Macbook A1708 EMC3164 battery not detected laptop on when power cable in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook A1708 EMC3164 battery not detected laptop on when power cable in

HI everyone i have strange problem i have macbook A1708 battery not detected
    i have change new battery still same, when i plug charger in to laptop it can turn on soon as i take out cable macbook turn off. anyone knows how do i solve this problem?
    thanks

Re: Macbook A1708 EMC3164 battery not detected laptop on when power cable in

Measure the voltage on each pin of the battery connector and post the measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Measure the voltage on each pin of the battery connector and post the measurements.
      Hi thanks for quick reply i just want to know battery flex cud be the problem?
      or measure the just other battery pin?

Comment

We are checking the voltage to confirm if the I2C / SMBUS interface lines are ok or if they are strapped. This can halt battery detection / charging.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
          We are checking the voltage to confirm if the I2C / SMBUS interface lines are ok or if they are strapped. This can halt battery detection / charging.
          Thanks mate for all your help really appreciated

Comment

You are quite welcome.

To future readers, the fault was the dual ESD diode on the battery pack, D6950.

One diode inside the package was fine with a ~3volt reading.

The other diode was at 0volts. Removal of this defective diode restored the SMBUS communication (2 lines) with the battery pack.

Moving forward, the part should be replaced to protect the same lines in the future.

Source the part from a donor board or AliExpress.

Comment

Datasheet for the part @ D6950 is attached.

You can purchase these from any distributor of SEMTECH branded parts.

They are available here:

(suggest to buy more than you need as these are very very small devices and can easily be lost in the application or rework of the component onto the circuit board)

https://lcsc.com/product-detail/ESD-...T_C512374.html

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...2T-TNT/5118675

https://www.findchips.com/search/RCL...8aAlBVEALw_wcB
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mon2; 07-22-2022, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X