Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

siemens sitop 24 vdc Smps outputs higher voltage 33 vdc

Hi everybody.

I have two 3 phase 400 vac smps siemens sitop 24 vdc giving red light overload and higher output 33 vdc.

The switching is controlled from micro controller.

Is it micro controller or transformer ? Or else pls ,?
    Attached Files
    Badcaps Electronics Repair Forum & Schematic Search
    Last edited by PedroGG90; 02-09-2024, 06:14 AM.

Open it up and have a look and take some measurements??? If the PWM is bad, you wouldn't get anything at all. Same thing with the transformer and you get like 33V on the output. What is the full spec of this PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      Open it up and have a look and take some measurements??? If the PWM is bad, you wouldn't get anything at all. Same thing with the transformer and you get like 33V on the output. What is the full spec of this PSU?
      Specs : Siemens 6EP1437-3BA00 SITOP Modular DIN Rail Power Supply 24VDC 40A 960W 3-Phase

This power supply mosfets gets pwm signal from a microcontroller not generic IC.

So maybe that microcontroller is faulty ?

here is a video describing how the power supply behaves .
      REPAIR SIEMENS SITOP MODULAR POWER SUPPLY 20A 6EP1336-3BA00 | INGRESS MALAYSIA.JRN : 4220www.ingress.com.myIngress Malaysia is a leading Industrial Electroni...

Comment

wow... it's transformer is squealing like a little piggy! Interesting... what is the micro controller? Compare the AC power draw with a good power supply. Check how much volts you get on the main filter capacitor. I suspect there is something wrong on the primary side. I guess you have to do more dismantling of the PSU.

Comment

wow... it's transformer is squealing like a little piggy! Interesting... what is the micro controller? Compare the AC power draw with a good power supply. Check how much volts you get on the main filter capacitor. I suspect there is something wrong on the primary side. I guess you have to do more dismantling of the PSU.
          Do you think it's maybe capacitor ?

I will to check them in my bench .

Comment

Dunno. Could be. But that's where I would start.

Comment

Dunno. Could be. But that's where I would start.
              Can an lcr meter do the job ?

it can measure dissipation factor "D" of capacitor .

Comment

A proper LCR that actually tests the cap under high voltage, yes. Basically a leakage test. The little battery operated LCR's are junk on high voltage capacitors.
                for now, just test the Dc voltage on the cap, then switch your DMM to AC and see how much AC you get. This gets you at least on a ballpark.
                Last edited by CapLeaker; 02-10-2024, 11:52 AM.

Comment

A proper LCR that actually tests the cap under high voltage, yes. Basically a leakage test. The little battery operated LCR's are junk on high voltage capacitors.
                  for now, just test the Dc voltage on the cap, then switch your DMM to AC and see how much AC you get. This gets you at least on a ballpark.
                  Hi , i checked the primary capacitor and it gives low Dissipation factor and good capacitance.

I also checked the secondary capacitors, and its all good , also all semiconductors are good. So power side is not faulty i think.

I still suspect bad PWM signal , i mean the output is there "33 volts dc " but it should be 24 volts dc. maybe the modulation is bad or the output sense regulator inside the microcontroller is faulty .

Note : One thing i am sure of is that all controls are inside a small pcb containing 2 optocouplers and a microcontroller. There is a separate uc3845 PWM ic but it controls PFC (power factor correction) circuit

Comment

PedroGG90
                    With high voltage caps you got to do a leakage test in order to be sure the cap is fine.Any other test is pretty much useless there. Been there and done that. Yes, I agree that there is something wrong with the switching, since the transformer squeals like a pig.
                    Make sure you measure the DC voltage on the primary cap. I wonder if something isn't right with the feedback rather than anything else, since it kind of does work and you get 33v instead of 24vdc. Things can get messed up if that PSU has a PFC, but the PFC isn't working. So make sure the PFC works if it has it first.

Comment

PedroGG90
                      With high voltage caps you got to do a leakage test in order to be sure the cap is fine.Any other test is pretty much useless there. Been there and done that. Yes, I agree that there is something wrong with the switching, since the transformer squeals like a pig.
                      Make sure you measure the DC voltage on the primary cap. I wonder if something isn't right with the feedback rather than anything else, since it kind of does work and you get 33v instead of 24vdc. Things can get messed up if that PSU has a PFC, but the PFC isn't working. So make sure the PFC works if it has it first.
                      Ill let you know next week

Comment

I would agree and add something like if I were repairing this drive and especially if the drive is over 10 years old and they are not brand name capacitors I would just go ahead and replace all of the capacitors and see if it behave like normal I have repaired several VFD and servo drives that were over 10 years old and were showing over current with no motor or servo motor hooked up or squeaking not as bad as yours but it did sound weird when it would run
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                          I would agree and add something like if I were repairing this drive and especially if the drive is over 10 years old and they are not brand name capacitors I would just go ahead and replace all of the capacitors and see if it behave like normal I have repaired several VFD and servo drives that were over 10 years old and were showing over current with no motor or servo motor hooked up or squeaking not as bad as yours but it did sound weird when it would run
                          Hi , I checked all the caps , they are good and high quality " rubycon" its less likely that they are faulty.

I still havent checked optocouplers from feedback loop.

But i still posit on the idea that the pwm signal is not correct or not sensed very well eather from logic side or analogue side.

Comment

PedroGG90
                            Ok i have replaced primary and secondary capacitors with fresh ones , and the red light of overload has gone and i only see green light .

But i still hear that transformer squealing and still got 33 vdc not 24 volts ,

Any ideas ?

Comment

Test optocouplers to see if inside led/foto transistor worked,

Like this video Off power opto testing
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3qYXnbVhuo

and test full feedback path to see if it switching led on 24v threshold.
                              What element drive optocoupler? Tl431, zener, comparator, else...?
                              Last edited by harp; 02-15-2024, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Sounds to me that it is still not regulating. Look at the whole feedback circuit on the primary and the secondary.

Comment

Sounds to me that it is still not regulating. Look at the whole feedback circuit on the primary and the secondary.
                                  I will check and let you know .

Comment

Maybe take some high resolution, straight shot pictures, so we can see something.

Comment

Maybe take some high resolution, straight shot pictures, so we can see something.
                                      This power supply is a hell to disassemble.

Ill try my best.

Comment

Originally posted by harp View Post
                                        Test optocouplers to see if inside led/foto transistor worked,

Like this video Off power opto testing
                                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3qYXnbVhuo

and test full feedback path to see if it switching led on 24v threshold.
                                        What element drive optocoupler? Tl431, zener, comparator, else...?
                                        I need to open this thing to tell you , ill be back !

Comment

Working...
                                        X