICROELECTRONICS | HIGH PERFORMANCE CURRENT MODE PWM CONTROLLER (alldatasheet.com)

Comment

c209 is jumpy but its something around 17 nanoF

Comment

Working...
                                          X