Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELL Vostro 1320 (KAL80 LA-4232P) Nvidia Bios

Hello guys,

I have a Dell Vostro 1320 with Discrete Nvidia 9300m graphics card (it is kind of rare, usually UMA integrated video card). I wanted to update the BIOS and it got corrupted (long story). I cannot find a working BIOS for the discrete version on the internet. When I try to extract the bios from winpflash (original dell website), the size is 2,04MB instead of 2,00MB so I can't write the bin file. Also something strange, in the schematic there should be a Macronix SPI Flash but I have a Winbond 25x15av SPI Flash (2MB).

Please, provide me a working Bios dump for this model. It would make my year . I can flash anything (already tried everything on the internet).

Thank you very much.

Re: DELL Vostro 1320 (KAL80 LA-4232P) Nvidia Bios

try this but make backup

all you need to do with that 2.04mb file s to cut everything after 0x1FFFF0 in any hex editor

here is your file
    Attached Files
    Im Back... sort of...

Comment

EDIT: can you provide the link to the bios download on dell pls ala_borbe .
      Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-05-2019, 06:21 PM.
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by ala_borbe View Post
        try this but make backup

all you need to do with that 2.04mb file s to cut everything after 0x1FFFF0 in any hex editor

here is your file
        Hello. I already tried to cut the first and last 0.04 mb. I tried your file. The result is the same as when the bios is corrupted.

I will go in a little bit more detail. I had no battery so I used PFLASH16 from DOS to flash A08 bios from A04 bios, however I was impacient and thought the update is done and removed the cord. Simptoms are. I power on, fan spins for 1 sec then it stops, after that the block of leds in the center light up, last 2 leds are always on and then 3rd led from right to left starts blinking. If i deatach the heatsink from the cpu and let it go hot the fan spins faster (this means bios can detect that the cpu is hot). From the service manual I can see this means gpu error or motherboard error.

I don't know if I can fry the GPU by just flashing another bios, I thought the GPU drivers are in the VBIOS (think in the same chip). I would like to know your opinion. I can take pictures if needed.

@SMDFlea The link with the BIOS is here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us...iverid=r262270

I have the skills needed to reprogram any chip on the board if you can help.

Thank you very much.

The simptoms are like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-h74D_zIQk

I am sure it is not a ram or other problem, since the problem came after that BIOS flash.

Edit: Is there a different EC that is flashed during BIOS update? Maybe I need EC firmware too but I am not sure if this Laptop has an EC.
        Last edited by nd03; 01-06-2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

The bios link is the one i gt and extracted,but the bios is 8MB not 2MB, all the bios`es posted online are 2MB. 25x15av ? , thats not the part number .

EDIT: I`ve attatched the extracted file , the offset should start at 1200 .

What is your service tag number . Your motherboard is a 09H1G5 LA-4232P
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-06-2019, 08:54 AM.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            The bios link is the one i gt and extracted,but the bios is 8MB not 2MB, all the bios`es posted online are 2MB. 25x15av ? , thats not the part number .

EDIT: I`ve attatched the extracted file , the offset should start at 1200 .

What is your service tag number . Your motherboard is a 09H1G5 LA-4232P
            Hello. It is a Winbond 25X16AVS1G (2MB not 8MB). My service tag:7HLZPK1.
            You are correct it is an LA-4232P with NVIDIA GPU 9300m and Rev 1.0. I am confused since in the schematics I should have a Macronix SPI FLASH, not Winbond. The laptop was never serviced before.
            Last edited by nd03; 01-06-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

It doesn`t matter whether its macronix or winbond as long as they are equivalent, the`yll both be supported in the bios, as long as we can find one. Whats odd about the bios from the dell link is its an AMD bios,i`m almost certain.So the bios is the wrong one.

Comment

It doesn`t matter whether its macronix or winbond as long as they are equivalent, the`yll both be supported in the bios, as long as we can find one. Whats odd about the bios from the dell link is its an AMD bios,i`m almost certain.So the bios is the wrong one.
                Maybe that is why i bricked it in the first place. I am kind of sure that it is not booting because the GPU drive is not correct. it is a Winbond 25X16AVSIG not 1G. I selected this in my programmer and it shows me it is 2MB. That is strange.

EDIT: I can try the bios you gave me but how do i fit an 8MB image in a 2MB SPI Flash? Dell is wierd...
                EDIT2: If it helps the Laptop was on A04 bios when I tried to update.
                Last edited by nd03; 01-06-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Ah, its me thats wrong,but i won`t edit my other post .The tools that i usually use to extract dell bios`es had a few problems extracting it, i think its found a previous extracted file in the temp files or somewhere and renamed the bios V130A08.bin .I`ll have to look into that further to avoid that happening again.
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-06-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Ah, its me thats wrong,but i won`t edit my other post .The tools that i usually use to extract dell bios`es had a few problems extracting it, i think its found a previous extracted file in the temp files or somewhere and renamed the bios V130A08.bin .I`ll have to look into that further to avoid that happening again.
                    Oh ok. To extract the bios I just run that tool and went under C:\Windows\Temp\WinPflash and there was a bios.rom, but it does not work.

Comment

I managed to extract the file correcly this time, doh , and its exactly the same as the one Ala_borbe posted,that bios is the right one.
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-06-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I managed to extract the file correcly this time, doh , and its exactly the same as the one Ala_borbe posted,that bios is the right one.
                        Well that is strange... Offset is 0 in this case, right? I flashed it but same problem

edit: Can status register be a problem?
                        Last edited by nd03; 01-06-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nd03 View Post
                          Oh ok. To extract the bios I just run that tool and went under C:\Windows\Temp\WinPflash and there was a bios.rom, but it does not work.

its because the bios you got from C:\Windows\Temp\WinPflash is 2,098KB it needs cutting with a hex editor as Ala_borbe said .

block: 0-1FFFFF (block length 200000)

Use the bios he posted ,its the right size 2,048KB
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-06-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

its because the bios is 2,098KB it needs cutting with a hex editor as Ala_borbe said .

block: 0-1FFFFF (block length 200000)
                            Yeap, I already did that. It still doesn't work.

EDIT: Did that already. Should I change status register too?
                            Last edited by nd03; 01-06-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Just use your programmer with default settings, just make sure to verify afterwards. What programmer is it .

Comment

Just use your programmer with default settings, just make sure to verify afterwards. What programmer is it .
                                i used default. XGecuPro using Xgpro v8.11 flashed countless of SPI Flashes and it works. I verified after. If i just erase the bios and solder it like this there is no sign of life. If I flash this bios you gave me and solder it, it will do what I described before.

Comment

Flash with the bios from post #2

Comment

Flash with the bios from post #2
                                    I did.

Comment

Bios version A04 .There`s 2 different ones,for 32 and 64 bit .
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Bios version A04 .There`s 2 different ones,for 32 and 64 bit .
                                        32bit and 64 bit cpu's or what? I will try those 2

Comment

Working...
                                        X